Wyoming - Antelope Hunt

GR HUNTER

I drew an antelope tag for Wyoming for this fall. I know a few members have been out west for antelope before but this will be my first antelope hunt.  I was wondering if anyone flew out and how they handled the meat and cape/head. Seems like its not a tremendous amount of meat so I'm thinking I can just take it with me. Wish I had the time to drive out. 

• Like 2

I drew an antelope tag for Wyoming for this fall. I know a few members have been out west for antelope before but this will be my first antelope hunt.  I was wondering if anyone flew out and how they handled the meat and cape/head. Seems like its not a tremendous amount of meat so I'm thinking I can just take it with me. Wish I had the time to drive out. 

It’s been a few years for me but I had it frozen and put in a box with dry ice labeled as such and checked as luggage. I brought a rubber hose and cut pieces for the mule deer rack tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Lopes are easy, I bone it out and put it in soft cooler and check in. Last summer I was able to put the cap, horns and meat in one soft cooler, weighted right at 50 pounds.

You'd want to be sure than the meat was well wrapped, however, because the horns and cape STINK to high heaven...

Also a good idea to have a cooler with ice in the vehicle while you hunt...My first hunt, on the advice of a friend who had hunted them many times, all of our animals were skinned, boned and on ice within an hour of the kill..Meat was excellent...On the second trip, some of the guys decided it would be OK to throw a couple of bags of ice in the body cavity and drop off the unskinned carcass at a processor at the end of the day...I chose to donate my meat on that trip, but the guys who brought thiers home said they wished they had donated it....

• Like 2