Huge Buck Ithaca/Cayuga Heights 16 pt?

HectorBuckBuster

Story I heard:

Buck had been hanging in the large cemetary and was basicaly tame - people would walk right up to it.

Guy found out part of the cemetary was privately owned, so he contacted the out of state owner for permission to hunt, which he got.

So he then dressed in street cloths - like the deer was used to - walked up to it on the land he had permission, and shot it.

If true, I would keep it under the radar too, as there would be no pride for me in a kill that way.

he shoulda wrestled it down and slit it's throaght and said it attacked him.then he could have something to brag about.LOL.

Even if they aren't put in the book... if someone other than the owner knows about it.. it will spread like wildfire

I would agree with you NY but i can relate to WNY's point. I worked for about 10yrs in my youth(oh my god i can't believe i just used that phrase), on a farm near my house. The manager had worked there 30 yrs and our families saw each other all the time. He lived in a caretakers house on the one end of the property and one day asked me to run over to the house and get some tools he had on the back porch. When i got there i peaked in the window to the living room and there were 5 absolute slobs on the wall. Two were Booners and over 180". He had shot them in the 70's and never really spoke much about them. Today things are much different though and word gets out very quickly. No one can take a deer without someone at least getting a cell phone pic of it. If its over 140" its going to get passed along to someone, not to mention if its pushing 185 like this one.

Does anyone know the date this deer was shot???

I was just in Ithaca for the last 3 days and stayed with friends who live about a 1/4 mile give or take from the cemetery mentioned. If the date is the same as the story I heard I doubt this guy will be showing this deer off too much. If the date this deer was shot matches the date of the story I heard I'll share it with everyone here.

There was a post on here last year of the 12 point running on the Cornell Golf Course (with pictures), pretty much bordering Cayuga Heights. I havent heard a word of this going around town ad my father works at Cornell U. I will have to check around and see if anyone has heard anything.

This is getting more and more interesting lmao. I had 2 guys show me this picture on their cell phones today. One claimed it was his nephew that shot it and it was not anywhere near Cornell. Nephew, I had to laugh at him the dude in the picture looks older than him. Something just doesnt seem right about this deer to me. Here we got a picture of a guy holding it but yet nobody knows who he is or everyone knows who he is and none of them are the same guy. Cant wait to watch this unfold to see what the real deal is.

I would agree with you NY but i can relate to WNY's point. I worked for about 10yrs in my youth(oh my god i can't believe i just used that phrase), on a farm near my house. The manager had worked there 30 yrs and our families saw each other all the time. He lived in a caretakers house on the one end of the property and one day asked me to run over to the house and get some tools he had on the back porch. When i got there i peaked in the window to the living room and there were 5 absolute slobs on the wall. Two were Booners and over 180". He had shot them in the 70's and never really spoke much about them. Today things are much different though and word gets out very quickly. No one can take a deer without someone at least getting a cell phone pic of it. If its over 140" its going to get passed along to someone, not to mention if its pushing 185 like this one.

I know there are a lot of deer like that out there... that over the years have become forgotten. but i promise you that at the time they were killed... they were the talk of the area... remember lots of those bucks you talk of were before the internet and cellphones... news didn't travel as far and fast as today... it is nearly impossible to keep a trophy quiet today..like I said.. if you tell one other person other than yourself.. the news will spread like wildfire in the hunting world.

Whats more surprising about this pic is that if it was killed illegally... that didn't make the news?.. I think if that campus buck had been jacked... that would make big news in that area.

I believe its mike or matt nash. beautiful buck. Im friends with his cousin. As of right now Buck was in a cemetery on wyckoff rd. Dec Confirmed it a legal kill in the city of ithaca. Problem there is that it is ILLEGAL to hunt in the city of ithaca and the village of Cayuga heights. So the state and nash are going to court as of right now. Dec has been over ruled and taken to a higher court. I'll fill you in if i hear anymore on the story. The buck basically was tame but i didnt hear anything about him walking up to it in street clothes and shooting it. Nash was said to have called DEC right after he shot it. Club he took it too got issued for not tagging a doe that was hanging

sounds like this deer wasn't worth all the hassle, etc.....why even bother shooting a deer if there is going to be controversy, courts involved, etc...

Good point... sometimes hunters want a big buck so bad that they will do anything to get one.. but I won't pass judgement until I know the whole story.. if the guy was hunting in a legit spot and that campus buck just happened to be unlucky enough to pass through that spot.. oh well...but if the guy was hunting that particular campus buck knowing it's history with the area and was looking for a way to lure the buck to a spot where he knew he wouldn't get in trouble killing it.. that might be a different story... no doubt that is one hell of a buck... it still leaves to be seen whether it was a good hunt or not. I'd be ashamed to say I hunted that buck on purpose knowing it's history.

Im trying to just figure out the excitement of hunting that thing. If its true and people were feeding it and stuff where the hell is the challenge in that. What so you do call the thing over with a whistle like your calling your dog over to play. Theres something to brag about.

So I was listening to Q Country radio station and they had this on there news segment. It said Nash is being charged by DEC for illegal use of a weapon and they confiscated the weapon that turned out to be a crossbow that killed this deer. This guy is in some deep crap now. With all the crossbow debate going on I can just hear whats coming next from the haters. Dont shoot the messenger just repeating what the station said. Not good.

what an idiot. no reason to hunt the deer in the first place if it was known as a deer that walked around campus. Id rather shoot a basket 8 pointer scoring 72" on state land than kill a fenced in deer or in this case a tame deer! What a shame this story is, the deer should have continued to live his life as a legend till someday he died of natural causes and then have the head mounted and put on display somewhere in that town/county.

the guy basicly raped this animal.And he is only going to get a slap on the wrist.Took advantage of its tameness and destroyed it for some bone that he wanted to hang on the wall.I think he should loose his liscence for life.A guy like this doesn't deserve the right to hunt in this state any more.

The funny thing is.I am sure he has seen this thread.Think about it.Google cornell campus buck.Yep.This thread pops up.He is too much of a pansi to try to defend his honor.Probably because a guy like this has no honor.He is a Selfish low life.

Hope they really nail him.