New fall food plots

On 8/29/2020 at 7:20 PM, G-Man said:

Radish will have 2 lobed leaves and as it grows will look similar to ferns but all one leaf not leaflets, small clover looks like small clover pretty quick after germinating  give it 2weeks I think. You will be happy with your results

Here is a pick of the small stuff  in the plot 20200901_164557.thumb.jpg.ab39c4144183904c76b3579dfabd4b7e.jpg

I know it's getting very late to be starting new plots . But I have the equipment  on my land so we are putting it to work. 

This spot is wet most of the year and it's very thick . This is the wifes stand. She killed her deer out of this stand. We have often thought about opening this up and digging out a pond.20200912_125227.thumb.jpg.38b59c83737022e98a24623ec81f63ed.jpg20200912_125237.thumb.jpg.fae7b51e8d28f6d136ce3c82d6503ae2.jpg

The pond didn't get dug out this trip and may not get done if we get alot of rain .20200912_170937.thumb.jpg.450cb2f636d4390e3600dcb06fd9317d.jpg

20200912_192726.thumb.jpg.6a3c1168edaa50f8d4c9c9b1969fe979.jpg

going to keep picking away at it . If we don't get it done this year I will bring in a dozer next summer. Will be seeded in winter rye for this fall.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Last dich effort disked in 20lbs of cerial  rye  on my wifes food plot  last night . Deer have eaten most of my radishes. Clover is popping up nice finally . Just need rain . My kill plot is chewed down pretty good and needs rain . Has been sprinkling  here since 7:30 am. 

The rain is a'fallin' right now...Over half an inch here in Dogpatch today, and more on the way tonite..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Team Hoyt said:

I lost all of my plots. Guessing no rain and didn't do a soil test. My fault 1st year doing plots so I'm learning. They started out looking good but now its gone

Got to do a soil test. Most important with weed control being next. 

Lack of rain is really hampering everything. I put in about 2 acres of brassicas on 8/1. Saw a bit of rain after planting but then nothing since Labor Day. Not a great year like other guys have said. 

14 minutes ago, Marsala-man said:

Got to do a soil test. Most important with weed control being next. 

Lack of rain is really hampering everything. I put in about 2 acres of brassicas on 8/1. Saw a bit of rain after planting but then nothing since Labor Day. Not a great year like other guys have said. 

Yeah I eliminated all the weeds with 41% glyphosate 

I’ve got thousands of them.  Sugar beets etc. starting to fill out too.  I am in lake plains region with great soil.  We have been experiencing a good drought here and the last day and a half rain we got kick started the growth. 

I know the feeling @Team Hoyt  I spent planted quite a bit of soybean seed and some corn seed.  About 10 percent of corn made it and 50 percent on the beans   This hot and dry summer crushed those food sources and beans are my favorite to hunt over come later this month.  Always got 95 percent growth in previous years though they were wetter.  So put in more than normal radishes beets and brassicas and got rain when it was needed so now have an abundance of these food sources.  Hopefully after all the ag fields around me get  harvested by mid November and the cold weather sweetens them should be perfect for late bow and gun season. 

• Like 1