New fall food plots

I am going up to check plots in the morning ....maybe  run the chainsaw clean up another  section of road . Question is how much longer should I be working without messing up my deer hunting . Gramps always  said avoid activity after September  1st .

What should I expect for germination on my food plots . I planted clover and radish  on Saturday.  We had rain Monday... I don't expect to see much .

Thats a fall blend  rape,kale,clover,turnips . I might have seeded a little heavey. Was suppose to do 1/4 acre broadcasted. I did  my 2 smaller plots with this blend . My bigger plot was clover/radish which is  2/3 to 3/4 acre. Shaded places came in nice . Sunnier spots are slow in germination. We need more rain.  I'm learning alot this year  hopefully next year I can put it all together. 

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

What fertilizer do you recomend 

This shows a corn leaf but it hold true for all, bulbs require more p and k, nitrogen makes tops. , I usually plant mine with triple 19 at 100lbs an acre  and keep a eye on it , you may see a myriad of colors at they are planted close. Turnips usually are 10 in to 12 in apart for maximum growth,  while it's hard to overseed clover , brassica is very sensitive to crowding.  You can mitigate some.loss by fertalize but you dont want to over  fertalize as well. IMG_44023057250981.jpg.f44fb84c3680d1ee184db06c0feafae8.jpg

Edited by G-Man
Make sure you spread fertilize when plants are dry ,best just before a rain.
  • Like 1

I finally have my brassica germinating. I used a trail mix that hasn't done anything. Going to rake it tomorrow and spread some winter rye mix. First year doing this getting it figured out. Unfortunately we can't get equipment on the property so everything is a throw and grow

2 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

I finally have my brassica germinating. I used a trail mix that hasn't done anything. Going to rake it tomorrow and spread some winter rye mix. First year doing this getting it figured out. Unfortunately we can't get equipment on the property so everything is a throw and grow

Throw and grow works well , can do a lot with a 2 or 3 gallon sprayer , and a metal rake.  Unless your looking to make  destination feed fields 2 plus acres..

4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Throw and grow works well , can do a lot with a 2 or 3 gallon sprayer , and a metal rake.  Unless your looking to make  destination feed fields 2 plus acres..

Yeah I got a 15 gallon sprayer for the atv. Unfortunately I'm planting on old logging roads and I tried a set of disc on it and can't break the soil. So I'm stuck with a rake

5 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

Yeah I got a 15 gallon sprayer for the atv. Unfortunately I'm planting on old logging roads and I tried a set of disc on it and can't break the soil. So I'm stuck with a rake

Want to see a video on food plotting before it was a thing.. search tricking whitetail bucks by whitetail visions..  amazing what they did with hand rake and a walk behind tiller , along with lot of other  great tips. As for breaking up the hard road try buckwheat and high radish..  then in spring can usually get it to. Break up as roots of both go pretty deep , when they rot its natural aeration 

Edited by G-Man

14 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Want to see a video on food plotting before it was a thing.. search tricking whitetail bucks by whitetail visions..  amazing what they did with hand rake and a walk behind tiller , along with lot of other  great tips. As for breaking up the hard road try buckwheat and high radish..  then in spring can usually get it to. Break up as roots of both go pretty deep , when they rot its natural aeration 

I tried buckwheat in 1 section and nothing grew lol whats high radish, a tiller radish?

12 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

I tried buckwheat in 1 section and nothing grew lol whats high radish, a tiller radish?

Auto correct got.me , hog  radish. If your buckwheat didnt grow than th seed was picked up by game..  it will grow on concrete with water. You may need to spray broadcast seed and roll to put weed cover down over it to protect from.bird, and other animals.

Edited by G-Man

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Auto correct got.me , hog  radish. If your buckwheat didnt grow than th seed was picked up by game..  it will grow on concrete with water. You may need to spray broadcast seed and roll to put weed cover down over it to protect from.bird, and other animals.

Thanks for the help

27 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Wish I could tell whats what as far as the seedlings .... it all looks alike to me . Heck for all I know I have radish with a great crop of weeds lol 

Radish will have 2 lobed leaves and as it grows will look similar to ferns but all one leaf not leaflets, small clover looks like small clover pretty quick after germinating  give it 2weeks I think. You will be happy with your results