Sous Vide with the Anova round #2

Sous Vide Bacon is superb! Sous Vide it for like 12 hours then fry it up in a cast iron skillet and Bam it literally melts in your mouth with Excellent crunch! Highly recommend! Also that steak looks absolutely fabulous! Makes me want to buy some steaks to use in my sous vide again!

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

7 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Grabbed some 2" thick strip steaks for Father's day dinner accompanied by baked sweet potato . Steamed clams for an appetizer and fruit over angle food cake for dessert. A perfect steak has never been easier. 

C.JPG

My son bought me a Sous Vide Anova Nano  precision cooker for Christmas . I haven't tried it yet and its still in the box . He keeps bugging me to try it. Says its the best thing ever invented for cooking steaks and roasts and everything else for that matter. He keeps sending pictures of his new gourmet cooking . 

He lives in a apartment in LA so he cant have a grill . He uses a blow torch to sear the meat after its done cooking ! LOL . Tells me it takes about 60-90 minutes to cook a steak in the water. I keep arguing that I can have a steak ready in 5 min of the grill and cant wait 1 1/2 hours to eat when Im starving !  LOL

But after looking at his pictures of beef roasts , pork roasts and steaks , and now your delicious looking steak , I might have to try this thing. But I will use my grill to sear the meat like you did  instead of a torch. ! LOL

He cooked a 10 lb pork roast last weekend. Said he cooked it in a plastic bag in the water for 24 hours . Sent me a vid showing how easy it falls apart just using a fork.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

He lives in a apartment in LA so he cant have a grill . He uses a blow torch to sear the meat after its done cooking ! LOL . Tells me it takes about 60-90 minutes to cook a steak in the water. I keep arguing that I can have a steak ready in 5 min of the grill and cant wait 1 1/2 hours to eat when I'm starving !  LOL

you won't be disappointed. He must still have a stove? under the broiler or in a cast iron pan is a great option to finish them as well.  The time really isn't that bad. especially since you can start it from frozen if you wish. Just adds time. I've seen a lot of videos of people packaging with spices and what not and sealing in a vacuum sealing bag. straight out of the freezer and into the pot.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2020 at 10:24 PM, The Jerkman said:

Sous Vide Bacon is superb! Sous Vide it for like 12 hours then fry it up in a cast iron skillet and Bam it literally melts in your mouth with Excellent crunch! Highly recommend! Also that steak looks absolutely fabulous! Makes me want to buy some steaks to use in my sous vide again!

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

What temp?  Are you putting entire unopened package in the bath? 

Let me find you the recipe I used. I threw in the whole 1 lb package or whatever you got. Put it in around 8pm and cooked it the next morning. Was crisp and practically dissolved instantly in the mouth. It was like a bacon pork rind but in bacon form it was incredible!

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

145°F and can be done overnight or up to two days! It's gonna melt a ton of the fat so you'll want to drain it off before cooking in your skillet of course. It was absolutely fabulous! When you think about it it's a lot of work for bacon but it came out so crispy and lite it was fantastic!

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

145°F and can be done overnight or up to two days! It's gonna melt a ton of the fat so you'll want to drain it off before cooking in your skillet of course. It was absolutely fabulous! When you think about it it's a lot of work for bacon but it came out so crispy and lite it was fantastic!

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Thanks for the info.  Definitely have to dust off the SV.   Planning on making bacon this fall. Didn't have time last yr, and had to suffer with store bought stuff.  Usually cold smoke 60 to 80 lbs every fall. 

Thanks for the info.  Definitely have to dust off the SV.   Planning on making bacon this fall. Didn't have time last yr, and had to suffer with store bought stuff.  Usually cold smoke 60 to 80 lbs every fall. 
Oh man homemade bacon that sounds incredible!

#WeDemandADislikeButton

3 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Oh man homemade bacon that sounds incredible!

#WeDemandADislikeButton

I've done 60-80 lbs a yr for the past 10+ yrs, except for last year.  NO, my wife and I didn't consume that.  Family and friends benefitted too. 

I dry brine for 14 days. Cold smoke for 6-8 hrs, in the fridge on racks uncovered for 2 days, then another 6-8 hrs of cold smoke. Rest 2-4 days in fridge, slice, fry, enjoy...

I've done 60-80 lbs a yr for the past 10+ yrs, except for last year.  NO, my wife and I didn't consume that.  Family and friends benefitted too. 
I dry brine for 14 days. Cold smoke for 6-8 hrs, in the fridge on racks uncovered for 2 days, then another 6-8 hrs of cold smoke. Rest 2-4 days in fridge, slice, fry, enjoy...
Oh man! You growing the pigs yourself? Or just buying the bellies?

#WeDemandADislikeButton

16 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Oh man! You growing the pigs yourself? Or just buying the bellies?

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Past yrs were our own oinkers.   Past 4 have been purchased bellies. I have a source for skin on bellies that are very good quality. Uniform thickness, however I have to remove the skin. Not a big deal once you've done it a couple dozen times. Sharp knife and a little time is all it takes. 

Past yrs were our own oinkers.   Past 4 have been purchased bellies. I have a source for skin on bellies that are very good quality. Uniform thickness, however I have to remove the skin. Not a big deal once you've done it a couple dozen times. Sharp knife and a little time is all it takes. 
That's awesome! Can make some cracklin with the skins. Definitely think this is something I'm going to have to look into at some point. I do love bacon! Just now where to make it

#WeDemandADislikeButton