Sous Vide with the Anova round #2

21 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Oh man! You growing the pigs yourself? Or just buying the bellies?

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Once you have cold smoked bacon like this, you really don't want anything else. Trust me, running out and having to use store bought stuff really sucks.

The closest I've found is Oscars smoke house in Warrensburg, near lake George. But I like mine a lot better.  Too far of a drive, and it's expensive. 

Once you have cold smoked bacon like this, you really don't want anything else. Trust me, running out and having to use store bought stuff really sucks.
The closest I've found is Oscars smoke house in Warrensburg, near lake George. But I like mine a lot better.  Too far of a drive, and it's expensive. 
Oh I know Oscar's very well! I haven't been in probably close to 15+ years now but have been going there since I was born so 31 years now.

#WeDemandADislikeButton

41 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Oh I know Oscar's very well! I haven't been in probably close to 15+ years now but have been going there since I was born so 31 years now.

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Lol.  I'll tell you this because the statue of limitations is long over.  My brother worked for a local cheese company.  He traded 40 lb blocks of cheese to the original owner of Oscars for bacon and other goodies. He would smoke that cheese and sell it in his store. That was well before the fire that destroyed the place.  One of the original smokers survived the fire and is still used today.

We used to send our hams and bellies to Oscars be brined and smoked. 

I have friends who live in the area that have bought Oscars bacon for yrs, and have had mine.  They like mine better than his his twice smoked bacon.  He's become so popular and recognized that his process has been commercialized, which hurt his product in my opinion.  

Another smoke house popped up shortly after the fire.  Locust Grove smokehouse in Argyle. The owner worked for Oscars.  I actually like some of his products better than Oscars. Unfortunately, he hasn't become nearly as popular as Oscars. He's doing well though. 

Haha that's awesome! Oscar's had pretty good jerky and smoked trout. I used to love their smoked turkey and ham mmmm delicious! My aunt used to have a house on friends lake up there

#WeDemandADislikeButton

12 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Haha that's awesome! Oscar's had pretty good jerky and smoked trout. I used to love their smoked turkey and ham mmmm delicious! My aunt used to have a house on friends lake up there

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Used to snowmobile on friends lake and most of the lakes in that area down to Speculator lake. 

There smoked trout is friggin awesome.  I've smoked most proteins. Fish is the only one that I'm so not confident in.  Can smoke a 150lb whole hog, but a 3lb fish has me freaking out. 

• Like 1