Pigeon Hunting 2020

First hunt of the year. Its still a bit early as the wheat is not yet cut. Nephew and I dusted off the dekes yesterday and killed 13 in a half hour. Can’t wait for the big numbers soon. Added 4 new motion decoys to the spread. They looked awesome out in the wind. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Decent shoot this morning. Killed 150. Could have done much better but my gun refused to cycle shells after the first few flocks. Very frustrating. Sent all 3 new Browning a5s  Back for repairs this winter and. Ow only 2 of the 3 are cycling properly. 

GD , 1st of all ,  I am not familiar with the A 5's new inertia recoil system . But I do own 12 Belgium Browning A5's and two fairly new Browning Silver Sluggers . I believe my two Silver Sluggers have the same system as your A5's .   When you say not cycling properly , do you mean its not loading the next shell because it gets stuck half way in the chamber ? I had that problem with my 12ga Slugger right out of the box. But it had nothing to do with the inertia system . I called Browning and they told me to call the authorized repair shop near me. I fixed the problem in 5 min while talking to them on the phone and it works perfectly now.

This might be an assembly problem . Take the forearm off . Then take the plastic cylinder plug off the shell cylinder. Tip the gun down to slide out the cylinder spring . At the end of it there is a plastic cap.  Make sure the cap is set over the end of the spring evenly . My problem was the cap was installed uneven over the end of the spring and dragging inside the cylinder not allowing the full force of the spring to push the next shell into the chamber. Took 5 min to do this and my gun has cycled perfectly since. If nothing else this will eliminate the cylinder spring cap as a possible cause.  When putting the spring back in , do it with the gun tipped downward until the spring is all the way in.

The repair shop told me this is not an uncommon problem . It can happen by the assembly worker or someone installing a duck plug in the cylinder allowing the spring to pop off the spring cap inside the cylinder.  Just a thought you might want to try. 

Im a classic browning nut myself. I own no less than 30 belgian auto 5s. My weakness is sweet 16s. I also have several citori 16s.  I bought the new A5s for high volume pigeon hunting. Their flaw is the rotating lug where it rotates on the pin. Have to keep it well lubed with clp oil.  Same with the bolt rails. They are great handling guns but nothing more than expensive stamped out aluminum garbage.