Prayers For My Brother Mark

grampy

After a lifetime battle with the bottle, the bottle won, and my little brother Mark passed away this morning at 57, from renal failure.

Let me tell you a little about Mark. He was a brilliant electrician. He wired hospital ER's and OR's. As well as many big commercial jobs throughout the capital region. He never missed a day of work. He never drank on the job either. Everyone loved Mark, as he was a happy go lucky kind of free spirit. He would always be the first to offer help, to anyone needing it. His sense of humor was honed to a fine point, and he'd have you laughing out loud in no time. Even sometimes when I wasn't very happy with him!

Mark married young, and had a son. He loved them both with all his heart. But after less than two years she ran off with with an old flame, and that devastated Mark. That's when the bottle came to comfort him, and try as we might, it never left. I got him help many times, we all prayed, and begged him, but he always, despite all that, went back to it. It was his choice.

At one point many years ago, I got him into deer hunting! We had so much fun together in the deer woods. But he didn't have it in him to kill one. I once did a small push through the big swamp to him. I saw a line of doe and two respectable bucks pass by him at less than 20 yards. I waited for the shot that never came. After I got up to him, I said "Mark, why didn't you shoot"? He looked at me with a grin, and twinkle in his eye and said, " shoot at what? I didn't see anything"! As we both stood in the snow, surrounded by fresh tracks.

I will miss our long conversations. I will miss the late night phone calls. I will miss you Mark. Love ya brother. RIP

Please send a prayer if you will, to my brother Mark. He's with God and mom now. With no more need for the bottle.

• Like 6
  • Sad 7