Deer movement advice on a large clear cut

I just cleared two acres of striped maple on one of my hillsides. I had no idea how much they took over the midstory and shaded the ground but the younger sugar maples were struggling. 

Dropped about 125 stems from 2” to 10” and did some light bucking. It now looks like tornado damage. 

Deer travel across this hill as well as up and down, as it is a midpoint between bedding up top, and food and water below. My question is what to do with the downed trees. 

I don’t think I have the strength to move it all into the woods, but I can process it down a little and do some light brush piles. Or better to just ignore it? Do I clear the existing game trails or now that things look so different will they change their travel habits? 

Thanks. 

Deff cut some trails strategically thru it otherwise if it’s a tangled mess they will be going around it which could be ok. The more you leave the less browse pressure you have for what’s growing!! 

• Like 1

Thanks.

Used to be thick, now pretty open hardwood hill with maple, birch, beech, hornbeam and aspen. I plan to knock down the large aspens in the winter to encourage them to sprout. 

I guess the main question is, should I reopen the existing trails? Though the landscape has changed, will deer travel them out of habit? Or should I just clear it a bit, funnel where possible, and pay attention to the new movement pattern? 

@catskillkid I think I left two. Once I got into a groove I made it a mission to destroy everyone I saw. 

20 hours ago, left field said:

Roundup? 

Generic gly will work 41%  mixed to 2.5 % will kill brush and grasses/ broadleafs.. if you paint it full strength on fresh cut stumps it will kill roots and prevent suckering

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

Just slap the 41% on the stumps? Easy. Prefer painting it as I’ve had bad luck with overspray on plants.  

Thanks. 

Might as well ask this question as well. On top of the ridge I have an old logging road that is now covered in grass with blackberry on both sides. The deer walk this path as it is one of the more open travel corridors. I was thinking of adding some food, but don’t have the ability to dig it up or prepare it in any way other than trim it very short. Is there a simple seed I can spread (clover?) and press in that will supplement the grass? 

Edited by left field

36 minutes ago, left field said:

Just slap the 41% on the stumps? Easy. Prefer painting it as I’ve had bad luck with overspray on plants.  

Thanks. 

Might as well ask this question as well. On top of the ridge I have an old logging road that is now covered in grass with blackberry on both sides. The deer walk this path as it is one of the more open travel corridors. I was thinking of adding some food, but don’t have the ability to dig it up or prepare it in any way other than trim it very short. Is there a simple seed I can spread (clover?) and press in that will supplement the grass? 

Clover will grow, you can spray and kill off grass but rubiflora ( berrys) retain their leaves late and are a favored browse of deer to begin with. The clover would be a benefit in spring nutrition and attract Turkey as well.

I've had bad experience with spraying. Tried roundup to kill some burdock and was very careful to only hit the leaves. It killed everything around and the earth was scorched for two years. Finally coming back a little. 

If I spray the grass, how long does the glyphosate stay in the ground (or is it inert if it isn't in a plant) and do I have to till all the dead grass? That would be tough to do.

Alternatively, now that I've cleared that hill and light is hitting the ground again, I could spread something there. There's little to no ground cover right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Really? I have a few thousand so may try that. Thanks.

Cleared up another patch that was choking out the forest floor. Blackberry at the far end of this patch that the deer has been grazing. There are two deer trails that intersect here.

Moved a stand to the edge - I'm standing about six feet from the base of the stand and it's 20' to the centre of this clearing. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ef9.thumb.jpg.188c3c413c409164184be5bb8c0b732b.jpg