Broadcasted corn

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 9:49 PM, nybuckboy said:

This corn was planted 4 weeks ago by tilling, fertilizing, dragging a cultivator to create furrows and then broadcast corn from my 4 wheeler broadcaster and finally pulling drags to cover seed. 

DC19950E-52C4-4CF0-86FA-3AD65699F4FC.jpeg

Edited by nybuckboy

On 6/28/2020 at 9:49 PM, nybuckboy said:

This corn was planted 4 weeks ago by tilling, fertilizing, dragging a cultivator to create furrows and then broadcast corn from my 4 wheeler broadcaster and fondling pulling drags to cover seed. 

DC19950E-52C4-4CF0-86FA-3AD65699F4FC.jpeg

Any pictures of you fondling the drags? :D 

1 hour ago, TACC said:

This looks great, how many years can you plant corn before you have to swap it out to soybeans or alfalfa or something like that to get the nitrogen back in the soil?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am usually more concerned with how many years can I grow clover, before I plant corn.  Generally, that turns out to be 4 or 5 years.   After that, so much nitrogen gets built up in the soil that grass starts to to take hold.   When I see that happen, rather than try and fight it with selective herbicide (very expensive), I plow the old clover under and plant corn (for a single season).    By planting corn in ground that is high in nitrogen, my fertilizer requirement for decent yields is greatly reduced.    This year's corn (check out corn thread) is looking like it will yield pretty good (probably in the neighborhood of 125 bu/acre).  It got only 50 lbs per acre of triple 15 fertilizer at planting, and will not be getting any more.   Most of the nitrogen it needs to make that yield was "free" from the old clover.  Another big advantage of that "free" nitrogen, is that it does not acidify the soil like the synthetic stuff (urea) does.  

It is kind of funny that I see the exact opposite happening in my lawn right now.   The ground up around our house is so depleted of nitrogen, from many years of growing grass, that the clover is taking over.   My last couple mowings turned the lawn from white, back to green, after clipping off all the clover heads.            

For the math on the clover/corn rotation to work out, you need to have 4-5 times as much plot acreage in clover as you do in corn on any given season.   That is why it don't work for agricultural producers who rarely have that kind of acreage to spare.  For food-plotters, it works out great, because the clover gives the deer something they love to eat (at night only after gun season starts).    

The best thing about the corn is that it holds the deer on your ground during the daylight hours of gun season.  A straight corn diet is not the best thing for them though.   4 parts clover per 1 part corn is just about right.         

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

works great cutting furrows with a cultivator or disk, broadcasting then we used a set of tired all bolted together with bolts coming through the bottom of tires to drag smooth and cover seeds. works great too. perfect way for broadcasting bigger seeds and still getting some "row crop look" lol 

Nice work

• Thanks 1