Camp Chef Pizza Oven

Well I won a 14" 2 burner camp chef stove last year. I just picked up an artisan pizza oven for it. My daughter and I took it our on it's maiden voyage last night. We've had wood fired pizza at places like Blaze and Fire Side. SO my daughter got the pencil and paper out and listed the toppings of what she wanted to try.  

We made the pizzas about 6-8" so we could have multiples and try a bunch of toppings.  Let me see if I can remember what we did. Don't stick your noses up, they were all outstanding. 

We had---

Fig jelly, caramelized onions, hot Italian sausage, goat cheese brie.  (the pizza on the cutting board)

Margherita sauce, roasted red peppers, sliced roma tomatoes, fresh basil and local made thick cut bacon with fresh mozzarella cheese

Margherita sauce, fresh mozzarella, roasted garlic, hot Italian sausage, mushrooms and dill pickles

Alfredo sauce, caramelized onions, fresh garlic scapes, local bacon and roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella

Chunky peanut butter, black/blue- berry preserve with cranberry goat cheese. (this was outstanding)

The dough recipe was very easy. 4 cups all purpose flour, 2.5 cups of bread flour, 1.5 table spoons of dry active yeast and same amount of salt, 3 cups of warm water.  mix and let raise for 1/2 hour until the size doubles. 

Oven and stone temp 600 degrees  --- about 10 minutes to cook. 

2E1DF002-6649-4A16-B1FD-DD08A2C7A522.JPG

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

• Like 13

Those sound amazing....love the combinations.
Some questions about your UNIT if you don’t mind.
Could you get a temp reading on the stone? Did they lose heat fats (aka 3rd 4th pies didn’t brown as well)?
How heavy in the top dome? I
Assume you had to cook only right over the burners?
Is the a knot the dome open
Could you throw some wood fire on top of the stone?
Clearly I’m curious!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The suggestion is to have an infrared thermometer to check the stone temp. The dome has an thermometer that give the "air" temp inside the until.  The stone really evens out any hot spots and you really don't have to cook just over the burners. I didn't notice an hot spots. It seemed to cook very evenly. you could have cook pizzas back to back to back and not noticed a difference. the stone seasons and gets a little brown becasue to the flour "burning".  If you wanted a smokey flavor I would place chips in a metal container and place on the stone. I wouldn't place directly on the stone. The flavor was wonderful  the dome is just sheet metal but held heat well. the back is solid and the top does not open. you can take apart with screws if you want but the stone comes out with 4 screws but they suggest just wiping with hot water once the stone cools totally. 

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well I won a 14" 2 burner camp chef stove last year. I just picked up an artisan pizza oven for it. My daughter and I took it our on it's maiden voyage last night. We've had wood fired pizza at places like Blaze and Fire Side. SO my daughter got the pencil and paper out and listed the toppings of what she wanted to try.  

We made the pizzas about 6-8" so we could have multiples and try a bunch of toppings.  Let me see if I can remember what we did. Don't stick your noses up, they were all outstanding. 

We had---

Fig jelly, caramelized onions, hot Italian sausage, goat cheese brie.  (the pizza on the cutting board)

Margherita sauce, roasted red peppers, sliced roma tomatoes, fresh basil and local made thick cut bacon with fresh mozzarella cheese

Margherita sauce, fresh mozzarella, roasted garlic, hot Italian sausage, mushrooms and dill pickles

Alfredo sauce, caramelized onions, fresh garlic scapes, local bacon and roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella

Chunky peanut butter, black/blue- berry preserve with cranberry goat cheese. (this was outstanding)

The dough recipe was very easy. 4 cups all purpose flour, 2.5 cups of bread flour, 1.5 table spoons of dry active yeast and same amount of salt, 3 cups of warm water.  mix and let raise for 1/2 hour until the size doubles. 

Oven and stone temp 600 degrees  --- about 10 minutes to cook. 

2E1DF002-6649-4A16-B1FD-DD08A2C7A522.JPG

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

Hmmm all that and no anchovies...

Regardless of how the pizza turned out, it looks like you got the right beverage.   I am down to my last of them and the market didn't have any at my last stop.   Looks like I will have to settle for Modelo Negras up at the in-laws next weekend.   

My father in law built a fancy big brick pizza oven at his old house a couple years before he sold it.  We only had a few pizza parties over there but they were very good.  I could not believe how fast those pizzas cooked over that hot wood fire.   It seemed like the average cook time was only 5 minutes or so.  I have to drive by the place some day and see if the new owners kept the oven.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Regardless of how the pizza turned out, it looks like you got the right beverage.   I am down to my last of them and the market didn't have any at my last stop.   Looks like I will have to settle for Modelo Negras up at the in-laws next weekend.   

My father in law built a fancy big brick pizza oven at his old house a couple years before he sold it.  We only had a few pizza parties over there but they were very good.  I could not believe how fast those pizzas cooked over that hot wood fire.   It seemed like the average cook time was only 5 minutes or so.  I have to drive by the place some day and see if the new owners kept the oven.   

Some stores near me still have it and others are out. I enjoy a few in the hot weather. nice refreshing grapefruit taste. 

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I just got a sheet pizza from Salvatore's and they had them. If I am with anyone that doesn't like them I usually get them on the side so the whole piazza doesn't taste like them. I add them on the pieces I eat

Same. If it's just my wife and I, she used to be OK with them on half the pizza. Now she says "it bleeds over". She's probably right so I capitulate to them on the side.

• 2 weeks later...