The Wally Taber Safari Show

airedale

"Wally Taber" probably need some age on you to remember this guy, one of the first to film hunting and fishing shows for the public, also wrote articles for various outdoor publications, he was pretty well known back in the day. 

I attended one of his shows back in the late seventies held in a local high school auditorium which helped raise funds for some charity. Several area sporting goods stores and vendors were asked to support the show and the Sporting Goods store I worked in back then set up three tables of hunting and fishing gear in the lobby  outside the auditorium and believe it or not we had a couple of dozen firearms on display along with all the other stuff we brought in. There was a State Trooper in attendance that kept watch.

The show was a sell out, Wally's presentation was pretty good and also informative, a good time was had by all.

My,  Times sure have changed!

Al 

2020-06-30_150217.png

• Like 1

For those interested in such things; Google up Osa Johnson (and husband Martin)

Film makers of the 20's and 30's and took much of the first footage of South Pacific islanders (head hunters) and much footage in Africa.

He filmed and her?

She was an outstanding shot<<<<<yep think that, her standing ground to charging lion or rhino and the husband captured the images. (shes tiny, all of 5-2)

In their day one of the most recognizable celebrity couples.

Suggest the book "I Married Adventure"; after Martin died in plane crash she wrote several volumes of their  adventures around the world.

More info here on Texas A&M and Wally Taber;

https://www.espn.com/outdoors/hunting/columns/story?columnist=swan_james&page=g-col-swan-heroes

Edited by Dinsdale