Signs of the deer season coming

Robhuntandfish

Bought Apple breakfast sausage spice and AA batteries for the trail cams today.  Clothes get hung in the hunting shed in a month.  As soon as it's not 90 and the fish aren't biting gotta get shooting the bow.  Three months from today boys! 

IMG_20200701_135426389.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 7

I really dont seem to have a lot of prep this year.  I think one weekend at the end of july and beginning of August i can get it about all done.  Change out ratchet straps, trade out one stand, put up the groundblind and cut and trim shooting lanes for all the rest (12 total). Then waiting on go.  I usually put my cams up about then anyway and let them soak til Sept 1 and one last walk around before season. 

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I really dont seem to have a lot of prep this year.  I think one weekend at the end of july and beginning of August i can get it about all done.  Change out ratchet straps, trade out one stand, put up the groundblind and cut and trim shooting lanes for all the rest (12 total). Then waiting on go.  I usually put my cams up about then anyway and let them soak til Sept 1 and one last walk around before season. 

Besides replacing a blind that is too beat up to repair, my big addition this year is a cell cam. I put it on a acorn flat that gets a lot of traffic september - november. i don't expect many pics now, but i wanted to get it out there earlier rather than later.

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Besides replacing a blind that is too beat up to repair, my big addition this year is a cell cam. I put it on a acorn flat that gets a lot of traffic september - november. i don't expect many pics now, but i wanted to get it out there earlier rather than later.

keep us posted on that cell cam.  Hope it works out. They are coming down in price and more brands available too. Ive been considering one.   

Is your blind a popup type?   I just bought a new one this year too that i am going to hide in some cattails by a pond.  Barronett Blind Big Mike Blood Trail Blades Camo - Walmart.com ...

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

keep us posted on that cell cam.  Hope it works out. They are coming down in price and more brands available too. Ive been considering one.   

Is your blind a popup type?   I just bought a new one this year too that i am going to hide in some cattails by a pond.  Barronett Blind Big Mike Blood Trail Blades Camo - Walmart.com ...

I bought a spartan cam from @phade , so far it is great. I got hooked after seeing @sodfather pics from the same cam. I use the Ameristep ground blinds. not a popup, i leave them up year round. I never hunted out of one until the first one i put in on dad's new land in 2016. it stayed up year round for 4 full seasons and we killed several deer out of it. we had bought 2 and only put 1 up, so we will swap out this summer. i can't remember if its doghouse or brickhouse. i'll dig up a pic

333436796c67a0c7f08223435818faaa.jpg461369fb759a7ae1713f143b4d0db617.jpg

2nd pic is 2016.
1st pic is 2019 a month before I killed my best NY buck out of it. Many tree limbs and snow have ripped and crushed it lol. Growie would call them "widow makers"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

3 months from today!? Damn, it will be here in a flash too, the way this year is going. I just had new tires put on the ATV last week, (Father's Day present from one of my boys!), I pulled out the trail cameras the other and I'm planning on going down on Friday to take a little ride and set them up. Not that I ever want to wish summer away, but this post got me juiced for the fall! 

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I bought a spartan cam from @phade , so far it is great. I got hooked after seeing @sodfather pics from the same cam. I use the Ameristep ground blinds. not a popup, i leave them up year round. I never hunted out of one until the first one i put in on dad's new land in 2016. it stayed up year round for 4 full seasons and we killed several deer out of it. we had bought 2 and only put 1 up, so we will swap out this summer. i can't remember if its doghouse or brickhouse. i'll dig up a pic

Good planning ahead buying two. Yeah def need to keep one going there. It's a proven winner. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Don_C said:

3 months from today!? Damn, it will be here in a flash too, the way this year is going. I just had new tires put on the ATV last week, (Father's Day present from one of my boys!), I pulled out the trail cameras the other and I'm planning on going down on Friday to take a little ride and set them up. Not that I ever want to wish summer away, but this post got me juiced for the fall! 

It's always good to spend some woods time. That first crisp morning will for sure put everyone in hunting mode too once that happens. 

Yep, it will be here before we know it.   On my drive to work this morning, just around the corner from our place,  I had to stop the car to wait for a deer to cross.  That one did not have any antlers, nor did the other slightly smaller one, which was just behind her.    Farther behind them, about 50 yards off the road, stood a pair of what looked like 2-year old bucks, each with fat velvet antlers extending a few inches wider than their ears.   I got a lot more fish to catch, before I start focusing too much on deer, but that sight did not help the situation much.  

Is your cam focused on a solid summer trail so you can monitor your bucks growth??

No. Pics or not, the growth will be what it is. It’s in a September - November hotspot so I can see what’s going on in crunch time. My other cams will get summer pics tho

No. Pics or not, the growth will be what it is. It’s in a September - November hotspot so I can see what’s going on in crunch time. My other cams will get summer pics tho

Wouldn’t it make sense to put the cell
Cam
In a spot that has summer activity so you can take advantage of its primary feature?

• Like 1

Wouldn’t it make sense to put the cell
Cam
In a spot that has summer activity so you can take advantage of its primary feature?

Maybe but once I got it working in the spot I bought it for, I didn’t care enough to move it for 8 weeks just to bring it right back.

Maybe but once I got it working in the spot I bought it for, I didn’t care enough to move it for 8 weeks just to bring it right back.

I’ll just text you a pic of a velvet buck every few hours

• Like 1

I had to pull my tree stands....I have a few I leave on the public land nearby...a seldom ventured corner, no one has ever bothered/found them to my knowledge. They were logging the area up to a couple weeks ago. I need to see if they have finished. They sure have changed the scene. I threw some throw and grow down on the logging roads, but we haven't gotten poop for rain since. 

I’ll just text you a pic of a velvet buck every few hours

We need a 9/15 opener like CT so we can shoot velvet bucks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

We need a 9/15 opener like CT so we can shoot velvet bucks

i wish now it went back to Oct 15th.   Seems like every year i press early cause i just want to hunt then pissed i am hunting in a T shirt and not seeing anything.  Last couple of years i only hunt one or two close spots early cause there just isnt much movement til dark. 

i wish now it went back to Oct 15th.   Seems like every year i press early cause i just want to hunt then pissed i am hunting in a T shirt and not seeing anything.  Last couple of years i only hunt one or two close spots early cause there just isnt much movement til dark. 

I love it being Oct 1-gets me a bunch of early season full PM hunts after teaching since it stays light so long.
My Brittany hated the change as his field time precipitously dropped when it rolled back to Oct 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I am stoked for the coming Fall! My biggest issue with setting up stands earlier than Sept is the damn ticks. With practically zero snow this past winter, the ticks, and mosquitoes for that matter, are out of control. I’m gonna have to soak everything in Sawyers and drink a few shots of DW Off before I go out. 

In celebration of the up coming deer season, I have been elevating a few deer stands. A quite of few nice Ash trees we use to lean on have since died, so it makes stand placement more difficult. Year round stamds are being checked over well. Installing a roof canopy on one and a portable on another.   Looking over the hunting clothing situration and shopping for a good pair of boots. Another great deer season is in the near future. Enjoying the prep. work can only make for another rewarding season. 

Good Luck, Enjoy, and as always, think safety!