Sketchy Deals?? (Craigslist-ish)

Lawdwaz

Been involved in any sketchy deals via Craigslist or (LOL) the Swap Sheet?

The shotgun reloading press I had listed here was going to be a tough sell I feared.  I only had it here and CL for a couple days and early this morning I got a call from a prospective buyer off  the CL ad.  He was really excited about it but had a problem.......he said he didn't want his wife to know about it and he lived in Pennsylvania and couldn't skip away for 3 hours of traveling.  He offered me an extra $50 if I'd bring it to him, we could meet at the Harbor Creek truck stop off the 90 as he lived real close to that.  I told him I'd call him back in an hour. 

Well if that didn't seem like a sketchy CL deal that you'd likely see on Dateline or 20/20 AFTER they found me in a ditch somewhere!  So I called him back and said I'd bring it down and we could meet at the truck stop at 1:30pm.......all went as planned and he handed me a wad of 20's and I gave him the press and a bunch of other goodies; he was thrilled and a very nice guy.  That one worked out just fine other than the 1 hour 20 minute ride down.  After that we went to Webb's in Mayville for a late lunch.

A few years ago I sold my FIL's car to this guy who answered the CL ad.  He was probably 6'4" and 350# at least and talked like a bit of a bad ass.  We made a deal and as he sat at my kitchen table filling out paper work,he starts BS'ing and telling me he was a convicted felon and that he did 7 years in the can.  Oh yea, he was a cop who got busted for roughing up a witness and some other cool stuff. :)

All went well in the deal but I was glad in that case and the previous one that I had some "heat" on me.

Many years ago (before bizzy was born) I had a 1975 Dodge Power Wagon for sale and I just couldn't sell it, NOBODY wanted it.  Finally after a couple months this guy called me and told me he was a potato farmer in Orangeville, NY and he needed a truck YESTERDAY for the farm.  My asking price IIRC was $3000 and he said he'd pay it in cash if I'd bring it to him.  I rounded up a buddy and he followed me out to the boonies and we made the deal, just as the farmer said he would.  Very cool old timer!

I have one other CL deal that I'd best not talk about as the item I bought burned my hands pretty bad.........

Got any good ones??

Edited by Lawdwaz

7 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I bought a Honda scooter once off the internet......talk about a sketchy dude.:help:

I've sold a ton of stuff to members here and I'm pretty sure all have been pleased with the deal, YOU included. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’ve had good and bad on CL. To many flippers ,and guys who watched to many episodes of American Pickers though . Small items I’d rather give away ,throw out or donate . What a pain it  was selling my old Buick , no shows, guys texting questions for days, asking for picture after picture , one guy from Buffalo I finally just told him to just go away .

The guy I ended up selling it to ,I know was a flipper , ya know when you show up with your own car trailer it’s a bit of a clue .

A few years ago we listed our sons 04 Camry that he had wrecked on CL. So we had to have the persons come to our house, that I don’t like doing. So after some texting a guy shows up and as we’re talking he’s acting kinda strange and he’s looking over our house and my garage like he’s casing it. So he decided he wants to hear it run and such, so as I am reaching in to start it I just happened to ( accidentally ) show my cc pistol. His entire demeanor changed after that and he decided not to buy the car. Go figure ..

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

Was just talking to my neighbor about a small utility trailer he posted up on CL.had a guy really into buying it.

exchanged info to pick it up and all.waits half of the day and nothing so he calls the guy as 7pm rolls around,no answer.today a guy shows up in a pickup saying he was sent to this address(my neighbor's)as he got a request to redo a driveway.go figure it's the buyers first name that requested the driveway to be done.does this CL buyer really have nothing better to do with life??????someone scoping out the trailer to come back at night????Weird!!!!

Edited by doebuck1234

I sold my wife’s dodge Neon on CL 15 years ago. It was the day of a family baptism and my buddy said he would follow me to the “drop”. Large woman came out, opened and got in the passenger side and said she need to get cash from the bank in a not so hot spot in YOnkers. She goes to the ATM(I was on high alert for a bad guy!)gets back in the car and then tells me to drive back to our first pick up point. (High alert #2!)
“Turn here,” she says as the sign says Dead End(#3). I do and get out to remove my plates(#4), make the transfers and drive away with $$$. All the while I was waiting for the other shoe to drop but it didn’t!!

I also sold my “kiddie pool” on CL for a$150. Local college kid came to the house to get it- my wife said, “Billy?!? How are you?!”
“Great Mrs Crappy..we have kids pledging our Frat and need them to bath in and then drink the pool of beer. This is perfect!”
“Really Billy?! That very different then the church youth group prayer group where we last met!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold a climber, met the guy at the Pembroke exit. I was wearing a black polo from the DEC golf outing that really looks like a DEC uniform shirt. The guy proceeds
To tell me how he and his son each shot two bucks opening morning of gun the year before, four bucks in an hour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A few years back I was on this internet forum for hunters in New York.  Some guy named Larry was selling a set of fireplace tools and I wanted to get them as a housewarming gift for my parents. I figured I'd grab the tools, give him the money, and be on my way. 

The guy comes out of the house and introduces himself. We shake hands and start shooting the shit. We got to talking about hunting, and he invited me in to see some of his custom rifles and mounts. The guy had bigger racks just tossed in the corner of his basement than I have seen in the woods. He offered me a beer and I wound up petting his lab for about an hour while we swapped hunting stories.    

Anyway, the guy was a real weirdo.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Caveman said:

A few years back I was on this internet forum for hunters in New York.  Some guy named Larry was selling a set of fireplace tools and I wanted to get them as a housewarming gift for my parents. I figured I'd grab the tools, give him the money, and be on my way. 

The guy comes out of the house and introduces himself. We shake hands and start shooting the shit. We got to talking about hunting, and he invited me in to see some of his custom rifles and mounts. The guy had bigger racks just tossed in the corner of his basement than I have seen in the woods. He offered me a beer and I wound up petting his lab for about an hour while we swapped hunting stories.    

Hey ,I enjoyed the talk ,and the dog the petting .

• Like 2

I was looking at a camper on cl in Rochester.  Called on.  Pics were awesome.   Probably  5k less than it was worth.  Set up the deal to look at it in the mall parking lot  in Henrietta on Saturday  morning . 

Then I got a call back asking me to come up on Friday  night  9 pm meet them at a friends house where it was parked .... oh and it they wanted cash.

As I recall it was Clinton street . Dont know anything about the area .

Told them no way i could do that. Guy kind of got mouthy on the phone . I told him that if it was suck an inconvenience  he should sell it to somebody else.  Told him goodbye  hung up .  They left messages 4 times over a week lowering the price  1 k each time.  

Started looking for campers on cl again and the same camper popped up in Syracuse.. Albany ... Fishkill.

Glad I didn't fall for that one ... 

• Like 3

A craiglist favorite is mining for legit email addresses and phone numbers. An item priced ridiculously cheap looking for a response which will give the scammer access to those email or phone numbers which in turn they sell to spammers who bomb your inbox with junk mail or have your phone ringing off the hook!

A good example shown below.

2020-07-04_193240.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I have frequently seen nice used boats selling for about half or less what you would expect...and the pics are always of what looks like southern locations with palm trees, ornate brick driveways, etc. Not CNY scenes. I responded to one once...always cell phones. They are eager to move it and are out of town, send my bank info and they will ship it to me!

1 hour ago, Caveman said:

Heck yea!  That was 6-7 years ago and I enjoyed it too.......

Sold ShawnHu some ammo and a reel I think at Hartsdale train station and Elmo popped out also!

Sold a BMW to an Arab guy in a parking lot who didn’t want me to put the mileage on the title. We bickered back n forth before I did it anyway.

Sold a corvette to a guy from Tennessee in 2008 at Westchester county airport. He kept hitting me up on auto trader and I thought it was a scam. Finally I said screw it and agreed to meet him. He flew in, paid me $18K in cash, put Tenn. plates on and drove it home that same day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Hey ,I enjoyed the talk ,and the dog the petting .

Wait a sec........I sold you some climbing sticks and we met out for wings, you could should have come and really petted the dog. :)

I don't know if I could ever come up with all the guys here I've sold stuff to (or bought from).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nytracker said:

As I recall it was Clinton street . Dont know anything about the area .

Well ,it’s Clinton ave. South Clinton isn’t to bad , North Clinton is a sh!t hole to be avoided by those who wish to keep,their , wallet ,car, life ......

I've sold a few things on Craigslist with no problems. Never include specific location or photos that might divulge where item is located, your email address or phone # within the listing. Couple other hints are to include that price is firm and you'll only accept cash or bank check! Of course even with a bank check, you'll hold item until check actually clears. Sad to say, but in today's world it's safer to be an A-hole than get burnt.

6 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sold ShawnHu some ammo and a reel I think at Hartsdale train station and Elmo popped out also!

Sold a BMW to an Arab guy in a parking lot who didn’t want me to put the mileage on the title. We bickered back n forth before I did it anyway.

Sold a corvette to a guy from Tennessee in 2008 at Westchester county airport. He kept hitting me up on auto trader and I thought it was a scam. Finally I said screw it and agreed to meet him. He flew in, paid me $18K in cash, put Tenn. plates on and drove it home that same day.

Forgot what we were doing.  I think we were trying to call coyotes or fishing or something but we were already in driving down from passing through the area.  He asked if I mind waiting around for a bit so he could meet up with some random dude.  I was like ok, It's later than I had wanted it to be and sprung it on me at the last minute but he already suckered me into it.

• Like 1