DMP number's For 2020

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any idea when is the best time to apply for a doe tag. My zone has become difficult this year more than usual. So should I go before the end of the month or after the start of the new month.? Would I do better at my town clerk or not matter?

14 minutes ago, hunter said:

Does anyone have any idea when is the best time to apply for a doe tag. My zone has become difficult this year more than usual. So should I go before the end of the month or after the start of the new month.? Would I do better at my town clerk or not matter?

There is no "good time" it is random based on the anticipated application numbers (historical)  and issuance amounts.  If they under issue they draw randomly from those denied and send them after the application period closes. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

There is no "good time" it is random based on the anticipated application numbers (historical)  and issuance amounts.  If they under issue they draw randomly from those denied and send them after the application period closes. 

Interestingly its not first come first served.  I guess they want to avoid a rush.

On 7/5/2020 at 9:14 AM, Trial153 said:

And yet they still issue either sex bow and MZ tags for areas with little or no DMPS.....makes sense. Sigh .

How would they know which area one intends to hunt to fill the bow/MZ tags?  Or are you suggesting that we should apply for bow/MZ tags on an area by area basis?

How would they know which area one intends to hunt to fill the bow/MZ tags?  Or are you suggesting that we should apply for bow/MZ tags on an area by area basis?

I would love to see ALL antlerless to be taken only with permits through the lottery. Shouldn’t matter what weapon a hunter prefers we all should have the same opportunity to draw for one
  • Like 1

I think it's stupid that either sex tags can be used in areas that have no DMPs or low DMPS.

I agree that all DMPS should be valid in any season, they should also be person specific with out being able to transfer them. Right now you guys getting DMPs in units that they have no intention of using.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

I agree that all DMPS should be valid in any season, they should also be person specific with out being able to transfer them. Right now you guys getting DMPs in units that they have no intention of using.

We (and the DMP's) are population management tools first and foremast. I understand their change to allow transfers. They need the numbers taken and  why not be able to move the tags into the hands of folks that have the time, desire and opportunity to hunt? 

We (and the DMP's) are population management tools first and foremast. I understand their change to allow transfers. They need the numbers taken and  why not be able to move the tags into the hands of folks that have the time, desire and opportunity to hunt? 

Because DMPs are being bought by people for Dmzs that have no intention of hunting that zone and for no other reason they are more readily available then the zone they hunt in and that they may be transferred. By over subscribing we are taking opportunities from the hunters who do hunt in that zone and would fill a DMP if they had one. We also have hunters buying family members who will not hunt dmps in zones that that take two to three pointed to draw, so they create rotation of tags for non hunting family member to be transferred to themselves.
Better to have meaningful applications from hunters that that opportunity and desire to use DMPs.

I think it's stupid that either sex tags can be used in areas that have no DMPs or low DMPS.

Why would someone get a DMP for a unit they do not intend to hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Because DMPs are being bought by people for Dmzs that have no intention of hunting that zone and for no other reason they are more readily available then the zone they hunt in and that they may be transferred. By over subscribing we are taking opportunities from the hunters who do hunt in that zone and would fill a DMP if they had one. We also have hunters buying family members who will not hunt dmps in zones that that take two to three pointed to draw, so they create rotation of tags for non hunting family member to be transferred to themselves.
Better to have meaningful applications from hunters that that opportunity and desire to use DMPs.

Why would someone apply to an area they didn't intend to hunt? I guess their could be a reason but I can't think of one.  The using family members and such has been a thing since "doe permits" were created. I know wives and daughters that were sent through the courses just becasue there was 2 or 3 or even 4 people required on a on a single permit application, if you could even draw one.  I don't know how old you are Trial or how long you've been hunting in NY but I remember the multi person permits well. We've got it VERY easy now compared to how it use to be. I also remember when getting your bow tag only meant you could shoot an either sex deer but it was your normal REGULAR season "buck tag" that was used. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Why would someone apply to an area they didn't intend to hunt? I guess their could be a reason but I can't think of one.

33 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I do every year. In 8T there hasn't been second permits in a bunch of years. I apply for a permit in either 8A or 8P as I have friends and relatives in those areas. I transfer them if they are needed. Last year I applied to 7R which is by my place of employment. I knew I'd have little to no time to hunt there. I transferred it to a coworker who lives there.

I figure that might bring me good buck hunting karma. Still figuring, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two reasons. Number one its transferable so they will try to swap it with someone and number two is that they can, and they will use it another zone.
We see that often in checks, does that obviously are mistaged because the of the location and sighed over, mostly to husbands or family of the non hunting tag holder. It enables them to have and use permits in zones that otherwise might take a year or two in preference points to draw.

2 hours ago, Trial153 said:

I am NOT  a bow hunter by any means , yes I have a compound bow and went out one maybe two season's for a total of four times in the woods and did not score ! I bought a Crossbow for the simple reason of taking a Deer of either sex , on my property I'm lucky if I get a DMP every third or fourth year ! Preference Points are a Killer !

• Like 1

Don't forget the regular season tag becomes either sex in late season, too.

And it's not just either-sex for bow/mz, there is the either sex and the statewide antlerless, too.

I agree antlerless should be done on a pure draw basis or done with restrictions on use, such as not being able to apply the tag in an WMU with no DMPs, or not allowed to be applied to a WMU for a second antlerless harvest in a zone with no second DMP odds. Kill off the statewide stuff. 

Ohio's way is very complicated but they seem to be able to adjust quickly. Also an option.