DMP number's For 2020

Larry

I am NOT  a bow hunter by any means , yes I have a compound bow and went out one maybe two season's for a total of four times in the woods and did not score ! I bought a Crossbow for the simple reason of taking a Deer of either sex , on my property I'm lucky if I get a DMP every third or fourth year ! Preference Points are a Killer !

I am NOT  a bow hunter by any means , yes I have a compound bow and went out one maybe two season's for a total of four times in the woods and did not score ! I bought a Crossbow for the simple reason of taking a Deer of either sex , on my property I'm lucky if I get a DMP every third or fourth year ! Preference Points are a Killer !

The reason we have units that come in below objective, for years I might add is we are using either sex tags in units that have limited or no DMP allocations.
Knowing that it would be better to not allow it and allocate those tags to Dmps.

Also part of the reason you need three preference points is because you have guys applying for the wife and everyone else in their house every year because they can transfer them, knowing full well that applicant never had any intention of hunting

I do every year. In 8T there hasn't been second permits in a bunch of years. I apply for a permit in either 8A or 8P as I have friends and relatives in those areas. I transfer them if they are needed. Last year I applied to 7R which is by my place of employment. I knew I'd have little to no time to hunt there. I transferred it to a coworker who lives there.
I figure that might bring me good buck hunting karma. Still figuring, lol.

But you (or your party) has an intention to hunt it. At first it sounded like people were frustrated that others were getting rags to just get the tag and waste it.
Using one zone for another - well that’s just cheating so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Trial153 said:

I think it's stupid that either sex tags can be used in areas that have no DMPs or low DMPS.

I agree that all DMPS should be valid in any season, they should also be person specific with out being able to transfer them. Right now you guys getting DMPs in units that they have no intention of using.

The problem is a management area is huge, and doe home.ranges are not, I am in a low area with no chance for a second. But I need to take 10 doe a year off the property to keep population stable, either sex and antlerless only tags are how it gets done .I cannot get.enough doe tags for my.property as only.1/3 or.less have a chance at one. 

If you dont have a lot.of doe then dont shoot any,  if you do find a legal way to take your objective. 

• Like 1

I don't get the numbers for 8w. We are over run with deer in spots I have 5 different deer in my back yard daily . Just up the road there is a horse pasture and last week I counted  11 deer in it .  I see deer all the time in the hay field acrossed  the road. Honestly think they need to work on their audit system.

What last two members have observed, what you're seeing isn't always going to relate to the guesstimation the DEC makes for the deer population in large WMUs. WMU where I hunt is listed as literally being over-run by deer, meaning 4-DMPs are almost given out for the asking. So .. when I'm sitting in the tree stand, I'm not seeing this over-abundance of deer in my small part of the large WMU.

FYI - If you recall, new licenses used to go on sale Aug 15th, until a few years ago when it got moved to 8/1.

Oh yeah, vividly remember those "Party Permits".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I would love to see ALL antlerless to be taken only with permits through the lottery. Shouldn’t matter what weapon a hunter prefers we all sould have the same opportunity to draw for one

Allowing antlerless  with the bow/ML tags in all but a few Adirondack DMU/s works out well for me, so I hope they keep it like it is.   My in-laws place is in 6C, up on the NW corner of the park.  It is nearly impossible to draw a DMP tag up there, so I don't ever try.  I see around (6) antlerless deer per every antlered one on hunts up there.   Being able to use that second "antlerless only" tag up there, greatly increases my odds of bringing home some meat during those "special" 10 days, prior to gun season, with my crossbow or ML.   Meat is the primary reason I hunt, but I am very selective on bucks up there then with my either/or tag, because I dot want to miss out on chances at a big one at home in western NY in November.    

That "either or" tag is quite valuable to me at home where I rarely see antlerless deer after October 1st .  The local farmers hammer them hard prior to that on their nuisance permits.   The ratio I see here during hunting season is almost the opposite of up North at about 6 antlered bucks per antlerless deer (nuisance permits are for antlerless deer only and the local farmers stick to that requirement pretty good).  If they put all the antlerless permits into the lottery, as you advocate, it would make it more difficult for me to obtain an adequate meat supply for my family, and I would certainly be forced into more store-bought chicken.   That is definitely not something I would prefer. 

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

If they put all the antlerless permits into the lottery, as you advocate, it would make it more difficult for me to obtain an adequate meat supply for my family, and I would certainly be forced into more store-bought chicken.   That is definitely not something I would prefer. 

But the amount of tags in the lottery would be considerably higher since they would take into account the numbers not taken as you described. I just feel any hunter should have a draw possibility and they currently don't. I take advantage of how it works now. I ML hunt in the NZ and take a doe every year up there with my antlerless only during that season. It's the jump start of our "camp meat" for the upcoming season. 

Buy having all tags in the DMPS lottery, you increase the total number of available tags, just as imported they will be DMZ specific and can be only used in targeted areas.
Buy not allowing transfers of tags you will decrease the amount of total applications, so now it's easier to draw the DMPS.
Win win for everyone that isn't breaking the law and bending the rules.

• 2 weeks later...