Multipurpose food plot

I finally broke down and had the dozer come in and clear about 1.5 acre of land on the hill side. The plan is to plant  columns of some fruit trees on the border and and in the middle of the plot. The rest will be filled with everything from oats, rye, wheat and clover.

Now if only i could get some rain. The next 5 days are all over 90 degrees of a heat wave.

before.jpg

after.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I am having a hard time locating rye or winter wheat seed, also going to be dropping off the soil sample for lab testing soon.

Pierce milling should have some in delevan. 

Last yr i was super busy with my sons baseball and didn’t have a lot of time to invest so I just bought a bio logic bag and some other one at tractor supply and threw it down. 
I had done a soul test before they started and it was around 5.5ph so we put down 1500lb of lime before we planted. 

On 7/6/2020 at 10:26 AM, Zag said:

Last yr i was super busy with my sons baseball and didn’t have a lot of time to invest so I just bought a bio logic bag and some other one at tractor supply and threw it down. 
I had done a soul test before they started and it was around 5.5ph so we put down 1500lb of lime before we planted. 

I am still waiting on the soil test results from Cornell Co-op. Anticipating the rain i spread some clover in there to help get it started. I am assuming will need lime as this has been 30+ yrs of natural growth.

What are your or any one elses thoughts on liquid calcium vs lime?

58 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Also is it too late to plant corn or beans?

To late. I have only done traditional bagged lime. Not sure how long Cornell takes, Ive used whitetail institutes tests and they are pretty fast.

Will that much fertilizer burn ? I have access to Trip-13 here

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Still have time for ,Winter pea,any of the brassica family, clover ,or winter grain ,around 1st week in august , 200 lbs of 10_20_20 fertilizer per acre and you will have a good plot. 

29 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Will that much fertilizer burn ? I have access to Trip-13 here

Trip. 13 will work but most fall plots require a higher p,k content and not as much nitrogen as you want roots( bulbs) to develop and not tops.  No if you have a spreader you will be fine.  An acre is a big area.  And 4, 50 lbs bags will go faster than you think. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

The torrential rain I am sure washed away all the clover seed I spread out there earlier.

Will spread some more on monday evening to top coat and ordered 50lb of winter peas and 200lb of rye.

200 lb of rye?  4 acres worth? Rain prolly just pushed clover into dirt. Unless you see washouts, over seedingrate  is worse thing for a plot by far

If it were my new plot I would spend more $ on lime and less on fertilizer.  I should be ordering seed for fall plots this week.  Also getting rye and peas.  I already have some brassica and clover seed.  Good luck with the plot.  Hope to see some green pics in early October.