Belisle 280's

Water Rat

Yesterday I attached some chain and tags to a dozen traps. This morning I took them to Foam & Wash for a good power washing. Now I'll leave them in the weeds and hose them down at dusk to get a light coat of rust on them.

472503150_thumbnail(6).thumb.jpg.ba52e8f77de8910118d7c3874687ae44.jpg

• Like 1

So let me start off by saying I know absolutely nothing about trapping but if I read that right you power washed the traps clean then left them out over night to rust?

What the reasons/thought process behind that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

So let me start off by saying I know absolutely nothing about trapping but if I read that right you power washed the traps clean then left them out over night to rust?

To air out and eliminate scent.

The reason to let them get a a film or rust is basically the rust is camo. Looks like dirt or leaves. No shiny out of place metal sheen .

A friend of mine boils them in some kind of brine solution and then lets them hang for a month outside .

I will have to find out what that solution is and post it. Its some kind of natural oils and has some animal fat in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SportsmanNH said:

A friend of mine boils them in some kind of brine solution and then lets them hang for a month outside .

I will have to find out what that solution is and post it. Its some kind of natural oils and has some animal fat in it.

it is usually some sort of dye. They sell powders to add to the water and you can even use things like black walnuts. The "airing out" is usually for scent on foot hold traps. I am not certain about how Water rat is gong to be setting for Otter but for things like beaver and muskrat and using the body gripping traps under water there is no need to worry about scent.  Even the trail sets that I use for coon that are body gripping sets the coons don't seem mind scent  on them at all. 

My buddy uses all 3 of these .  The main one he starts the trapping season with is the " Speed Dip mixed with lantern oil. One in a while he thrown some beaver fat in the mix while its hot.  This mix is the one he has to let the traps hang for a while to let the petroleum scent dissipate . he will use the other logwood and Full Metal Jacket if he needs to mid season. But he says most traps are fine all season with just the Speed Dip / Lantern Oil mix.

He does very well trapping every winter. He does alot of trapping for the state to get rid of problem beavers. 

Catches quite a few coyotes ,  foxes , otters ,  fisher cats ,  and muskrats .

https://www.coyotetrappingschool.com/a-review-of-different-trap-dyes-and-dips/

8 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Black walnut husks.. pine pitch  and paraffin... we never let the water boil ... just got it hot enough to steam .  Make sure your in old clothes and gloves ... you wont get the stains out 

Thats what my buddy said . Get the mix simmering . Not boiling . 

On 7/5/2020 at 11:48 AM, Water Rat said:

Yesterday I attached some chain and tags to a dozen traps. This morning I took them to Foam & Wash for a good power washing. Now I'll leave them in the weeds and hose them down at dusk to get a light coat of rust on them.

Are those new traps? I just ordered a dozen MB550's  from what i've read some guys use them as is the first year then dye them others boil and let them rust right out of the box.Just wondering which is the best way to go

844089749_IMG_6635(1).thumb.JPG.02ec2a1b0c98e08a4b44212f6cb9ecc6.JPG

19 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to get the traps rusty so the dye will adhere to the steel better. The safety hooks are made from a different metal because they're not rusting. If it doesn't take the dye , it shouldn't be an issue.

844089749_IMG_6635(1).thumb.JPG.02ec2a1b0c98e08a4b44212f6cb9ecc6.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rachunter said:

Are those new traps? I just ordered a dozen MB550's  from what i've read some guys use them as is the first year then dye them others boil and let them rust right out of the box.Just wondering which is the best way to go

Yes they are brand new. When you get your new MB-550's you can use them right out of the box. But they will need to be waxed first. After the first year in the ground they will need to be cleaned , dyed and waxed before you use them again.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...