NYS Crossbow hunting & season wrong from day one

bbG

What is your position on the fact that crossbow hunters in NYS are allowed into the field at the absolute best time of the season with a weapon that is basically equal to having a muzzle loader and which takes about the same skill level as using one to kill any whitetail deer?

Aside from the fact that I’m 100% for keeping this the same for “Any hunter who for any reason can ONLY hunt with a crossbow.”…

This is what I say:

For traditional bowhunters this is a bunch of bunk. Who came up with this BS, the bowhunting industry, greedy and corrupt NYS looking for the license fees, or the “easy way out” club who needs everything “given” to them like the way their weak, spoiling parents gave them, or did they all sit down and have a “meeting” to steamroll past any opposition from the real bowhunters?

So here's my proposal:

“The crossbow season in NYS for any individual who does NOT NEED a crossbow to hunt shall now be a late season at the same time as late archery and late muzzle loader.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bbG said:

What is your position on the fact that crossbow hunters in NYS are allowed into the field at the absolute best time of the season with a weapon that is basically equal to having a muzzle loader and which takes about the same skill level as using one to kill any whitetail deer?

Aside from the fact that I’m 100% for keeping this the same for “Any hunter who for any reason can ONLY hunt with a crossbow.”…

This is what I say:

For traditional bowhunters this is a bunch of bunk. Who came up with this BS, the bowhunting industry, greedy and corrupt NYS looking for the license fees, or the “easy way out” club who needs everything “given” to them like the way their weak, spoiling parents gave them, or did they all sit down and have a “meeting” to steamroll past any opposition from the real bowhunters?

So here's my proposal:

“The crossbow season in NYS for any individual who does NOT NEED a crossbow to hunt shall now be a late season at the same time as late archery and late muzzle loader.”

If you were somebody your " Proposal " might mean something ..... First Post  ? Wait in line buddy !

• Like 1

yeah bb this issue has been beat to death in prior posts, lil angry for first post dont you think... Same as muzzle loader not im  with rob 40 yrds is about it,  my loader good for 150, i know many guys with compounds can shoot better then some xbows.... im sure traditional shooters had the same bitch about compounds back in the day, enjoy what u want dont be angry ...

• Like 1

Other than having just 3 days before the guns come in in the nz, I am quite content with the ny crossbow season.  Having the best 2 weeks of the archery season in th sz has worked out well very well for me.  

A couple tweaks that would make things better would be, add 11 days to the nz, and also limit the vertical compound guys to the last 14 days.  Traditional archery guys like the OP deserve some early time to themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbG said:

This is what I say:

So here's my proposal:

I've probably been bow hunting, longer than you've been alive. My bow is still my first love. Nothing will ever give me the thrill I get, from taking a deer with my bow. But.....I like hunting with a crossbow a few days a season too! Nothing wrong with it. To each their own. No one says YOU have to use a crossbow! Are you afraid a crossbow hunter will shoot YOUR deer??? If so, become a better bow hunter.

C'mon man..... you can do better with a first post.

• Like 10

1st your 30 years to late to support traditional bow hunting , that went out the door with the compound. ....

2nd doesn't bother me In the least ,i still hunt with what archery equipment i want and you can as well.

3rd hope they put it as archery equipment in whole season, and obviously you have never really.shot black powder or a crossbow.. 

• Like 3

Hummm.  Only 1 post, and a controversial one at that. 

No second post because it's ( I say it's, because who knows what "it" identifies as.) and I don't want to insult "it" because I really don't know what bbG identify's as....  If it was BBQ.  I might be able to relate. Just doing my best to be as politically correct as possible. 

Edited by mowin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Will cross guns have the full season this year or still just the 2 weeks?

Bill is in house ,but they are meeting infrequently,  more than likely I would say it's not going anywhere fast, but if you want it call and write your representatives maybe they will push it thru, to late to be Included in syllabus as that's already printed for this year

Edited by G-Man

51 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Alot more Hunters like me would jump on the bandwagon if CrossBow opened " with" Early Archery Deer.  Alot more Money would be coming in as well.     I don't think the Author above-- will post again. It could be - 1 and Done.     

Why not buy a compound and hunt THIS 10/1?

• Like 3

Has anyone considered two archery seasons. 1- a traditional archery season with self bows, and recurves with no stabilizers, sights, releases and wooden arrows with solid broadheads. and 2- a modern archery season with compound bows with sights, stabilizers and releases. Arrows could be any material desired with any non-barbed broadhead. Crossbows would  be included  as modern archery equipment.

Have traditional archery run from 27 Sept. to  15 Oct. Modern archery would then run till regular big season.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Not interested in a Compound. Crossbow- more so.

Just as easy as a crossbow. ( honestly  a 50 lb pull and peep and kisser button ) in and hour you could kill a deer to 30 yards. And once pins are set it's like a scope unless you damage bump.them. they are sighted in every year. ,  no. Reason to shy away from a compound especially in today high let off world.   Traditional  stick bow is a different animal.. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Just as easy as a crossbow. ( honestly  a 50 lb pull and peep and kisser button ) in and hour you could kill a deer to 30 yards. And once pins are set it's like a scope unless you damage bump.them. they are sighted in every year. ,  no. Reason to shy away from a compound especially in today high let off world.   Traditional  stick bow is a different animal.. 

100% agree . I know many guys at work who bought a compound and killed deer their first year , some of them out shot some of us in no time . One guy joined our 3D league  using a bow borrowed from another competitor , so the only time he shot was at the meet , half way through he bought his own bow . Living in the city through he had no place to practice regularly, he won the league  that year . 

• Like 3

Years ago I'd have said I'd be happy with alternating late/early muzzle loader and crossbow seasons (southern zone).  Switching them ever year or two. 

But now the woods are awash with every nudnik that's ever been in a Walmart during Muzzle loading season, so an early southern season now days would be a big mistake. 

A traditional archery season sounds like a good idea.. though in reality it would either be under utilized or push some unskilled archers to the woods to "cash in".    (I'd love a traditional ML season)

• Like 1