NYS Crossbow hunting & season wrong from day one

bbG

4 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Thanks-- but no interest at all. Probably similar to most here as far as hardcore hunting for the Fall Turkey. - Nada interest. 

If Crossbow ever changes it opening day to Oct 1st, I will give that a whirl.   In the meantime- October 1st is also the Cherished Pheasant Opener.

You always struck me as the kind of guy who welcomed a challenge ,you are one of the last people i figured would take the easy way out and go crossbow. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

Just as easy as a crossbow. ( honestly  a 50 lb pull and peep and kisser button ) in and hour you could kill a deer to 30 yards. And once pins are set it's like a scope unless you damage bump.them. they are sighted in every year. ,  no. Reason to shy away from a compound especially in today high let off world.   Traditional  stick bow is a different animal.. 

Lol. I hate to jump on these endless crossbow vs compound debates..but..

I don't agree. 

I can hit a coffee cup size target all day long with a crossbow at 70yds.(not that one should shoot deer at that distance)

I would have to limit myself to 20yds if I wanted to be as consistent with a compound. 

There are many more variables that will affect your accuracy when shooting a compound and even more with traditional. 

And they often will show up in a hunting situation vs standing in the back yd.

And yes, I hunt with both quite successfully. 

• Like 5

Just now, blackbeltbill said:

Only interested in Crossbow as a new  Disipline if the Season was moved back to the early Archery Opener as, I wrote.        

They are a lot of fun though. Makes you feel like some sorta medieval sniper. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought a Crossbow about 3 years ago and while I would not consider myself a Bow Hunter I took the crossbow out of the box , let off 3 shots in the backyard and took a nice 6 pointer opening day of Crossbow ( SZ )  and the next week I took a Doe ! It certainly is an easy way to get into Bow Season without actually being a Bow Hunter !  Just my opinion . 

Years ago I'd have said I'd be happy with alternating late/early muzzle loader and crossbow seasons (southern zone).  Switching them ever year or two. 
But now the woods are awash with every nudnik that's ever been in a Walmart during Muzzle loading season, so an early southern season now days would be a big mistake. 
A traditional archery season sounds like a good idea.. though in reality it would either be under utilized or push some unskilled archers to the woods to "cash in".    (I'd love a traditional ML season)

I also wish our ML was trad like Pa. and I’m a proud owner of a modern in line scoped ML

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I also wish our ML was trad like Pa. and I’m a proud owner of a modern in line scoped ML

If I don’t screw it up I have a solid line on a LEFT HANDED Hawken muzzleloader built in the 60’s.  Cannot wait to get my hands on that and sell my inline! 

Also, any left handed archers looking for traditional recurve or longbow, contact me, I have someone looking to sell a bit of his collection.  Which I saw and it was extensive.  All LH. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

Lol. I hate to jump on these endless crossbow vs compound debates..but..

I don't agree. 

I can hit a coffee cup size target all day long with a crossbow at 70yds.(not that one should shoot deer at that distance)

I would have to limit myself to 20yds if I wanted to be as consistent with a compound. 

There are many more variables that will affect your accuracy when shooting a compound and even more with traditional. 

And they often will show up in a hunting situation vs standing in the back yd.

And yes, I hunt with both quite successfully. 

I can do both but my compound shoots flatter further, and at 30 yards with a modern compound 80% plus let off 30 yards is a easy shot ( most would have 1 pin to 30. Yards to begone with now.)  I couldnt hold a xbow up steady enough to shoot farther than 40 without a rest.  I can easily do 70 with a compound as is 1/3 the weight and balanced not front heavy . Use a release with finely tuned trigger as well. Basiaclaly a hand drawn rifle these days. There is a reason the long bow out preformed the crossbow for centuries.  ( today's x bows are vastly different than those 10 years ago) 

It's the false stigma that bow is harder today's are so easy to set up and shoot , 20 years ago yes, maybe 50% layoff if you were lucky and 65 % was top of the line back then ,  the equipment will out shoot the shooter same as most rifles. 

Honestly I know more people that just pick their bow out of the case shoot a dozen arrows and are ready to go hunting, and then the guy that practices every day for months and then season comes and he will go 30 to 60 days and then take his shot at a deer with no practice since the day before opening day... 

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

I bought a Crossbow about 3 years ago and while I would not consider myself a Bow Hunter I took the crossbow out of the box , let off 3 shots in the backyard and took a nice 6 pointer opening day of Crossbow ( SZ )  and the next week I took a Doe ! It certainly is an easy way to get into Bow Season without actually being a Bow Hunter !  Just my opinion . 

And I bet after you sighted your pins on the compound you could of done the same after a few hours shooting. 

8 hours ago, G-Man said:

Just as easy as a crossbow. ( honestly  a 50 lb pull and peep and kisser button ) in and hour you could kill a deer to 30 yards. And once pins are set it's like a scope unless you damage bump.them. they are sighted in every year. ,  no. Reason to shy away from a compound especially in today high let off world.   Traditional  stick bow is a different animal.. 

So looking into a scope and squeezing a trigger is the same as pulling back a string, holding on target and release? 
Not even close ! With a compound there’s a shot process and the slightest drop of an elbow or shift of a grip will cause the shot to be off . Cmon Greg your better than that 

• Like 4

I agree with Gman. Compounds are easy to shoot, even for a newbie. Anybody should be able to pickup a vertical bow and be in the 12 ring every shot in about an hour.

Also, geared tractors are far superior to hydrostatic tractors.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Farflung said:

Has anyone considered two archery seasons. 1- a traditional archery season with self bows, and recurves with no stabilizers, sights, releases and wooden arrows with solid broadheads. and 2- a modern archery season with compound bows with sights, stabilizers and releases. Arrows could be any material desired with any non-barbed broadhead. Crossbows would  be included  as modern archery equipment.

Have traditional archery run from 27 Sept. to  15 Oct. Modern archery would then run till regular big season.

Great idea.  Similar to what I suggested, but you are giving the compound/crossbow guys a few more weeks.  It makes a lot of sense to group the compound with the crossbow.  Oddly enough,  all of the anti-crossbow bowhunters that I know of, only hunt with compounds.

I wonder if the OP realizes that the members of this site have consistently supported full-inclusion of the crossbow in archery season by a 3:1 margin ? Maybe it's time for another poll.  As I stated above, I have grown quite content with the two weeks that we have now, down in the sz.   If the poll had "leave it 2 weeks" as an option, I might even go for that over full-inclusion.  It is nice to have the extra time early for squirrel, turkey, & rabbit hunting along with some more fall smallmouth bass fishing.    The real problem, is up in the northern zone, where the crossbow only gets 3 days before the early ML season.  Whats up with that ?  Must be that NYB has more influence up there.         

100% agree . I know many guys at work who bought a compound and killed deer their first year , some of them out shot some of us in no time . One guy joined our 3D league  using a bow borrowed from another competitor , so the only time he shot was at the meet , half way through he bought his own bow . Living in the city through he had no place to practice regularly, he won the league  that year . 

Agree. I wish I started bow hunting with compound earlier. I have a bad separated shoulder and was always under the impression I needed to shoot a ton every week to be proficient. Maybe it’s because I played sports, but after 8 shots with 8 different bows in a bowshop, I picked out my bow. Went back a Week later to pick it up and shot it a few times and then politely declined the FREE 1 hour range session. I felt very comfortable shooting 0-35 yard by feel with my single pin at 25 yards right away. I don’t practice farther but if I ever wanted to hunt out west or open fields I’m confident I could get my site tape right and be good at longer distances real quick. When I pick up my bow this august to start shooting for first time in 10 months it will be like riding a bike. The first shot will be within 1-2” of bullseye at 25yds

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nomad said:

100% agree . I know many guys at work who bought a compound and killed deer their first year , some of them out shot some of us in no time . One guy joined our 3D league  using a bow borrowed from another competitor , so the only time he shot was at the meet , half way through he bought his own bow . Living in the city through he had no place to practice regularly, he won the league  that year . 

i'm sorry but that is a piss poor league , unless i'm just shooting in too high of skill level class ,you can't have an off round and expect to win . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Agree. I wish I started bow hunting with compound earlier. I have a bad separated shoulder and was always under the impression I needed to shoot a ton every week to be proficient. Maybe it’s because I played sports, but after 8 shots with 8 different bows in a bowshop, I picked out my bow. Went back a Week later to pick it up and shot it a few times and then politely declined the FREE 1 hour range session. I felt very comfortable shooting 0-35 yard by feel with my single pin at 25 yards right away. I don’t practice farther but if I ever wanted to hunt out west or open fields I’m confident I could get my site tape right and be good at longer distances real quick. When I pick up my bow this august to start shooting for first time in 10 months it will be like riding a bike. The first shot will be within 1-2” of bullseye at 25yds

Everyone's idea of proficient is different , we shoot at half dollars out to 50 yards , proficient to me is being able to make that shot 8 out of 10 times . Small paper plates at 50 yards wouldn't even be fun. 

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, sodfather said:

So looking into a scope and squeezing a trigger is the same as pulling back a string, holding on target and release? 
Not even close ! With a compound there’s a shot process and the slightest drop of an elbow or shift of a grip will cause the shot to be off . Cmon Greg your better than that 

If you use a kisser look thru peep and use release it's exactly the same , unless your eyes are bad and you cant use open sights but hey make scopes for compounds as well. and what are you. Holding. 8 lbs or less on. Some of these new bows. . Hold a xbow and drop an elbow or hold it up for long time and you will be waving around. Off a rest different but out of a stand your off hand. , there is. A process with a rifle as well for that matter.  And as always the equipment will outshoot the hunter. 

Honestly  using a flintlock with open sights and traditional archery are only things that really take a amount of practice . 

13 minutes ago, G-Man said:

If you use a kisser look thru peep and use release it's exactly the same , unless your eyes are bad and you cant use open sights but hey make scopes for compounds as well. and what are you. Holding. 8 lbs or less on. Some of these new bows. . Hold a xbow and drop an elbow or hold it up for long time and you will be waving around. Off a rest different but out of a stand your off hand. , there is. A process with a rifle as well for that matter.  And as always the equipment will outshoot the hunter. 

Honestly  using a flintlock with open sights and traditional archery are only things that really take a amount of practice . 

Holding 8 pounds is 8 pounds more then you will ever hold on a crossbow though . Physically holding and a cocked cross gun are not the same.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Holding 8 pounds is 8 pounds more then you will ever hold on a crossbow though . Physically holding and a cocked cross gun are not the same.  

Holding 8 lbs and holding a 8 lb plus xbow that is front heavy are not the same but the x bow is harder to hold steady without a rest beyond a doubt.   They both have advantages and drawbacks but neither are difficult to learn to shoot.. now a 120 lb long bow..... well. That's a life time of work.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, G-Man said:

Holding 8 lbs and holding a 8 lb plus xbow that is front heavy are not the same but the x bow is harder to hold steady without a rest beyond a doubt.   They both have advantages and drawbacks but neither are difficult to learn to shoot.. now a 120 lb long bow..... well. That's a life time of work.

Meh, they dont look that hard to shoot ,her draw weight is probably less then 120 though

images.jpeg-1.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Everyone's idea of proficient is different , we shoot at half dollars out to 50 yards , proficient to me is being able to make that shot 8 out of 10 times . Small paper plates at 50 yards wouldn't even be fun. 

that is awesome but in reality, absolutely not needed to harvest a deer inside 30 yards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

that is awesome but in reality, absolutely not needed to harvest a deer inside 30 yards. 

The confidence is nice and it opens up more shot opportunity if they get outside the designated lanes .