NYS Crossbow hunting & season wrong from day one

bbG

29 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'm not talking legal disabilities. I'm talking the guys who come up with physical excuses as to why they can't compound hunt anymore, the same guys who compound hunted right up until crossbow were interjected into bow season and suddenly they "just can't seem to draw their bows back anymore, so I just use a crossbow." Or, "I don't have time to practice with my compound so I just use the crossbow now." In a lot of instances it's just a cop out to use something easier. I'd rather just hear them say, "I wanted to make it easier to kill deer during archery." There's no need to sugar coat it, that's exactly what it is in most cases.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I take my 1st deer with my bow and maybe a second if x bow hasnt opened. Never had much luck in the rut,  Heck I'd hunt with a spear  or sling shot if they had a season. As for shoulder Injuries and age I see alot of older and rotator cuff injured hunters pick up x bow when they cant draw a bow anymore , though they prolly could with these new high layoff bows but are not going to spend the money on one when they can get a x bow for 300 or so

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Oh, well I’m one of those guys . After 30 years I couldn’t draw my bow anymore . Bought an xbow , didn’t kill a deer the first year , last year I bought an Elite compound  off JeremyK that I can draw, used that last year ,then 

The challenge is not the shot, it’s having the chance at a close shot .

The typical american indian bow was 30 lbs or so pull, the ability to get close was what made them effective.  Today though it distance.. how many times guys buy long range rifles when the typical shot is under 70 yards where they hunt.  Same with x bow. People buy them. Think I'm going to shoot 100 yards and then after a few seasons of missing give up or learn to take closer shots. ( some great deals out there on x bows that didnt give them the advantage they thought it would.) 

I take my 1st deer with my bow and maybe a second if x bow hasnt opened. Never had much luck in the rut,  Heck I'd hunt with a spear  or sling shot if they had a season. As for shoulder Injuries and age I see alot of older and rotator cuff injured hunters pick up x bow when they cant draw a bow anymore , though they prolly could with these new high layoff bows but are not going to spend the money on one when they can get a x bow for 300 or so
If someone has a legitimate injury then I absolutely have no issues with that. It's the 30yr old guys who are giving up on vertical bows because they take more effort to succeed. But I suppose it's a losing battle to fight, our society is built on easy trophies. I just hate to watch the way hunting is going, now you aren't a hunter unless you carry an Ozonics machine, crossbow and a tool to make a mock deer scrape. We are all guilty of it to some extent I suppose. I enjoy the work and time and frustrations of hunting. If I wanted easy meat I'd save a lot of time and money and get it from Wegmans.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rob-c said:

Man,  must be some pro level bow shooters in here . Pick up a brand new bow and in a hour their all in the 12 ring. You guys should be out making money at it if it’s that easy. 

Dont need a 12 ring to kill a deer those are 3d shooters.. 10 in. Out at 30 yards is a dead deer, I will be 1st to admit I am.not a good shot but I dont miss under 20.yards and less.  Gave up shooting groups years ago practiced all the time , robinhood arrows gets expensive through the sound the aluminum makes and dust cloud were memorable, carbon well you may as well burn your paycheck 1x a month.  

The push for practice all the time and it's hard scares many away from compound use.  Like it has bill.  Crossbow seems much easier until. A gun hunter picks up one and tries a long shot and bolt deflects or the arc hits trees well before target.

Archery in all its forms is a get close to game hunt .  3 d , target, tricks are run by those that want to shoot all the time. If you can get close to game ,you can kill it  that is an art in itself.

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I have no doubt he will be “pie plate” ready quickly, I get that. But bow hunting rarely gives you that easy broadside clear chipshot. You’ve hunted a lot more than I have so you know what I mean. Last year I got an arrow through a small hole in a tangle of brambles at 23 yards from a stand, I’m not Levy Morgan but a person with a few hours on a bow doesn’t make that shot IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I handed an oneida strike eagle to a friend who literally took. 3 shots and then went out and killed a deer after his bow broke that morning,  setups are key to archery,  several in camp keep track of deer they could of killed  ( shot opportunities) vs deer seen.  We have multiple stands that multiple deer could be shot out of after just killing one.  That positioning is the hardest thing in hunting imo. Getting the spot to kill. A deer from not just see it.  Same holds true in turkey hunting the set up is the key calling is secondary 

You are talking off the top of your head and not making much sense. 
Says the guy with no interest in anything but a crossbow and no insight as to why... Sounds more like you fit into the narrative above and it pinched a nerve for you.

• Thanks 1

What you are really saying is-- I don't want any Competition around on this Buck, I have on a Public Land Trail Camera. 

Do you have an issue reading? Because if not then maybe stop pulling stuff from your ass. If you want to read what I said read it. It's in plain English.

• Like 1

Every year, I appreciate those two weeks of crossbow season in the southern zone a little more.   Last year was the best yet, when I killed my best 8-point on opening day.   I am so thankful that those two weeks include all of the rut, which has always been my favorite time to hunt.   Over my first 32 years of archery hunting, I killed  and recovered 6 deer with two different compounds (I never killed one that I recovered with my first compound, but one that I got a bad hit on with it likely perished).   I also missed one clean and struck 4 in the shoulder blade, which likely recovered from their wounds.   I know for certain that one of those did because a friend took it later with a gun and it was very well healed up.    That 50/50 ish recovery percentage wasn't cutting it for me.   I respect the deer that I hunt and they deserve better than that.

The crossbow has been the answer for me.  In just (6) years of hunting just the 2-week crossbow season, my take with that weapon is just one shy of my 32 year total with the compounds.  More importantly, there has been no misses or unrecovered hits.   Is the crossbow easier ?   

Prior to the crossbow's entry in 2014, archery season never had much impact on my families food supply.   Since then, it has often given me more than gun season.   All that extra time not hunting or practicing has also come in handy.    Now if only NY state would do something for the folks in the northern zone to let them have a bit more than the paltry three days they got now before the guns (early ML season) opens, everything would be really great.   

To the three compound hunters on this thread who are still fighting the crossbow tooth and nail, I suggest moving to Oregon.  They have the even tastier blacktail deer and may be the only state that still allows no crossbow hunting.  I don't expect to see that though.  I would be happy if they would understand why I am so thankful to be able to hunt the entire rut in the southern zone, with the weapon of my choice.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Dont need a 12 ring to kill a deer those are 3d shooters.. 10 in. Out at 30 yards is a dead deer, I will be 1st to admit I am.not a good shot but I dont miss under 20.yards and less.  Gave up shooting groups years ago practiced all the time , robinhood arrows gets expensive through the sound the aluminum makes and dust cloud were memorable, carbon well you may as well burn your paycheck 1x a month.  

The push for practice all the time and it's hard scares many away from compound use.  Like it has bill.  Crossbow seems much easier until. A gun hunter picks up one and tries a long shot and bolt deflects or the arc hits trees well before target.

Archery in all its forms is a get close to game hunt .  3 d , target, tricks are run by those that want to shoot all the time. If you can get close to game ,you can kill it  that is an art in itself.

Just commenting on others comments about how easy a vertical bow Is to shoot.

• Like 1

Every year, I appreciate those two weeks of crossbow season in the southern zone a little more.   Last year was the best yet, when I killed my best 8-point on opening day.   I am so thankful that those two weeks include all of the rut, which has always been my favorite time to hunt.   Over my first 32 years of archery hunting, I killed  and recovered 6 deer with two different compounds (I never killed one that I recovered with my first compound, but one that I got a bad hit on with it likely perished).   I also missed one clean and struck 4 in the shoulder blade, which likely recovered from their wounds.   I know for certain that one of those did because a friend took it later with a gun and it was very well healed up.    That 50/50 ish recovery percentage wasn't cutting it for me.   I respect the deer that I hunt and they deserve better than that.
The crossbow has been the answer for me.  In just (6) years of hunting just the 2-week crossbow season, my take with that weapon is just one shy of my 32 year total with the compounds.  More importantly, there has been no misses or unrecovered hits.   Is the crossbow easier ?   
Prior to the crossbow's entry in 2014, archery season never had much impact on my families food supply.   Since then, it has often given me more than gun season.   All that extra time not hunting or practicing has also come in handy.    Now if only NY state would do something for the folks in the northern zone to let them have a bit more than the paltry three days they got now before the guns (early ML season) opens, everything would be really great.   
To the three compound hunters on this thread who are still fighting the crossbow tooth and nail, I suggest moving to Oregon.  They have the even tastier blacktail deer and may be the only state that still allows no crossbow hunting.  I don't expect to see that though.  I would be happy if they would understand why I am so thankful to be able to hunt the entire rut in the southern zone, with the weapon of my choice.  
What do you chalk your 50/50 recovery rate up to? No practice? Bad practice? Poor equipment? Poor knowledge of archery? Lousy shot? Poor angles?

• Like 1

And Wolc, I'm not advocating against your savior "The Crossbow." We're simply arguing semantics on effectiveness, ease of shooting etc... So no need to try to pack people up for Oregon because suddenly you can start killing deer with an easier implement. You don't seem too tolerant for a religious man...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

I'd rather just hear them say, "I wanted to make it easier to kill deer during archery." There's no need to sugar coat it, that's exactly what it is in most cases.

I’m out with my bow on the archery opener with everyone else. But I’ll easily admit that I look forward to the last two weeks so I can pick up my xbow. It does make it easier. But it’s fun with something different too.

If xbows ever do get full inclusion, I might take a compound, but will pick up the xbow 9/10 times. It’s still “archery hunting”. I don’t shoot past 40 yds with an xbow, and inside 30 with a compound. So it’s an extra 10 yds. Doesn’t change archery hunting for me.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

I am reasonable and flexible...say 65.

I'm elderly, but I have no interest using a weapon that does not burn  powder...  If bowhunting is your hobby, FINE  as long as you don't  consider yourself superior to those whose hobby is NOT  bowhunting....That said I killed half a dozen whitetails and an elk with a compound. I would have happily shot every one of them with a rifle and been as happy as a clam if it were legal...Once again..Bowhunting snobs who think they are superior to the rest of  because they choose to do things differently.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Both my Shoulders Dan are Tight as a Drum from unloading, I estimate over 300 52 Foot Walmart Containers In Receiving.  I have to Stretch everyday. That is why for me-- if, I was to start something new- it would be the CrossBow.

Yeah, and you,re just a YOUNG pup, Bill.....Hehehehe...

• Like 2

I've hunted on and off with a bow over the years but could never get into it or ever saw the fascination others see in it. Way too many bits, pieces and parts to bows for my liking and all way overpriced.  I'll let you guys slug it out over crossbows.  Give me a decent rifle and a box of ammo and I'm good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

What do you chalk your 50/50 recovery rate up to? No practice? Bad practice? Poor equipment? Poor knowledge of archery? Lousy shot? Poor angles?

Mostly to shoulder blades and string jump on deer that were put on high alert by catching a glimps of a draw.

That ain't needed with a crossbow, hence my100 percent recovery rate with that.

• Like 1