NYS Crossbow hunting & season wrong from day one

bbG

2 hours ago, rob-c said:

Yes it’s Corning. They shut down the 3-d and indoor archery last year, they say they have their own corses open but last year my son and I tried to shoot one and the trails were not maintained and the targets were very worn out  They were the only club around that had archery. Spent a lot of time there over the years shooting  the Pen - York  3 d  events . They did add a pistol range off the rifle range a few years ago so that was a nice addition. Sad really, I know some were not happy but apparently the newer president and a lot of the board members are gun only and want to keep it that way. 

Things have changed for sure..A couple of the  avid active members used to be bowhunting safety instructors, but that was 20+ years ago...  They may be dead  by now for all I know...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I respectfully disagree. The guys I know that kill big bucks every year, tend to get it done in the first couple weeks of bow season. Even a lot of the pro hunters would agree that the first few weeks of the season offer the most consistent buck movement out of beds. These are all public land bucks too. I was too young to remember the opener being on a monday, but in 09 it was on saturday already. I think it was a good thing to move it to saturday personally.

oh big bucks can and will be killed in early October. Generally speaking though I would prefer that last weekend of archery to the 2 weeks of October. I've killed some decent bucks early and I generally will sit 2 to 3 times because I want to be in the woods of course. I do not like having to rush to get them hung and cooled though. A good cold November hang puts a smile on my face :)

I think a lot of it is also an uneducated deer. It would be interesting to know or see a study on those guys who kill in the first week or 2 if they had the same results starting on 10/16. Know what I mean?

Edited by Belo

16 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Things have changed for sure..A couple of the  avid active members used to be bowhunting safety instructors, but that was 20+ years ago...  They may be dead  by now for all I know...

I am still active as a NYS Bowhunting Instructor. As well as our sportsmans club archery chairman. I hope to never appear to be a bowhunting snob. In fact I encourage all to hunt with whatever you like, as long as it's legal. I do hope though, that at some point, it will be mandatory to have to have the Bowhunter certification to hunt with crossbow. As an arrow, and black powder bullet, kill in different ways.

IMO....This crossbow debate is pointless. It is already legal to hunt with one. What's the big deal??? Who really cares what hunting implement is easier to hunt with??? Or when you hunt with it?? Not me.

Hunt with what you like. 

Let others do the same. 

It's all still just hunting.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Yep ,  Fred chandelier had been there forever  , he actually gave myself wife and my 2 sons our archery course’s . A great guy,  he ran all the leagues, set up the 3-d courses etc . The backhanded way the new president ran him out really soured the long time archery members and they left the club. 

Edited by rob-c

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

oh big bucks can and will be killed in early October. Generally speaking though I would prefer that last weekend of archery to the 2 weeks of October. I've killed some decent bucks early and I generally will sit 2 to 3 times because I want to be in the woods of course.

I think a lot of it is also an uneducated deer. It would be interesting to know or see a study on those guys who kill in the first week or 2 if they had the same results starting on 10/16. Know what I mean?

I say why not have a longer season? In my expereince deer will move in heat early in the year, because that is what they're used to. Part of it is uneducated deer, but they say thats when the bucks move with the most consistency from bed to feeding. Starting the pre-rut they act more irradically and the rut is the worst time for targetting a specific buck. Its great for seeing numbers of bucks and getting lucky, but its hard to nail down a pattern on a specific buck during that time. Thats what they say at least. Hard for me to argue with them since they shoot mature bucks every year and most are tagged out with 2 bucks before the pre rut (in Long Island). I say lets have the longest amount of time to hunt 

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The Monday opener was the good old days of deer camps, now its destroyed under the guise of bringing more hunters to the sport. That certainly failed

Failed?!

My camp has grown and those of us who remember love the new Saturday opening and the extra weekend it brings. 

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The Monday opener was the good old days of deer camps, now its destroyed under the guise of bringing more hunters to the sport. That certainly failed

i actually liked the weekend opener much better - really wished we had it back when we had our deer/fishing camp.  Most of us were chomping at the bit to get hunting and had to wait til Monday and usually not everyone could get the day off.  Drinking and playing cards was fun but could still do that after hunting for the day.  Esp having Fri, Sat and Sun night to wait.  By then we just wanted to get out hunting. and then we got one day and had to go back to work. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

oh big bucks can and will be killed in early October. Generally speaking though I would prefer that last weekend of archery to the 2 weeks of October. I've killed some decent bucks early and I generally will sit 2 to 3 times because I want to be in the woods of course. I do not like having to rush to get them hung and cooled though. A good cold November hang puts a smile on my face :)

my experience is that the big bucks are easier to pattern in the first half of October, especially if you are lucky enough to be hunting on food sources.  Once they start looking for a date she'll determine where he goes and ends up. But boy I sure enjoy when the boys are on there feet and can show up at any time. As much as I enjoy this I hate sweating and swatting bugs as much...lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

my experience is that the big bucks are easier to pattern in the first half of October, especially if you are lucky enough to be hunting on food sources.  Once they start looking for a date she'll determine where he goes and ends up. But boy I sure enjoy when the boys are on there feet and can show up at any time. As much as I enjoy this I hate sweating and swatting bugs as much...lol

I always found they are easier to pattern too but they dont come out to eat til dark it seems.  Once they are looking for a date it can be anytime and easier to pattern to sit on trails/areas the doe are using.  All I get early season is buck pics at night.  It isnt until later in season i get daylight pics.  I also hunt a lot of field edges which is what i have access to so maybe that is why. It seems like all i see are a few does that come out right at last light, never see any good bucks in the daylight early season. Maybe its cause i am sweating in my tree stand. lol 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

Yep ,  Fred chandelier had been there forever  , he actually gave myself wife and my 2 sons our archery course’s . A great guy,  he ran all the leagues, set up the 3-d courses etc . The backhanded way the new president ran him out really soured the long time archery members and they left the club. 

I took my course from Fred....Alan Johnson was another one...He and I attended high school together...I know AL is still alive, but he has been having health problems.

• Like 1

I say why not have a longer season? In my expereince deer will move in heat early in the year, because that is what they're used to. Part of it is uneducated deer, but they say thats when the bucks move with the most consistency from bed to feeding. Starting the pre-rut they act more irradically and the rut is the worst time for targetting a specific buck. Its great for seeing numbers of bucks and getting lucky, but its hard to nail down a pattern on a specific buck during that time. Thats what they say at least. Hard for me to argue with them since they shoot mature bucks every year and most are tagged out with 2 bucks before the pre rut (in Long Island). I say lets have the longest amount of time to hunt 

I agree. My best buck pics are early & mid September eating acorns like clockwork. I’d love a 9/15 opener. Change the end date in 3S from 12/31 to 12/15 and I wouldn’t care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I would love to see the monday opening day reinstated as would many of the small businesses and restaurants in town.  Made a good weekend of visiting and  camp prep.  Honestly people took off all opening week when it was a monday.. now it's truly a weekend warrior sport..

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Belo said:

Well my experience here is bucks are still in bachelor groups the 1st week or so and for the guy that got big bucks all summer it's his chance to capitalize on his photo scouting.  By 10/15 bucks are spread out in different ranges. 

Have friend in ohio who just started hunting and was gonna take off till end of oct as he was told bucks dont move well till it cold ,told him to go out ( was oct 2nd ) he was hunting in ohio and my opening was still oct 15.  We got off train I went to hotel and he decided to go out after I rode him for not for 180 miles from buffalo to Cleveland,  my phone rang an hour later as he shot a big 10pt that came in with 4 other bucks.. 

I'll take the early date . Though I do miss the monday gun opener 

I would love to see the monday opening day reinstated as would many of the small businesses and restaurants in town.  Made a good weekend of visiting and  camp prep.  Honestly people took off all opening week when it was a monday.. now it's truly a weekend warrior sport..

You and I are alone
With this opinion but I 100% agree

• Like 2

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

Back when I was low man on the totem pole I couldn't get opening week off so the first weekend was my only choice ! And god forbid opening week coincided with Thanksgiving Week , which it does every now and then ! With a Saturday opener its become a 4 weekend hunting season !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You and I are alone

Not alone, I kind of miss it too. When the opener was on a Monday, we used to go to camp Friday night after work, and have Sat/Sun to goof off, visit the neighboring camps, talk endlessly about where everyone would go on Monday morning. I've grown to like the Saturday opener but miss the traditions we had going. Now most folks folks get to camp in a rush for Saturday morning. We usually don't visit with anyone until later in the week and then it's squeezed in around lunch.

• Like 3

It has been more than 30 years since I was at a camp for the opener but i still remember my last time when I pissed some of the older guys off. That is part of the reason I have hunted from home on every gun opener since.

A couple of my buddies and I walked back to our stands on Sunday afternoon to make sure they were ok.  I took my dad's Browning sweet 16, loaded with 7.5s in case any grouse were 2 show up

Two shots rang out over the hills. My buddies asked if that was me and I held up the two grouse that i had killed.  That was my only hunt with that gun.  I was not used to it and it took me a while to get on the birds.  I got on both of them just before they dissapeared.  

We cooked them up back at camp and they were delicious.  A couple of the old guys were too pissed off from the disturbance to try any.

That happened In the southern tier town of Centrville in 1988.  I don't remember what if any deer got killed at camp the next day.  Maybe they were right to be pissed. 

I took what remains my largest antleted buck back at home that Thursday morning.  The camp owner lives just down the road from our place.  I stopped by with the big Buck in the back of my truck, just as they returned from camp on Thanksgiving afternoon, to use their scale.  That 3.5 year old 9 pointer weighed 178 pounds.

Edited by wolc123

11 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You and I are alone

4 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I like the Saturday opener because it saves me a vacation day.

I'm ok with either really. They both have their pros and cons. My main point in bringing it up was simply that in 2020, both archers and crossbowman lose a weekend to the orange army :)

• Like 1