NYS Crossbow hunting & season wrong from day one

bbG

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It has been more than 30 years since I was at a camp for the opener but i still remember my last time when I pissed some of the older guys off. That is part of the reason I have hunted from home on every gun opener since.

A couple of my buddies and I walked back to our stands on Sunday afternoon to make sure they were ok.  I took my dad's Browning sweet 16, loaded with 7.5s in case any grouse were 2 show up

Two shots rang out over the hills. My buddies asked if that was me and I held up the two grouse that i had killed.  That was my only hunt with that gun.  I was not used to it and it took me a while to get on the birds.  I got on both of them just before they dissapeared.  

We cooked them up back at camp and they were delicious.  A couple of the old guys were too pissed off from the disturbance to try any.

That happened In the southern tier town of Centrville in 1988.  I don't remember what if any deer got killed at camp the next day.  Maybe they were right to be pissed. 

I took what remains my largest antleted buck back at home that Thursday morning.  The camp owner lives just down the road from our place.  I stopped by with the big Buck in the back of my truck, just as they returned from camp on Thanksgiving afternoon, to use their scale.  That 3.5 year old 9 pointer weighed 178 pounds.

I still shoot grouse while hunting deer, have to head shoot with rifle though. Not to concerned about scaring deer seem to do well on them regardless 

15 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You and I are alone
With this opinion but I 100% agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I loved the Monday gun opener as a kid, my parents let me skip school every year that day to hunt with Dad. 

• Like 2

A crossbow is another tool for a hunter to harvest a meal, it doesn't matter to me,ive never shot a bow or crossbow and if I could be in the woods earlier and use a crossbow I would buy. If the state wants to include crossbows with the archery season i'm for it I'm waiting for Long Island to let us use a crossbow

• Like 2

On 7/9/2020 at 12:34 PM, G-Man said:

I still shoot grouse while hunting deer, have to head shoot with rifle though. Not to concerned about scaring deer seem to do well on them regardless 

I learned that lesson the hard way a few years ago when I center punched one with a 150 gr Federal classic 30/06.  That bird literally exploded.   I was able to salvage enough breast to cook it over the campfire like a marshmellow.   

On 7/9/2020 at 10:51 AM, Belo said:

you used a scale!? ^_^

That was one of two that I put on a scale.  The last one was 30 years later.  Using that more recent number, I was able to come up with a correction factor for the PA chest girth chart.   Having that info, there is no longer a good reason for me to put one a scale. Weighing that deer did silence most of the chest-girth nay-sayers on this site anyhow. 

It is a lot easier for me to get a tape measurement than a weight.   Volume, not weight, is the important thing to me.  The bulk of the deer measured weight is water, which has zero nutritional value.   Deer weight is very dependent on how long after the kill the weighing takes place.  I know how many quart-sized freezer packages of boneless meat are required to feed my family for a year, and the chest girth measurement allows for a more direct and accurate estimate of volume.  

• Haha 1

That was one of two that I put on a scale.  The last one was 30 years later.  Using that more recent number, I was able to come up with a correction factor for the PA chest girth chart.   Having that info, there is no longer a good reason for me to put one a scale. Weighing that deer did silence most of the chest-girth nay-sayers on this site anyhow. 
It is a lot easier for me to get a tape measurement than a weight.   Volume, not weight, is the important thing to me.  The bulk of the deer measured weight is water, which has zero nutritional value.   Deer weight is very dependent on how long after the kill the weighing takes place.  I know how many quart-sized freezer packages of boneless meat are required to feed my family for a year, and the chest girth measurement allows for a more direct and accurate estimate of volume.  
Not to keep this alive but.... How do you estimate how many quart sized bags of meat you'll get from measuring a deers neck? And how much volume it leads to vs weight??

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Not to keep this alive but.... How do you estimate how many quart sized bags of meat you'll get from measuring a deers neck? And how much volume it leads to vs weight??

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

No idea, I have never measured a deer neck.