NYS Crossbow hunting & season wrong from day one

bbG

18 hours ago, rob-c said:

I have never shot a X bow , but have held one and the awkwardness turned me right off. But I can say I have nothing  against them . So  what you just typed and what I have heard from fellow coworkers Is it’s so awkward that it’s just easier to use a rest. And I speculate most do , so they are a easier weapon to kill a deer with.

Several coworkers have said when they went from vertical to a X bow it got way easier to harvest a deer. I’m not picking on you, I’m just using your honest opinion to help me prove to some on this  sight that a  X bow is easier to harvest a deer with over a compound and a compound is easier than a stick bow . And I’m sorry but unless one just has raw natural talent a person is not going to be shooting all their arrows in the 12 ring after a hour of shooting a vertical bow  . Again if it’s legal and one wants to use it have at it, hell I get grief from  co worker rifle hunters cause I use my handgun . 

but do you NEED to be able to put all your arrows in a 12 ring to ethically harvest a deer?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I have no doubt he will be “pie plate” ready quickly, I get that. But bow hunting rarely gives you that easy broadside clear chipshot. You’ve hunted a lot more than I have so you know what I mean. Last year I got an arrow through a small hole in a tangle of brambles at 23 yards from a stand, I’m not Levy Morgan but a person with a few hours on a bow doesn’t make that shot IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

whether we are talking about a stick bow, compound, x bow, ML or firearms, people need to know their limitations and the limitations of their equipment. That is a large part of taking an ethical shot. You were confident you could take that shot and make it and you did.  I've only shot about 4 deer outside of 20 yards with an arrow. Waiting for the right shot isn't the worst thing in the world. And let's be honest. We've all seen the stories on here and other sites of folks that are "experienced" bow hunters. Every year there are shots that probably shouldn't have been taken. 

I'll be seeing him tonight and I'll check if he still wants in. I think it would be neat to chronicle. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Honestly- Bowhunters in the " Southren Zone" got what they wanted around 2015 with an ( Extra 2 Weeks) of Bowhunting thus pushing back the Bowhunting New Early opener to October 1st. 

Around the very same time period- the Fall Turkey Season ( Lost a Full Month) in DEC ZONES 3+4.  In addition- the ( New Opening Day) for Fall Turkey was pushed back  from October 1st to October 19th- ( 2019). 

A New and much later Fall Turkey Opening Date in the Southren Zone. 2 1/2 Weeks later to be more precise. Obviously this is connected and was done to keep the Fall Turkey Hunters out of the Hardwoods so the Bowhunters could Enjoy their New Early Bowhunting Opening Day on October 1st without " interference" from Fall Turkey Hunters walking around and Calling in the ( same Hardwoods).

Look-- if the DEC wants to retain older hunters and recruit many New Hunters - ( and more money coming in)- why not perhaps in the next few years or less- move the Southren Zone Crossbow opening date from November 2nd- ( 2019) to October 1st. 

Now, I have been in 4 Gun Clubs and have been present at countless Gun Club Meetings.  What Dan says about ( some) of these Bowhunters being Snobs is True. -- What the Bowhunters want-- they usually get-- as in a Whopping 2 Extra Weeks of Hunting and starting out 2 Weeks earlier!

I am busy today and, I might grab some Popcorn like Mowin  when the angry  Quotes come in . Bowing off the Dojo Floor.

The bow hunters were given 2 extra weeks to allow xbow to be added as well as youth gun season Columbus day weekend.  They got want they wanted and gave up a lot. ,

Fact is dec should have say in what implements and when they will be used, unfortunately nys has all its seasons tied up politically..

26 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

but do you NEED to be able to put all your arrows in a 12 ring to ethically harvest a deer?

No, I was commenting on what another had posted about how a person should be putting all their arrows in the 12 ring after a few hours of practice. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Honestly- Bowhunters in the " Southren Zone" got what they wanted around 2015 with an ( Extra 2 Weeks) of Bowhunting thus pushing back the Bowhunting New Early opener to October 1st. 

Around the very same time period- the Fall Turkey Season ( Lost a Full Month) in DEC ZONES 3+4.  In addition- the ( New Opening Day) for Fall Turkey was pushed back  from October 1st to October 19th- ( 2019). 

A New and much later Fall Turkey Opening Date in the Southren Zone. 2 1/2 Weeks later to be more precise. Obviously this is connected and was done to keep the Fall Turkey Hunters out of the Hardwoods so the Bowhunters could Enjoy their New Early Bowhunting Opening Day on October 1st without " interference" from Fall Turkey Hunters walking around and Calling in the ( same Hardwoods).

Look-- if the DEC wants to retain older hunters and recruit many New Hunters - ( and more money coming in)- why not perhaps in the next few years or less- move the Southren Zone Crossbow opening date from November 2nd- ( 2019) to October 1st. 

Now, I have been in 4 Gun Clubs and have been present at countless Gun Club Meetings.  What Dan says about ( some) of these Bowhunters being Snobs is True. -- What the Bowhunters want-- they usually get-- as in a Whopping 2 Extra Weeks of Hunting and starting out 2 Weeks earlier!

I am busy today and, I might grab some Popcorn like Mowin  when the angry  Quotes come in . Bowing off the Dojo Floor.

It’s funny you talked about archery snobs in your gun club. In mine I belong to its run now by gun snobs, they forced out all the archery and shut down the indoor range. It’s a shame as I liked this club because I do everything archery, rifle and  pistol and spent a lot of time doing all my shooting   discipline’s there . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Hopefully belo will chime back in and give us his take on the topic he started.

I told y'all I'd see you in the fall as this place can get pretty toxic sometimes, but someone tipped me off to this so I figure I'll defend myself. 

As stated a billion times by me, I'm not a fan of crossbows for those who are not disabled or elderly. Mostly because I believe archery is meant to be a challenge and isn't supposed to be easy. Bill is a case study on this. Doesn't and wont hunt unless you make it easy enough for him. Do crossbows affect where I hunt? No. But man if I was hunting public land it'd bum me out to see that added pressure from guys who may not take the same precautions with scent and reducing their impact. Or maybe public land hunters can use that in their favor? idk.

At the end of the day, and if it was my vote I'd leave the current season just the way it is. I wouldn't even repeal it. But I wouldn't ever vote full inclusion. Instead I'd push for an age and disability program, even if the later was easy to abuse. If you're not disabled and have the time and energy to make an appointment, pay your copay and convince a doctor that you need his signature... well Joe Biden has a campaign for you!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

that's not true at all. And the fact that you, a non deer hunter or archer feel informed enough to speak on it is laughable. The 2 extra weeks were concessions for the youth season AND, and I will emphasize AND, because we lost the last weekend of the season. 

Remember, the gun opener was always on a Monday. As many of the vets on this board will confirm, the last weekend before that Monday is always in and around the rut and one of the best weekends to fill an unpunched tag. I can promise you, not many here spend a lot of times in the woods sweating, stinking up good stands and swatting mosquitoes the first 2 weeks of October. There is little movement for those that don't have them patterned them over a plot.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, rob-c said:

It’s funny you talked about archery snobs in your gun club. In mine I belong to its run now by gun snobs, they forced out all the archery and shut down the indoor range. It’s a shame as I liked this club because I do everything archery, rifle and  pistol and spent a lot of time doing all my shooting   discipline’s there . 

Which one is that, Rob  ?? Painted Post ?  Last I knew Corning was very much into bowhunting, but it's been years since I was there..They had a 3 D course at one time..

Too bad...A sportsman's club should cater to all shooting disciplines...

Our club here in Dogpatch has always been basically a skeet and trap club, although we do have an informal rifle range and pistol shooting butt..

43 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Which one is that, Rob  ?? Painted Post ?  Last I knew Corning was very much into bowhunting, but it's been years since I was there..They had a 3 D course at one time..

Too bad...A sportsman's club should cater to all shooting disciplines...

Our club here in Dogpatch has always been basically a skeet and trap club, although we do have an informal rifle range and pistol shooting butt..

Yes it’s Corning. They shut down the 3-d and indoor archery last year, they say they have their own corses open but last year my son and I tried to shoot one and the trails were not maintained and the targets were very worn out  They were the only club around that had archery. Spent a lot of time there over the years shooting  the Pen - York  3 d  events . They did add a pistol range off the rifle range a few years ago so that was a nice addition. Sad really, I know some were not happy but apparently the newer president and a lot of the board members are gun only and want to keep it that way. 

Edited by rob-c

The bow hunters were given 2 extra weeks to allow xbow to be added as well as youth gun season Columbus day weekend.  They got want they wanted and gave up a lot. ,
Fact is dec should have say in what implements and when they will be used, unfortunately nys has all its seasons tied up politically..

That was the very last thing I wanted.

that's not true at all. And the fact that you, a non deer hunter or archer feel informed enough to speak on it is laughable. The 2 extra weeks were concessions for the youth season AND, and I will emphasize AND, because we lost the last weekend of the season. 
Remember, the gun opener was always on a Monday. As many of the vets on this board will confirm, the last weekend before that Monday is always in and around the rut and one of the best weekends to fill an unpunched tag. I can promise you, not many here spend a lot of times in the woods sweating, stinking up good stands and swatting mosquitoes the first 2 weeks of October. There is little movement for those that don't have them patterned them over a plot.

Exactly how I feel about that crappy two weeks they blessed us with. And the Monday opener was wonderful.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Belo said:

I respectfully disagree. The guys I know that kill big bucks every year, tend to get it done in the first couple weeks of bow season. Even a lot of the pro hunters would agree that the first few weeks of the season offer the most consistent buck movement out of beds. These are all public land bucks too. I was too young to remember the opener being on a monday, but in 09 it was on saturday already. I think it was a good thing to move it to saturday personally.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I respectfully disagree. The guys I know that kill big bucks every year, tend to get it done in the first couple weeks of bow season. Even a lot of the pro hunters would agree that the first few weeks of the season offer the most consistent buck movement out of beds. These are all public land bucks too. I was too young to remember the opener being on a monday, but in 09 it was on saturday already. I think it was a good thing to move it to saturday personally.

The Monday opener was the good old days of deer camps, now its destroyed under the guise of bringing more hunters to the sport. That certainly failed

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Same shit different day around here I see.

I'm going to petition that the only hunting implement allowed at all any more is a blow gun.

There, you want a challenge, you have one. Just don't inhale.

Blow gun a challenge ? With some around here with the amount of hot air coming out of them , no challenge :mosking: ..

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Blow gun a challenge ? With some around here with the amount of hot air coming out of them , no challenge :mosking: ..

I've been known to spout off like a volcano. Then I learned to shut up and scroll on by over the past year or so.

As for this "debate" with crossbows? I gave up on that as well. Life's too damn short to spend the day arguing about it seeing I do not have a dog in the fight. Actually, even if I did have a mutt to put up, I still don't have time to piss in the wind and wonder why my shoes are wet.

• Confused 1