Small Kill Plot Advice

Found, and brush hogged, a really nice little kill plot spot.  It's tucked behind a bunch of pines and brush on a major travel route between 2 bigger plots.  Those 2 plots have oats/clover and turnips.  This kill plot is next to a bunch of apple trees and hardwoods.  Probably 30x40 feet in size?  Thoughts on what to plant?  I can get the disc back in there so all options would be in the table.

28 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Found, and brush hogged, a really nice little kill plot spot.  It's tucked behind a bunch of pines and brush on a major travel route between 2 bigger plots.  Those 2 plots have oats/clover and turnips.  This kill plot is next to a bunch of apple trees and hardwoods.  Probably 30x40 feet in size?  Thoughts on what to plant?  I can get the disc back in there so all options would be in the table.

Radish, winter pea, winter rye mix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Radish, winter pea, winter rye mix

It's in a relatively shady, but not awful, spot, does that change it all?  Assuming the soil is very close to the other sample I took 200 yards away, let's assume it's got about 6 ph and is low on phosphorous.  Hit it with 10/20/20 like the other spot?  I'll get a picture of the spot but it cleaned up really nice.

2 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

It's in a relatively shady, but not awful, spot, does that change it all?  Assuming the soil is very close to the other sample I took 200 yards away, let's assume it's got about 6 ph and is low on phosphorous.  Hit it with 10/20/20 like the other spot?  I'll get a picture of the spot but it cleaned up really nice.

The soil can be very different in a single field,let alone 200 yards.  , the radish and winter rye will take some  pressure in a small plot and pea will draw them in.   

You stated it was to be a kill plot. If you simply wanted to make deer pause. Clover by far is best bet.  But surrounded by agriculture you need to present ice cream foods if you want to bring.them in for a shot. Planting the same as a farmer is nearly impossible to compete with their rates of fertilizer and growth almost of us do not have equipment to do no till high liquid fertilizer planting. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The soil can be very different in a single field,let alone 200 yards.  , the radish and winter rye will take some  pressure in a small plot and pea will draw them in.   

You stated it was to be a kill plot. If you simply wanted to make deer pause. Clover by far is best bet.  But surrounded by agriculture you need to present ice cream foods if you want to bring.them in for a shot. Planting the same as a farmer is nearly impossible to compete with their rates of fertilizer and growth almost of us do not have equipment to do no till high liquid fertilizer planting. 

Thankfully I'm the only one "farming" for about 2 miles in every direction.  But you're 100% spot on about making them pause.  Thanks man!

I like that hemp rope idea, never seen that before.  I ordered radishes and winter peas, going to disk it and fertilize next weekend, then plant August 1st.  Between the dozen apple trees close by and the plot tucked way in the back surrounded by thick crud, let's hope it's a good October stand.  Cleared out around the big Ash I'm going to throw the ladder in while I was thinning the canopy for the apples close by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I like that hemp rope idea, never seen that before.  I ordered radishes and winter peas, going to disk it and fertilize next weekend, then plant August 1st.  Between the dozen apple trees close by and the plot tucked way in the back surrounded by thick crud, let's hope it's a good October stand.  Cleared out around the big Ash I'm going to throw the ladder in while I was thinning the canopy for the apples close by.

Careful with the ash tree, they are all dying. GoodLuck

• Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 8:39 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

If your looking to make this plot orefferred in October.. I would add some Rye, wheat or oats around the first of September. Or mix in an annual clover with your Augist 1st planting. Just to add to the buffet. Small early season kill plots are usually best with legumes like green soybeans, clovers or grains.. In my experience anyways. Just trying to make the best out of what your desired goal is here.. Here to help you if you ever need. Best of luck and keep us up to date!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

If your looking to make this plot orefferred in October.. I would add some Rye, wheat or oats around the first of September. Or mix in an annual clover with your Augist 1st planting. Just to add to the buffet. Small early season kill plots are usually best with legumes like green soybeans, clovers or grains.. In my experience anyways. Just trying to make the best out of what your desired goal is here.. Here to help you if you ever need. Best of luck and keep us up to date!  

Yeah I was thinking I'd stop at the local seed store and throw some Rye in too, thanks man!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fertilized and disced the 30x60 plot today, right before the rain hit.  Looks like a garden bed!  First pic is today, second pic is after the first discing.  I'm pretty pumped about this spot!  

Winter Peas Plus and Ravish Radishes, with some Fall Rye for cover going in first thing Saturday morning!

IMG_20200729_173807.jpg

IMG_20200711_120354.jpg

• Like 3

If you can put up a small seclusion cage so you can watch browse pressure.. I think you'll be amazed! add a clover if you'd like to make it a clover plot for next year.. highly recommend, then you can terminate that if you want another fall plot

15 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

If you can put up a small seclusion cage so you can watch browse pressure.. I think you'll be amazed! add a clover if you'd like to make it a clover plot for next year.. highly recommend, then you can terminate that if you want another fall plot

Yeah thanks for the reminder, have to whip one up before Saturday to throw in there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Cultipacker is the next thing.  5 or 6 footer for the quad would be ideal, that way next year I can do some plantings on the logging trails after they log my hillside this year.

I would like a 3 to 4 footer, behind a quad, because it fits thru trails and transports easier.  Also, the narrower ones traverse changing contours better resulting in better compactions over the uneven spots like furrows and ditches.  

I use a 7 footer on my tractor now (cut down from 8 ft because of two broken wheels). It seems to work better for that same reason, after the slight "narrowing".  Coincidentally, I recently found anther "two-busted-wheel" 8 foot, single-roller cultipacker at a neighbors. I will be reworking that one this winter for tractor use at my folks place.  I paid $ 40 for that one (she was asking $ 50).   With steel scrap prices so low now, you can score some good deals. 

She also has an 8 foot double-roller Brillion cultipacker over there, that is in rougher shape, with more broken wheels.  If it is still out there in another week or so, I will see if she will take $ 20 for it and try and make a couple 3 to 4 foot single-roller, ATV models out of it.  Making new wood bearings for them, and welding up the frames is a great winter project.  My dad and father in law both have ATV's at their places, that I could use them on.    

been doing plots for few yrs now used a roller once i see no diffrence when i dont use one just plant before rain....i do drag my oats after planting i just use an old pallet..... just got all my plots turned over ready to plant next week

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Save your coin and just get a big lawn roller. the difference is minimal, I think a lawn roller works better anyways. 

X2.  I bought a poly lawn roller from Home Depot.  It won't rust and will last a very long time.  It weighs 250ish pounds when filled with water and when it's empty I can toss it in the back of the pickup.  I feel like it was a good use of $125.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

X2.  I bought a poly lawn roller from Home Depot.  It won't rust and will last a very long time.  It weighs 250ish pounds when filled with water and when it's empty I can toss it in the back of the pickup.  I feel like it was a good use of $125.

Agreed, I have a poly thats 250 or 300# id love a bigger steel version, but i have no complaints with this. Id actually like to find another poly roller, and turn it into a crimper. We lease land that is certified organic and they farm everything around us... i think the farmers would appreciate this lol. as much as i would