Small Kill Plot Advice

22 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Save your coin and just get a big lawn roller. the difference is minimal, I think a lawn roller works better anyways. 

Follow up question :  How do you fill it up in the field?  Or do you fill it up someplace nearby?  will a poly one hold up to going over rocks well?  I imagine only need about 100 lbs of water in one to do a good job rolling some seed in, right?

It holds up to rocks no problem just dont go fast over them. I fill mine up and leave it be, empty it on occasion so it doesn't evaporate and suck the walls in over time. more weight the better, since most food plot fields are from from level and even. this leaves some seeds or many seeds untouched by the roller. That's the reasoning i recommend rolling twice in 2 dif directions .. seeds un rolled rely more on mother natures rains.. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Agreed, I have a poly thats 250 or 300# id love a bigger steel version, but i have no complaints with this. Id actually like to find another poly roller, and turn it into a crimper. We lease land that is certified organic and they farm everything around us... i think the farmers would appreciate this lol. as much as i would 

I'm very interested in a crimper.  The prices are outrageous and I'm not handy enough to build one.  I have been reclaiming an acre of old pasture.  It's 30 year old sod with clay underneath.  Once I am finished tilling it I would love to switch to no till and broadcast everything.  I may have to study up more on homemade crimpers this winter when I have more time.

8 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Follow up question :  How do you fill it up in the field?  Or do you fill it up someplace nearby?  will a poly one hold up to going over rocks well?  I imagine only need about 100 lbs of water in one to do a good job rolling some seed in, right?

Same.  I fill mine at the house and bring it to the plot in the bucket of my tractor, then pull it with the 4 wheeler.  I just make sure it's empty before freezing weather arrives.  

I haven't had any issues with rocks.  Just keep it under 100 (mph).  

I just looked it up and mine will supposedly hold over 300lbs of water.  I fill mine 3/4 full and can move it around by hand.  $179 at Home Depot.  I got mine on sale for less than that.  

I just planted my brassicas today. Killed off all the weeds prior. Only thing left on the trails were dead leaves. I didn't have a rake or anything so I planted anyways. I'm hoping it germinates. Figured if it don't in 2 weeks I'll go up with a leaf blower and get to the dirt. Trying to do the no till route

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 2:41 PM, land 1 said:

been doing plots for few yrs now used a roller once i see no diffrence when i dont use one just plant before rain....i do drag my oats after planting i just use an old pallet..... just got all my plots turned over ready to plant next week

Rain works, but it isn't always consistent.  There is a reason farmers everywhere use cultipackers.  Many seeders have cultipacker wheels built into them for a reason.  Seed to soil contact is a pretty big deal IMO.

Rolling works best for all seeds but especially small seeds.. if planted to deeo they wont make it out of the soil.. IF your disking and spreading small seeds, I have best results, rolling after the disk, spreading seed (and fert if using it) then rolling it again, heavy rains can do a lot of damage to seeds and soil that is unprotected.. can also bury small seed to deep in loose soil 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Coming on strong!

IMG_20200812_173428.jpg

Hope it lasts for you,plot that small can be wiped out in few days . Perhaps think of a plot saver tape for a month or so to get you to season. Better safe than sorry ,I've seen it happen here 

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Hope it lasts for you,plot that small can be wiped out in few days . Perhaps think of a plot saver tape for a month or so to get you to season. Better safe than sorry ,I've seen it happen here 

Solid advice, as always, G-Man.  I might just do that.  Only saving grace might be that the deer around here have never seen this stuff before? The hammered the rye I planted pretty hard last year in september, and there's some fall rye mixed in with this.  They probably won't touch the half acre of turnips thats ~100 yards away until it gets a frost.  I did plant another acre or so of fall rye about 60 yards away from this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...