Anyone use a 6.8spc for deer?

chrisw

I decided that I needed a designated deer AR-15. I used a 223 once and killed a big doe but wasn't happy with the results. I wanted to stick with an AR-15 due to the short/light configuration. After a bit of research I decided on the 6.8SPC. Finally got her all assembled except for the Rise Armament 3lb trigger which should show up tomorrow. Haven't put any rounds through it yet, but pretty happy with the fit/feel so far. It's NY compliant, I used a Mean Ma maglock. Hopefully it works well on deer, on paper it looks good! IMG_20200707_093620622.jpgIMG_20200707_093610294.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Very useful package there. What load are you considering for deer?
I'm going to see how the Hornady 120's group and go from there. I've got a few boxes of Federal 115 fusions to zero the scope with.

• Like 1

It would certainly work for deer out to 300 yards or so, as would 4 or 5 dozen other chamberings, some depending on what platform of rifle you prefer to hunt with....I personally prefer classic  wood/blued bolt actions., but I hold no prejudice  toward  AR types. levers, single shot or whatever...Whatever floats your boat is fine with me, as long as you can deliver a killing shot within  the ranges you desire to shoot...

• Like 2

Update, just installed a Rise Armament Rave 140 3lb flat trigger. Best $100 I've ever spent, came with anti walk pins which is impressive for the price! Anyone looking to upgrade from a standard mil spec trigger should buy one of these!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 8:36 PM, chrisw said:

I'm going to see how the Hornady 120's group and go from there. I've got a few boxes of Federal 115 fusions to zero the scope with.

Have you had a chance to shoot either of these loads yet? 

Have you had a chance to shoot either of these loads yet? 
Unfortunately no not yet, it's all ready to go, just haven't had the opportunity yet and when I do it's 90° so I've been waiting. It's very possible I will in the next few days, I need to at least make sure it functions as it should.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Unfortunately no not yet, it's all ready to go, just haven't had the opportunity yet and when I do it's 90° so I've been waiting. It's very possible I will in the next few days, I need to at least make sure it functions as it should.

Keep us posted. I’m curious as to how yours shoots. I’m anxiously waiting for my upper to show up later this week. So far I’ve acquired some Hornady 120’s, Nosler 115, and even some 90 grain gold dots. From what I hear the gold dots are identical to the fusions in 90 grain. 

• Like 1

Keep us posted. I’m curious as to how yours shoots. I’m anxiously waiting for my upper to show up later this week. So far I’ve acquired some Hornady 120’s, Nosler 115, and even some 90 grain gold dots. From what I hear the gold dots are identical to the fusions in 90 grain. 
I've only found the Federal 115's locally so I've got a few boxes of that. I'll probably need to order some Hornady online unless mine really likes the fusions.

• Like 1

07B74D80-05ED-488F-AF01-D9AD736602E3.thumb.jpeg.aaa4942f9064ad1b5d916158f93f96a1.jpegI’ve heard that the 90gr are extremely accurate, and lethal too. I happened to find someone local who had a large surplus of gold dots that he was willing to part with for a very good price. I picked up 300 rounds. It was too good to pass up!

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, chrisw said:

I decided that I needed a designated deer AR-15. I used a 223 once and killed a big doe but wasn't happy with the results. I wanted to stick with an AR-15 due to the short/light configuration. After a bit of research I decided on the 6.8SPC. Finally got her all assembled except for the Rise Armament 3lb trigger which should show up tomorrow. Haven't put any rounds through it yet, but pretty happy with the fit/feel so far. It's NY compliant, I used a Mean Ma maglock. Hopefully it works well on deer, on paper it looks good! IMG_20200707_093620622.jpgIMG_20200707_093610294.jpg

Btw, what scope did you go with?

I think I’m going with a Leupold as well. VX Freedom 3x9 AR Fire Dot Tri Mil reticle. I’ve spent all morning looking at different ones that now my head hurts! I really wanted to go with a 1x6 but I really like this reticle over the others. 

• Like 1

Hey Chris, please give an update on your scope when you finally get to shoot your gun. That scope is on my short list, along with 2 others that have CDS but are slightly higher power. I’d rather get the one you have and get it converted to CDS, but their custom shop is in limbo at the time and they can’t give an answer on when or if they can customize that scope at this time. 

• Like 1

Hey Chris, please give an update on your scope when you finally get to shoot your gun. That scope is on my short list, along with 2 others that have CDS but are slightly higher power. I’d rather get the one you have and get it converted to CDS, but their custom shop is in limbo at the time and they can’t give an answer on when or if they can customize that scope at this time. 

I’ve been using 2.5-8X36 vari-x III’s, VXIII’s, VX3’s, and VX3i’s for a long time and they’ve all been great. I’ve only recently started using VX5hd’s when I’m not being as careful on weight. The VX3 line is awesome, rock solid, and lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2