CV 19 testing rules and regulations.

mowin

Not sure if it's county by county or statewide.

My brother hasn't been feeling well past couple days. His doc told him to go to the hospital ASAP.  They think he has covid.  However, the doctor at hospital told him they cannot test him UNLESS he is admitted to the hospital, as they have strict regulations they have to follow, and are constantly checked.  They didn't see the need to admit, so no test. He has to call a number, and drive back into Albany once he gets a appointment time.

So why can anyone go to these drive up testing sites, with ZERO symptoms, and get tested, but someone who goes to the emergency room showing multiple symptoms, but doesn't get admitted, gets sent home with a number to call?  

Again, I can only go by what the hospital told my brother. 

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

go on your county website - most of them have Covid info on testing and where to call for one, or have his primary send him for one. 

Hospital gave him all that info.  

That not what I'm getting at. Hospital couldn't test him, with multiple symptoms, because he wasn't admitted to the hospital. But someone with zero symptoms can drive up to a mobile site and get tested.

Just think it's backasswords.  Someone going to the ER with symptoms should get tested regardless if they get admitted or not. Not send home, then required to drive back to the same hospital the next day after calling a number and getting a test appointment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

Hospital gave him all that info.  

That not what I'm getting at. Hospital couldn't test him, with multiple symptoms, because he wasn't admitted to the hospital. But someone with zero symptoms can drive up to a mobile site and get tested.

Just think it's backasswords.  Someone going to the ER with symptoms should get tested regardless if they get admitted or not. Not send home, then required to drive back to the same hospital the next day after calling a number and getting a test appointment. 

i think its because the hospital doesnt want to get overwhelmed with testing.  If everyone that thought they might have it or want to get tested went to the hospital it would just be a mess.  They are saving staff for treatments etc. Just like bloodwork is done at a seperate testing location.    

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i think its because the hospital doesnt want to get overwhelmed with testing.  If everyone that thought they might have it or want to get tested went to the hospital it would just be a mess.  They are saving staff for treatments etc. Just like bloodwork is done at a seperate testing location.    

Every ER I've been in did their own blood tests and other testing.  Doctor agreed he most likely has covid ( hopefully not), but his hands were tied do to regulations.  Isn't that what a ER is for? His primary doc even called the hospital to let them know he was coming. 

2 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I thought if you displayed more then one symptom your primary doctor gave you a number, that number was needed to go to covid drive up testing . Maybe I'm wrong ?

I simply made an appointment online for drive up testing ,no signs or symptoms, or Dr required .

Just seems odd a person is told by his doctor(phone call) to go to the hospital. Showing multiple symptoms, hospital can't test as he's not bad enough to admit.  It's not like the place was busy, he said he never seen the place that empty.  

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

I agree Mowin if you show up at a hospital with a few signs of Covid you should be admitted to the hospital and tested immediately and not discharged until the results are in.

This is after all a highly communicable virus. 

I can understand not being admitted. Not enough beds to admit everyone that has symptoms. But at least get the person a test while they are there.  Why make them drive home call a number then drive in to the same place the next day to get tested?  Just doesn't make any sense at all.  

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

I agree Mowin if you show up at a hospital with a few signs of Covid you should be admitted to the hospital and tested immediately and not discharged until the results are in.

This is after all a highly communicable virus. 

for that reason.  Its so communicable.  Unless needing immediate medical attention they tell you to go home and quarantine and get tested from your car.  Most people that get it dont need hospital attention and they dont want you there to spread it to staff and others if it isnt a serious case.  Plus you dont get an immediate result you have to wait a few days to get results anyway. So they want you to isolate yourself as best as possible.  

23 minutes ago, mowin said:

I can understand not being admitted. Not enough beds to admit everyone that has symptoms. But at least get the person a test while they are there.  Why make them drive home call a number then drive in to the same place the next day to get tested?  Just doesn't make any sense at all.  

until its on facebook that you can go to the hospital and get tested and then the ER is flooded.  Which is bad for everyone. Now you have possible covid positive people there in the waiting room with the usual mess the ER is - only to get a test and then have to go home and wait for the results anyway.  

2 hours ago, mowin said:

On the 4th we had a nurse here at the house who works in the covid unit for the largest hospital system in this area , they have NOBODY in their unit , so plenty of beds here .

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

until its on facebook that you can go to the hospital and get tested and then the ER is flooded.  Which is bad for everyone. Now you have possible covid positive people there in the waiting room with the usual mess the ER is - only to get a test and then have to go home and wait for the results anyway.  

What the hell does FB have to do with it?  

A person gets told from his GP to go to the hospital ASAP. Hospital sends him home saying there's a good chance you're positive, but we legally can't test you. Go home, make a appointment, and drive back tomorrow, and we'll test you.  

I'm sorry, something very wrong there. 

Edited by mowin

Three weeks ago I took my wife to the emergency room because she was endlessly vomiting her guts out.

They did about every test known to mankind on her. They hooked her up to a saline bag she was so dehydrated and weak.  But they did not do a coronavirus test . Not because they didn't have any tests or their policy to send her somewhere else to be tested . The Doc told me they will not use those tests. They are junk. They dont give correct results. They had the same person come in 6 times for a test. You guessed it . 3 positive and 3 negative all in the same week. This person had no symptoms . Another person came in and was tested 5 times with at least 4 symptoms . That person tested negative 4 out of 5 times . The end result was he had the virus .

He told me they dont bother with the test . At that hospital they initiated its the Doctors call to diagnose if you have Covid or not. This is a big hospital in New Hampshire. Not some little clinic. So I wonder what the difference is in the tests used all around the country.

for that reason.  Its so communicable.  Unless needing immediate medical attention they tell you to go home and quarantine and get tested from your car.  Most people that get it dont need hospital attention and they dont want you there to spread it to staff and others if it isnt a serious case.  Plus you dont get an immediate result you have to wait a few days to get results anyway. So they want you to isolate yourself as best as possible.  

I was being a bit sarcastic

The powers that be want to have it both ways and be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mowin said:

What the hell does FB have to do with it?  

A person gets told from his GP to go to the hospital ASAP. Hospital sends him home saying there's a good chance you're positive, but we legally can't test you. Go home, make a appointment, and drive back tomorrow, and we'll test you.  

I'm sorry, something very wrong there. 

just saying dunno why they would send a person to ER to be tested unless they have issues to be admitted.  Everywhere else sends to a testing facility.  If they send everyone to ER for a test thats not what the ER is set up for.  If everyone went to the ER it would be crazier than it usually is.  Generally the ER around here is a 6 hour wait. Esp when you dont get a direct result and have to wait a few days to find out. I can cert understand the frustration of being sent there and no result though. 

I personally have now been tested 3 times, the first one in March due to a possible exposure. Negative no symptoms.

The 2nd time 2 weeks ago I was feeling kind of crappy and canceled a fishing trip. My wife insisted I get tested and isolate in our bedroom till I got the results back. ( her 93 year old grandparents live in our basement apartment)

I took that test a CVS drive through. Found out results would take 5 business days after two days in my bedroom and feeling fine I paid 25 bucks for same day results at the local minute clinic.

All 3 results negative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My brother had his test yesterday.   It was a drive through at the hospital.  They told him 3 days. 

He is feeling much better this morning.  He's 67 with type 2 diabetes. So definitely in the risk pool.

I think he did too much over the weekend and got a slight case of heat stroke. 

• Like 1