Who would you dedicate this season to.

Swamp_bucks

Thinking last night/today who I would dedicate this season to.  It was easy I have 2.

1) my father who is losing his battle quickly to dementia and it's getting to the point that this maybe the last year I could share  memories and tell him stories about my hunts and he may have a chance to remember them.  

2)  would be a good friend of mine.  He just left at about 10pm yesterday so 3 hrs ago to head to Afghanistan.   He's been with me on both of my biggest buck kills.  We actually joked yesterday I'll end up having to take a spike with my new bow because he's not around for me to kill a big one.  It'll be weird not hunting with him this year. However couldn't be more proud to have him as a friend.

Who would your person be?  Old or current hunting buddies,  friend,family members, maybe a mentor of yours over the years?

• Like 4

My dad this season , he beat lung cancer in November ( still cancer free ), I missed most of the season taking care of him post surgery This year I told him I'm getting a slammer on 11/21 which was his surgery date and he's the first to get the call. He said that's my boy ...

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 4

I don't know if its exactly dedicating my season to, but I always think a lot about two men who were instrumental in my deer hunting career. The first was my dad. He was just a casual deer hunter, but when I  became interested in hunting taught me all he knew and took me small game and deer hunting all the time. Most of my friends were not as interested in hunting especially when girls and cars became a option. The second was my cousin who was my hunting partner for many years. Both have passed away, but I think of them whenever I think about hunting or have the good fortune to take a buck.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My gramps... he was a man of few words . He didn't brag... but the man could hunt . He fed a large family on venison  and small game . I know he missed but never when I was around . The man could shoot . He taught me how to shoot .  Followed in his foot steps as far back as I can remember.  Boy did he have a long stride in deep snow . I was 17 and hunting deer  with him and my uncles. I was a driver high on a hill breaking into a big field when I kicked up a big buck . He cut the field  way to far of a shot  for me . I watched my grandfather  shoulder his gun and shoot . The buck dissapeared  into the golden rod . No way he made that shot . Sure enough .. buck  is dead ... big 8 pt. 138 paces on the run  with a 20 gauge  browning A5. I had the privilege  of dressing that deer and dragging  it to his ford country squire wagon. On the way home I was way more excited than him . He finally  asked me why I didn't shoot . I told him it was to far ... he said hog wash.. if you can see it you can hit it . He also told me if I dont pull the trigger I'm going to get pretty hungry. Miss them little pearls of wisdom .

• Like 7

I don't know if I could choose if I had to pick one person to dedicate my season too. 

My cousin was drunk and fighting with his girlfriend when he was 18. He played Russian roulette to scare her or teach her a lesson or something, still not sure exactly what but he lost. He was like my big brother. I looked up too him and he made me love all the things l love today. Boating, snowmobiling, corvettes, 4 wheelers. Not sure how he never killed me in his Dads (my uncles) Corvette but I loved every second of it. Its been 35 years and I still think about him all the time. 

My Grandfather....He was a man of few words and when he spoke you listened. Fished in his pond and got my Dad into the hunting camp that I was always at when I was a kid. Wish I could have learned more about hunting from him but he passed before I was old enough to legally deer hunt. But I was at camp a lot and always loved having him there. Anyone that picked on the kid would get a look from him. Same one I would get..if I was misbehaving....lol Seemed to scare the adults as much as me..

My Dad. My Dad was only a casual deer hunter. He enjoyed camp and the guys more than the hunting. He is still with me thankfully but he hasn't hunted in years. He doesn't get around very well. He is the first call  I make when I am lucky enough to get something. Text him while I am on stand, send him pics. He loves the stories of my day on the way home etc....

I think about all three of them while I am hunting and throughout most days....

• Like 3