Still in need of some rain....

I am a bit afraid of what mine might look like in WMU 9f when I get back from vacation.  They say we are supposed to be getting a few days of rain now, so that should help.  The corn was looking great on July 3rd:

On 7/8/2020 at 8:26 PM, wolc123 said:

20200708_201737.jpg

20200708_201818.jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, G-Man said:

My wetter soil plots are decent corn waist high but top of the hill are knee high still ..  a nice day long soaker would do wonders.. 

The stuff that was thigh high on July 3rd is on my best drained ground, right next the a creek.   I have a smaller plot back on my poorest drained ground that was planted a couple weeks later and was just a foot high then.  It was too low to cultivate and I only went over it once with gly.  I went over the tall front plot twice with gly and cultivated so it is pretty much weed free.   

Corn is generally pretty drought tolerant and usually has roots that go as deep as the stalks are tall.  That is why the earlier plantings, that get down some deeper roots early, usually do better on the dry years.  It was a little too cold this spring for early plantings however.   It will be interesting to see which of my plots does better.  

I am really looking forward to trapping some "damaging" coons around that corn.  I planted small patches of sweetcorn next to each field corn plot to help draw them out early.   That by my front (taller/earlier) plot is 80 day sweetcorn (bodacious), while that farther back (shorter/later) is 1/2 80 day and 1/2 90 day (silver queen).   If the coons don't get all that, and we don't get and early frost, we should be getting some decent sweetcorn into October. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

The stuff that was thigh high on July 3rd is on my best drained ground, right next the a creek.   I have a smaller plot back on my poorest drained ground that was planted a couple weeks later and was just a foot high then.  It was too low to cultivate and I only went over it once with gly.  I went over the tall front plot twice with gly and cultivated so it is pretty much weed free.   

Corn is generally pretty drought tolerant and usually has roots that go as deep as the stalks are tall.  That is why the earlier plantings, that get down some deeper roots early, usually do better on the dry years.  It was a little too cold this spring for early plantings however.   It will be interesting to see which of my plots does better.  

I am really looking forward to trapping some "damaging" coons around that corn.  I planted small patches of sweetcorn next to each field corn plot to help draw them out early.   That by my front (taller/earlier) plot is 80 day sweetcorn (bodacious), while that farther back (shorter/later) is 1/2 80 day and 1/2 90 day (silver queen).   If the coons don't get all that, and we don't get and early frost, we should be getting some decent sweetcorn into October. 

Couldnt plant early at all as it snowed several.days mid may..    top of hill is very shallow soil  always a gamble there but when it works it's a very good draw

• Like 1