• .35 Rem
    • .243 Win
    • 7mm Rem Mag
    • .300 Win Mag
    • 7mm Weatherby Mag
    • .340 Weatherby Mag
    • .338 Win Mag
    • Other, please explain!

Starting a new tradition this year, I'll be carrying my first center fire rifle out deer hunting. A new Marlin 30-30 stainless lever gun. My 19 yr old will get the old Ithaca model 37 w/ rifled barrel. I'm all sighted in w. Rem Core Lokt 150 gr.

I have the savage model to i put a new scope on it and im in love wouldn't want to hunt with anything else!!{No need to either}

RSS.. I also have a Savage in 30.06 and put a nice Nikon on it. It's my trusted rifle every season in 30.06. As a side note...I've been using the Rem AccuTip in 165gr. They're a little pricey but they shoot incredible groups out of the Savage. The gun is VERY accurate with these.

I bought a Savage late last year, too late to use it.. So I just used my TC Encore Pro-hunter 50 cal. That means I have a "virgin" savage .270 that needs to be broken in this year. Tomorrow, (opening day), I intend to take my crossbow, and .270 to the blind, hopefully, I'll be able to use them BOTH!

Good luck, Tim... Hope you have an opportunity to use both..

As por MOI, I just hope I can get my old, half crippled, fat butt into the stand with one rifle and maybe shoot a deer..

THEN, I hope I can get out of the stand without killing myself and dress the critter..

Pygmy,

If you can get the wind right, I'm finding I like a blind better than the 'ol climber. You can move around a bit more when the cramps kick in, keeps ya a lot drier, course.... I find I take more comforts with me since I have a lot more room, and the wind doesn't bite as much. Even thought I might take a long a Mr Buddy Heater if it ever gets really cold.

The "climb" in and out is a whole lot easier TOO!

Edited by Tim Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Like Tom Horn said about his choice of caliber, you can walk in any store anywhere and buy 30-06 or .308. That said some prefer the short action of the .308 but the 30-06 has a bigger range of loads. For deer shooting any centerfire over .223 will do. 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 7.62 will all do the job, just depends on where you plug the hole. My next gun, I want either a 30-30 or a 257 Roberts. I believe it was the 257 Roberts that was re-made by Rigby and called 6.5 Rigby for light African game. They just didn't want the Roberts name on the cartridge. The 6.5X54 Mannlicher was used to shoot everything up to elephants by one of the great African hunters. It's not the cartdridge its the guy pulling the trigger.

• 1 month later...

I had been using my Rem. 700 (lefty)in 30-06. Very accurate and in 30-06 it lays deer right out. I never had one go more than 20 or 30 yrds. Alot just pile right up.

This year I broke in a new Ruger Hawkeye (lefty) in 7mm-08. It's a little lighter than the Rem. and a little more accurate. I took a buck with it on opening day and the deer went no where. As much as I love my 700,I think I'll stick with the Ruger for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Is your rifle an original or a repro...??...

Not that it matters for hunting, because either the original Winchester or the Browning repro would be a quality firearm..

If you shoot it much, you might consider getting into reloading, or perhaps having a friend reload for you. That would cut your ammo cost by as much as 75%, if you have your own brass..

Edited by Pygmy