Snapping Turtles

fasteddie

What is the best caliber to use on snapping turtles ? A friend has a pond that has been over run with the snapping turtles . They have eaten all of the stocked fish so my friend's grandson can't fish there anymore . 22 hollow point ? 223 V-max ? 25-06 117 gr spitzer ?

I  used standard velocity .22 rimfire solid points.  Snappers are not as tough as they look.  I hooked a medium sized one a few years ago on fishing rod in my pond.  It was an interesting fight until I saw what it was.  I was scared to try and pull my buctail jig out of its mouth, or try and pull it up the steep bank.

My truck was parked close by and my Ruger 10.22 was behind the seat.  One shot to the head out its lights out.

I killed a larger one once with my bushog.   That sliced off the shell efortlessly, unlike a big groundhog that got chopped once, nearly stalling my 40 hp diesel tractor.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I would hope to be shooting these on the pond bank if I decide to try . 

They make very good chowder.  I like it better than clam. 

You might want to learn where the brain is locate in the head and place your bullet there.  That way the bullet selection is less important

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4

We use a 22 Hornet, at the farm pond in front of my hunting partners house. Will have to try my AR in 223. That should work well too.

Same deal. The snappers took over the pond. Some real big ones in there. I used to stock it with LM bass, and for years there was some nice fish in there, but they're all gone now.

When were kids, we used to catch them on a treble hook baited with chopped up bluegills.  We gave the live turtles to  an old neighbor and he killed them by chopping off the heads and made chowder.  We attached the hook to wire rope.  I sure miss that good chowder that it has been about 40 years since I had.

Edited by wolc123

You can wade out into the pond and feel around the bottom like the knucklehead Ernie Brown AKA the "Turtle  Man" and grab them. 

They are pretty easily caught with big hooks and a wire leader baited with big chunks of fish. Make up a bunch of lines, stake them and toss them out in the pond. There are also traps that can be made to catch them.

They are very good eating.

Al

turtleman-pictures1.jpg

Edited by airedale

Actually turtles are pretty easy to clean...just have patience. I butchered them leaving the shells intact...chop off the head, give it a good scrubbing, then I skinned the meat around the legs and cut the quarters out. You get a surprising amount...probably more cutting the shell, but I wanted it intact.

The nervous system with turtles is VERY primitive, so even a brain shot they keep a kicking for hours. SEven hours after butchering, the heart was still beating! My veterinarian taught me a trick though....Cut the tail off close, then take a straitened coat hanger. Run it up the middle of the spinal cord and work it back and forth a bit..it destroys all the central nervous system and they are as dead as dead can be.

If I remember correctly, the shell has to be 12'' long to be legal to kill/keep.

• Like 1

The best bait to bring them to the surface or on the pond bank is BEACON trust me it's the best bar none. As a kid I would catch turtles from a local lake and sell them to pond owners in the neighborhood. One day I caught 22 in 4 hours. Tie a strip of beacon and swish it around and slowly bring it to the bank and have net under the water he'll swim right after the beacon. Scoop it up or shoot it. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Turtle traps are cheap and effective. Buddy has relocated 7-8 this year already out of his pond. Hot dogs are the hot bait 

If I ever change my name handle, it would definitely be turtlefeathers!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

The best bait to bring them to the surface or on the pond bank is BEACON trust me it's the best bar none. As a kid I would catch turtles from a local lake and sell them to pond owners in the neighborhood. One day I caught 22 in 4 hours. Tie a strip of beacon and swish it around and slowly bring it to the bank and have net under the water he'll swim right after the beacon. Scoop it up or shoot it. 

What the hell is "BEACON" ? Do you shine a beacon of light in the water ? I realize you meant BACON ........

Given a safe shot against a mud bank, any centerfire " mid turtle"  will work fine...The .223 would be good...

You can also catch them on set lines baited with most any kind of meat...Chicken gizzards, freezer burned venison,, whatever..

11 hours ago, The Engineer said:

Ive caught dozens doing the same thing with almost any lure. Manns Jelly Worms the most!

On 7/13/2020 at 4:16 PM, fasteddie said:

What is the best caliber to use on snapping turtles ? A friend has a pond that has been over run with the snapping turtles . They have eaten all of the stocked fish so my friend's grandson can't fish there anymore . 22 hollow point ? 223 V-max ? 25-06 117 gr spitzer ?

I like my 50 BMG. Instant turtle soup.

Edited by squirrelwhisperer
  • Like 1

This guy looks yummy...may need to try and snag a bunch. Biggest problem will be the surrounding homes who would think not odd to take frogs. A certain 911 call would be made!

3ba09334a31093ee39570cfeb0b6e7b7.jpg&key=8a71f6dc95c00b6d95976318e7fc6a9b28c2820bc714c989233bb596a361cf32

I have also seen a massive snapping turtle in this same neighborhood “puddle”

Old pic from May

2b43f912ffd863d737687f715f1caf1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This guy looks yummy...may need to try and snag a bunch. Biggest problem will be the surrounding homes who would think not odd to take frogs. A certain 911 call would be made!

3ba09334a31093ee39570cfeb0b6e7b7.jpg&key=8a71f6dc95c00b6d95976318e7fc6a9b28c2820bc714c989233bb596a361cf32

I have also seen a massive snapping turtle in this same neighborhood “puddle”

Old pic from May
2b43f912ffd863d737687f715f1caf1d.jpg&key=343258d101b709d73431b88fac5e55e43d6bd66ee8734687656fe111a3980845

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll gladly help consumption. With snappers I hear it's best after catching them put them in a plastic kiddie pool for a week to purge. Then you dispatch and cook accordingly

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod