Heavy Broadheads...

NonTypical

1 hour ago, bruno1 said:

Yea I called, tried talking me out of it for a whitetail. 

I figured that. There’s really not much that he could do to build an arrow for you anyway. You need to shoot the bow, not him. Just order a few different bare shaft arrows from Lancaster or Sirius with weighted inserts and assorted field tips. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to shooting a few different arrows with different weights up front and I thought that I’d share my findings. Everything was shot using 100 gr inserts and different size field tips, with the exception of the piledriver which had a standard insert weighing 11 grains. I tried to bare shaft tune, but I couldn’t for the life of me get them even close. So I ended up paper tuning all shafts with fletchings at about 8 yards. I still have more fine tuning to do and I will do more testing at 20-30 yards. I also plan on changing the insert size so that I can test using a 100 grain broadhead and have the same total weight up front. 
I am shooting a Bowtech Carbon Icon @70lbs and my arrows are cut 28.5 inches carbon to carbon. 

Carbon Express Piledriver 350 spine 524g total 150g head/11g insert 11.4 gpi 10.5% FOC

Carbon Express Maxima Red 350 spine 503.8g total 100g head/100g insert 9.4gpi 15.5% FOC

Sirius Vulcan 250 spine 574g total 100g head/100g insert 11.18 gpi 13% FOC

Sirius Vulcan 300 spine 554g total 125g head/100g insert 10 gpi 15.8% FOC

Easton 6.5 Hunter Classic 300 spine 611g total 200g head/100g insert 9.5 gpi 18.9% FOC

Most of the combinations had a sweet spot as I changed the field tip weight, however the Easton flew good with tips from 125-200g and a 100g insert leaving a perfect bullet hole. Depending on broadhead flight and arrow drop, changes might be made to the total weight up front. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

Hey Matt, were all those shafts listed part of the Ranch Fairy kit or did you just buy different shafts to test

I bought the Sirius shafts from Ranch Fairy. They insisted that I needed the 250’s. However I wanted to try the 300’s as well, and I’m glad I did. I ordered the other arrows from Lancaster Archery. They sell individual arrows and will cut them to length. Everything was bare shaft and I used the NAP shrink tube vanes. They work pretty good. 
Going thru my stuff last night, I found another shaft that I forgot to try that I ordered. It’s a Carbon Express D-Stroyer 350 spine. I was trying to get that one in a 300 spine, but they’ve been back ordered for weeks. 
Not sure what length arrows you shoot Steve, but once I get it narrowed down, you’re welcome to shoot any of these if you’d like. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NonTypical said:

I bought the Sirius shafts from Ranch Fairy. They insisted that I needed the 250’s. However I wanted to try the 300’s as well, and I’m glad I did. I ordered the other arrows from Lancaster Archery. They sell individual arrows and will cut them to length. Everything was bare shaft and I used the NAP shrink tube vanes. They work pretty good. 
Going thru my stuff last night, I found another shaft that I forgot to try that I ordered. It’s a Carbon Express D-Stroyer 350 spine. I was trying to get that one in a 300 spine, but they’ve been back ordered for weeks. 
Not sure what length arrows you shoot Steve, but once I get it narrowed down, you’re welcome to shoot any of these if you’d like. 

Thanks Matt I’m probably gonna take you up on that. I have a 28” draw but have to measure how long my arrows are

• 10 months later...

I thought I’d try something new this year and ordered some Carbon Express Triads 300’s. They come with a 97g insert/outsert and with a 100g point, I’m at 543g and 14% FOC. I only put one together so far, but boy does it fly sweet! I have to put a new sight on and get a new target before I do any more testing. The Triad just blows right through both of mine. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

I thought I’d try something new this year and ordered some Carbon Express Triads 300’s. They come with a 97g insert/outsert and with a 100g point, I’m at 543g and 14% FOC. I only put one together so far, but boy does it fly sweet! I have to put a new sight on and get a new target before I do any more testing. The Triad just blows right through both of mine. 

14 FOC is perfect

• Like 1