Heavy Broadheads...

NonTypical

I’m looking to increase my FOC as well as increasing the weight a bit with my carbon arrows. I’ll be doing some testing soon as far as my arrows go, but I was just wondering if anyone here shoots a fixed blade head that’s more than 125 grains? If so, what kind? Does anyone add more weight up front with a heavy insert?

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

I have my wife set up with 125 grain Magnus black hornets and 75 grain brass inserts, and my son same broad head with 50 grain insert’s. You may have to up the spine of your arrow depending on how much weight you want to use. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rob-c said:

I have my wife set up with 125 grain Magnus black hornets and 75 grain brass inserts, and my son same broad head with 50 grain insert’s. You may have to up the spine of your arrow depending on how much weight you want to use. 

I’m planning on going to a stiffer arrow, I’m just not sure yet how stiff it will be.  I’ll be testing different spines and weights. I was looking at those broadheads and I’ve read really great reviews. Do you know what your overall weight of your arrow is? What about the FOC?

44 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

I’m looking to increase my FOC as well as increasing the weight a bit with my carbon arrows. I’ll be doing some testing soon as far as my arrows go, but I was just wondering if anyone here shoots a fixed blade head that’s more than 125 grains? If so, what kind? Does anyone add more weight up front with a heavy insert?

Matt, go to that guys YouTube channel. That’s all he does is FOC. I’m gonna do the same thing and beef up my arrows. Just wish I can get out to use them instead of a guiding

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

Matt, go to that guys YouTube channel. That’s all he does is FOC. I’m gonna do the same thing and beef up my arrows. Just wish I can get out to use them instead of a guiding

I’ve been watching a lot of his videos. I even ordered a test kit from him. I’ll be doing some experimentation in the coming weeks. If things go well as far as getting heavy, I’ll be looking to try something other than my Montecs. I was looking at VPA broadheads and they really look badass. The Magnus heads are on my short list as well. 

• Like 1

I will be adding about 200 grains upfront (100 with an insert and 125gr broadhead). After seeing the penetration people were getting with a similar set up, im sold on it. The buck I got last season dropped with in 30 yards, but Im not impressed with the lack of penetration I got. Im just a little worried if my arrow spine will allow me to put an additional 200 grains 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I will be adding about 200 grains upfront (100 with an insert and 125gr broadhead). After seeing the penetration people were getting with a similar set up, im sold on it. The buck I got last season dropped with in 30 yards, but Im not impressed with the lack of penetration I got. Im just a little worried if my arrow spine will allow me to put an additional 200 grains 

200gn is alot and depending on the length of the arrow the spine will change. 

What length and spine  arrow are you shooting and whats the draw weight and length?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

200gn is alot and depending on the length of the arrow the spine will change. 

What length and spine  arrow are you shooting and whats the draw weight and length?

62 pounds at 28." I shot some 200 grain fp's and they shot straight 

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 1

I switched to a Magnus this year.  I added 100 upfront in weight and 100 grain broadhead.  I have a 340 spine cut to 29inch.  Granted this was for my old bow.  Hoping it won't be to big of a difference when my new one gets set up.  But I only built 4 so no huge loss.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 1

Where is that mount??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i beefed up my arrows this year. I was shooting 330 grain total weight arrows last year,now i am shooting 575 grain arrows. My DL is 29.5 and DW is 60#. 300 spine arrows with 75 gr brass weight and 20 grain inserts. FOC is around 18%. I shoot 125 grain single bevel samurai heads. It is a two piece head,we will see how they do.

I can't wait to test one on a deer.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

i beefed up my arrows this year. I was shooting 330 grain total weight arrows last year,now i am shooting 575 grain arrows. My DL is 29.5 and DW is 60#. 300 spine arrows with 75 gr brass weight and 20 grain inserts. FOC is around 18%. I shoot 125 grain single bevel samurai heads. It is a two piece head,we will see how they do.

I can't wait to test one on a deer.

That sounds like a similar setup to mine, but my draw weight is around 70#. Last year I was shooting a .350 spine with about 360 grains. I anticipate shooting a .300 spine or even a .250 spine when I’m done with about 550-600 grains total weight when it’s said and done. When I shot aluminums with my old bow, I was over 600 grains and they were thumpers. 

• Like 2

I'm also upgrading my setup this year. moved to a .350 spine, 100gr broadheads, and just ordered 200gr inserts. should be around 550 total weight when all is said and done. using Victory Decimator arrows, 65# draw at 29 inches. I'm a little worried that the 200gr inserts might be a bit much.

4 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I'm also upgrading my setup this year. moved to a .350 spine, 100gr broadheads, and just ordered 200gr inserts. should be around 550 total weight when all is said and done. using Victory Decimator arrows, 65# draw at 29 inches. I'm a little worried that the 200gr inserts might be a bit much.

I agree I dont think a 350 spine arrow will be sufficient with that much  weight. 

• Like 2

I'm shooting mechanicals (although between THP and the ranch fairy i'm starting to buy into the fixed idea), so flight should be ok. The part that has me concerned is what the arrow does once the broadhead makes contact. Will it push through or will it bend. I like the idea of tinkering with arrows and weights to find the right setup. The reality is that I just don't have the time to tinker. The weights should arrive in the next few days, so I should be able to test them out this weekend or next. Does anyone know if there is an interchangeable weight system so that you can increase or decrease easily without having to mess with inserts and heat and glue? I couldn't find anything like this..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I'm shooting mechanicals (although between THP and the ranch fairy i'm starting to buy into the fixed idea), so flight should be ok. The part that has me concerned is what the arrow does once the broadhead makes contact. Will it push through or will it bend. I like the idea of tinkering with arrows and weights to find the right setup. The reality is that I just don't have the time to tinker. The weights should arrive in the next few days, so I should be able to test them out this weekend or next. Does anyone know if there is an interchangeable weight system so that you can increase or decrease easily without having to mess with inserts and heat and glue? I couldn't find anything like this..

You can buy field points in varying sizes up to 300 grains. I plan on putting in different inserts from 50-100 grains in a few arrows then swapping out the field points for testing. 
As far as what the arrow will do upon impact, with a high FOC the broadhead will pull the arrow through the animal. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

According to this chart, you’ll be quite under spined with 300g up front and .350 spine. You might need something as stiff as .200 spine

https://www.siriusarchery.com/pages/spine-chart

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Unless you are shooting over spined now ,there's a good chance you'll have to go stiffer with that set up

Unless you are shooting over spined now ,there's a good chance you'll have to go stiffer with that set up

I’m on the border of needing 350’s with my draw weight and . I think if I cut them down to 27” I can get away with using 350’s. I sent victory an email about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I’m on the border of needing 350’s with my draw weight and . I think if I cut them down to 27” I can get away with using 350’s. I sent victory an email about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say you’re probably going to need.300 for that combination.