Heavy Broadheads...

NonTypical

It is always safer to go heavier than too light of a spine.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:52 AM, Bolt action said:

I'm shooting mechanicals (although between THP and the ranch fairy i'm starting to buy into the fixed idea), so flight should be ok. The part that has me concerned is what the arrow does once the broadhead makes contact. Will it push through or will it bend. I like the idea of tinkering with arrows and weights to find the right setup. The reality is that I just don't have the time to tinker. The weights should arrive in the next few days, so I should be able to test them out this weekend or next. Does anyone know if there is an interchangeable weight system so that you can increase or decrease easily without having to mess with inserts and heat and glue? I couldn't find anything like this..

My bow guy put brass inserts in my arrow that accept screw in weights. You need a long wrench and can add or remove weights from the nock end of the arrow after the insert is glued in. It is best to glue the weights in too once you found your set up as they loosen over time.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 6:50 PM, NonTypical said:

I’m looking to increase my FOC as well as increasing the weight a bit with my carbon arrows. I’ll be doing some testing soon as far as my arrows go, but I was just wondering if anyone here shoots a fixed blade head that’s more than 125 grains? If so, what kind? Does anyone add more weight up front with a heavy insert?

Matt you doing all the work yourself or just doing the homework and taking it to Chuck

47 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

Matt you doing all the work yourself or just doing the homework and taking it to Chuck

I’ll be doing everything myself. Everything that I need should be here tomorrow. Then I’ll start playing around with different combinations to see what works best. 

Edited by NonTypical

On 7/19/2020 at 10:37 AM, NonTypical said:

Maybe when it all said and done and I’ve nock tuned the arrows, I’ll bring them to Chuck to get them fletched. Other than that I don’t see any benefit on having him do any tuning for me. What about you?

Honestly Matt I just don’t have the time. The way my painting business is going I’m not even sure how much guiding I’ll be doing this year. Been going 7 days a week even during the pandemic since one of the projects I’m on was deemed essential 

1 hour ago, bruno1 said:

Honestly Matt I just don’t have the time. The way my painting business is going I’m not even sure how much guiding I’ll be doing this year. Been going 7 days a week even during the pandemic since one of the projects I’m on was deemed essential 

That sucks Steve. It’s great that you’re busy, but hopefully  things slow down just a bit for you come the fall.
I did start putting a few arrows together last night and only had time for a few shots with vastly different setups. There was one that consistently buried the arrow up to the nock on my target. And it wasn’t even the heaviest setup. Very promising so far, but still have some work to do. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 6:50 PM, NonTypical said:

I’m looking to increase my FOC as well as increasing the weight a bit with my carbon arrows. I’ll be doing some testing soon as far as my arrows go, but I was just wondering if anyone here shoots a fixed blade head that’s more than 125 grains? If so, what kind? Does anyone add more weight up front with a heavy insert?

I didn't look through all the reply's but check out simmons broadheads. They fly excellent and you can get them in all kinds of weights. I currently shoot the tiger sharks at 175 grns with a 100 grn brass insert. These broadheads are devastating on game huge holes and good blood trails.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 6:20 AM, bruno1 said:

Real good video on broadhead sharpening. This to me me is one of the most overlooked things 

Be advised Ranch Fairy used the incorrect sharpening tool on the black hornets, he should have used the black replaceable blade jig. I ordered mine. 

I did a little bit. I wasn’t satisfied with the arrow flight with bare shaft. But boy do they penetrate when I shoot them with fletchings. I am around 600 grains right now. I decided to order some .300 spine to test as well before I go any further. They should be here this weekend. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NonTypical said:

I did a little bit. I wasn’t satisfied with the arrow flight with bare shaft. But boy do they penetrate when I shoot them with fletchings. I am around 600 grains right now. I decided to order some .300 spine to test as well before I go any further. They should be here this weekend. 

Keep us updated. I’m gonna call Chuck and see If he can build me something around 550-600 if I drop off my bow

1 hour ago, bruno1 said:

Keep us updated. I’m gonna call Chuck and see If he can build me something around 550-600 if I drop off my bow

I did stop in to see Chuck because I thought I had an issue with my bow, but it was all good. I did talk to him briefly about this. I got the impression that he was less than receptive to the high FOC. I might be wrong though. Give him a call and see what he says. 

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

It appears ill need approximately a million grains up front of these FMJs to get the FOC I want

Wrong approach to high foc. A high gpi number is bad for that. In my opinion you would be better off shooting a lighter arrow with higher foc than a heavy arrow with low foc.

3 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Wrong approach to high foc. A high gpi number is bad for that. In my opinion you would be better off shooting a lighter arrow with higher foc than a heavy arrow with low foc.

I agree, Im going to have both a heavy arrow and a heavy broadhead combined for proper FOC

So this is really interesting to me.. my arrow setup is about 525 total weight on a.350 spine. I was expecting better penetration, but I'm actually seeing arrows hit the target and bounce off at 25 yds. Standard field points. They drive about half way through the target at 15yds. At 25 though, in getting about an inch at best. 

5 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

So this is really interesting to me.. my arrow setup is about 525 total weight on a.350 spine. I was expecting better penetration, but I'm actually seeing arrows hit the target and bounce off at 25 yds. Standard field points. They drive about half way through the target at 15yds. At 25 though, in getting about an inch at best. 

Whats your poundage and draw length?? Whats this target made out of lol??

16 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Did you shoot them through paper ? Curious how the arrow flight is. 

• Like 1