Got my traps

rachunter

Got my MB550’s today. There’s no comparison to the duke’s I got last year. These 550’s are solid tanks. I’m going to try a few set this year,but I’m really building up an arsenal for when I retire. I’ve always wanted to trap ever since I was a kid well I’m going for it in my old age. Should be a fun adventure.

5e05623fdafcd74d6fe6087634e3a3ce.jpg

212df8bfabc7517ab1599e9f6b12426f.jpg

aca8f651992c8ab1a63beca4bf0e0544.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

It will be fun if you take it as a learning experience. Where did you order the 550's from?

I am going to get a 1/2 dozen and was hoping to pick some up at a trappers event this year but it looks like they are all getting cancelled.

I need something beefier to hold some of the big ones I have on trail cams from last winter. I doubt my #2's or 1 3/4" will hold the bigger ones I have pictures of.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Steve D said:

It will be fun if you take it as a learning experience. Where did you order the 550's from?

I am going to get a 1/2 dozen and was hoping to pick some up at a trappers event this year but it looks like they are all getting cancelled.

I need something beefier to hold some of the big ones I have on trail cams from last winter. I doubt my #2's or 1 3/4" will hold the bigger ones I have pictures of.

I got them from Minnesota trapline. I've been picking up supplies from them and Schmitt enterprises over the past year now.

https://www.minntrapprod.com/Minnesota-Brand-MB/departments/537/

Congrats on the MB550's....those beauties practically bed themselves. I see in the photo you have the "Groundhog" digging tool. You can dig the trap bed , pound the stakes in and dig the dirt hole with it.  Now you'll only have to carry 1 tool instead of 3. The head of the hammer takes a beating but it will hold up.  Good luck this season.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rachunter said:

I got them from Minnesota trapline. I've been picking up supplies from them and Schmitt enterprises over the past year now.

I usually buy from F&T and have been pleased with them but at the price of the 550's I will shopping around for sure.

With the current conditions who knows if there will even be a fur market this year. I am just looking to thin out the population around here and to have a good time.:music:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve D said:

I usually buy from F&T and have been pleased with them but at the price of the 550's I will shopping around for sure.

With the current conditions who knows if there will even be a fur market this year. I am just looking to thin out the population around here and to have a good time.:music:

I picked up a few things from f&t. Minnesota trapline had the 550's on sale for $180 a dozen,but I waited to long to pull the trigger and missed it $204 a dozen seems to be the going rate.

I'm going to trap to get the experience until I retire,but if the prices you posted last year hold look  out wily.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:02 PM, rachunter said:

Got my MB550’s today. There’s no comparison to the duke’s I got last year. These 550’s are solid tanks. I’m going to try a few set this year,but I’m really building up an arsenal for when I retire. I’ve always wanted to trap ever since I was a kid well I’m going for it in my old age. Should be a fun adventure.

Just a suggestion.....I use fluorescent paint on the handles of some of my trapping supplies. When I make a set I have a bad habit of laying the tool on the ground instead of putting it back in the bucket or pack basket. Saves a lot of time walking back to the previous set to look for it. I already had to replace a stake setter.

IMG_6689.thumb.JPG.5b43be985fbe54a5dd4e501f4c8cedc5.JPG

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Water Rat said:

Just a suggestion.....I use fluorescent paint on the handles of some of my trapping supplies. When I make a set I have a bad habit of laying the tool on the ground instead of putting it back in the bucket or pack basket. Saves a lot of time walking back to the previous set to look for it. I already had to replace a stake setter.

IMG_6689.thumb.JPG.5b43be985fbe54a5dd4e501f4c8cedc5.JPG

Thanks for the tip I'm definitely going to paint the tools.I got the wax today i'm going to dip the traps and try making  wax dirt Sunday.

On 7/17/2020 at 6:23 PM, rachunter said:

Thanks for the tip I'm definitely going to paint the tools.I got the wax today i'm going to dip the traps and try making  wax dirt Sunday.

You have great weather for making your wax dirt today. Follow the directions and it comes out great. Just make sure none of your sweat falls into the dirt....it’ll be contaminated. Best of luck !

• Like 2

Got mine today but they messed up the order and sent 4-double coil and 2 four coiled. Hopefully they will let me keep them and just remove the coils but waiting to see if they want to do an exchange.

mb550.jpg

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I wish theyd offer the trapping course online so I can take it. Wasnt interested in driving for hours to take a course for something id rarely do

Out of all the courses I took the trapping one was the most interesting,But in this day and age an online course should be offered.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 6:13 PM, G-Man said:

Thanks for reminder I need some dog proof coon traps...

I have 2 of those and 4 box traps.  The nice thing about the box type is that you can check them from far away, but the coons usually mess them up pretty bad when caught.  Also, sometimes a smart one will figure out how to swipe the bait.  I always use peanut butter coated marshmallows. 

When I get robbed by a smart one like that, I put one of those dog proof types by that spot with some cat food and it usually gets them every time. I don't know of any fur bearers that are easier to trap than coons. 

Hopefully I will be able to start taking some out in about a week and a half. My sweetcorn will be ripe by then so they should be coming from miles around. I aim to have the local area reatitivly coon free by the time the field corn gets ripe. I only got in 3 acres of corn this year and the only way it will last thru ML season is if I take out lots of coons.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

My only Trap .... Boring Huh ?

Nice catch:mosking: Better than nothing. I think my chipmunk problem is over or close to it. Once I started making them try to swim my catch rate slowed down to nothing in the last two weeks. The final count up to this point is 43.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:16 PM, rachunter said:

My wax dirt came out pretty good. I put a patch out back and we had Torrential rain today and it was dry underneath.

Congrats on your wax dirt. You'll be glad you did it come the winter time. Sometimes I'll put some wax dirt in a small zip lock bag and put it in the freezer for 24 hours. If it doesn't freeze , then I know there's no moisture in the dirt.

• Thanks 1