define sunrise/sunset

mxsmitz201

I know the law states legal shooting hours as sunrise to sunset. So does this mean I need to follow some chart from the weather channel or noaa and lose a minute or two every morning and night in order to be legal??

Not for nothing but theres a solid 15-25 mins of solid shooting light before and after the given sunrise and sunset for a particular day. On top of that cloud cover/weather and moon phase play a huge role in the amount of sunlight too. For example today I wouldnt even think of drawing my bow back until 6:40, where as a few days ago i wouldnt hesitate for a minute to draw back at 6:15.

I would think the DEC would have a link to some time tables or something of that nature for the legal shooting hours if thats what they govern it by.

Looking for some clarification as I tried to research it on dec website but all i found was "Big game hunting hours are from sunrise to sunset". To me that leaves a lot of grey area.

thanks for the link!! Still doesnt make sense though. 4:33 in the westernmost part of the state is going to be much different than 4:33 in the easternmost part of the state.

sorry i honestly didnt know there was a thread about this from last year. I was just looking for some clarification, wasnt trying to stir the pot or anything.

You can't use this chart unless you are in the region in line with Albany. The times listed are ALBANY times only. In the Reg book there is a chart that has plus and minus amounts from the times in the table. They plus and minus times will be what the weather channel lists for your specific area.

thanks for the link!! Still doesnt make sense though. 4:33 in the westernmost part of the state is going to be much different than 4:33 in the easternmost part of the state.

sorry i honestly didnt know there was a thread about this from last year. I was just looking for some clarification, wasnt trying to stir the pot or anything.

No problem it just got a bit heated over the "Gray area" if you know what I mean. It's a good question to bring up.

I use the sunrise sunset app on the iPhone for photography purposes because it also shows the civil twilight times (the time the sun actually breaks the horizon) which is more important than actual sunrise and sunset for photography purposes.

But I also use it for hunting. I normally set it for GPS location which in NYC, it's about 4 minutes off but you can also set it to use Albany as the location with makes it fairly accurate (+/- 1 minute at most). If a DEC officer busts me for shooting a deer 30 seconds too early than you best believe I'm fighting him in court.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sunrise-sunset/id309409507?mt=8

I know the law states legal shooting hours as sunrise to sunset. So does this mean I need to follow some chart from the weather channel or noaa and lose a minute or two every morning and night in order to be legal??

Not for nothing but theres a solid 15-25 mins of solid shooting light before and after the given sunrise and sunset for a particular day. On top of that cloud cover/weather and moon phase play a huge role in the amount of sunlight too. For example today I wouldnt even think of drawing my bow back until 6:40, where as a few days ago i wouldnt hesitate for a minute to draw back at 6:15.

I would think the DEC would have a link to some time tables or something of that nature for the legal shooting hours if thats what they govern it by.

Looking for some clarification as I tried to research it on dec website but all i found was "Big game hunting hours are from sunrise to sunset". To me that leaves a lot of grey area.

In the original thread I mentioned in the 42 years of hunting I have never looked at my watch before I shot a deer. Enough said don't want to reserect that thread again.
  • Like 1

Burt I seem to remember that thread and boy was it heated. Some were called unethical , criminals for 5 minutes,

Yeah, that was a good one! I've said it before and I'll say it again. Only LIARS will tell you that they wouldn't shoot that deer they've waited all season and maybe years for just because it's 5 minutes before or after legal hours.

Yeah, that was a good one! I've said it before and I'll say it again. Only LIARS will tell you that they wouldn't shoot that deer they've waited all season and maybe years for just because it's 5 minutes before or after legal hours.

Steve I remember making that same point and I agree with you. I thought they were going to drum me off the site. There is no compromise with some on this site, black or white no grey area. Mean while our whole lives reside in the grey area nothing is cut and dry.

thanks for the help guys.

I use the sunrise sunset app on the iPhone for photography purposes because it also shows the civil twilight times (the time the sun actually breaks the horizon) which is more important than actual sunrise and sunset for photography purposes.

But I also use it for hunting. I normally set it for GPS location which in NYC, it's about 4 minutes off but you can also set it to use Albany as the location with makes it fairly accurate (+/- 1 minute at most). If a DEC officer busts me for shooting a deer 30 seconds too early than you best believe I'm fighting him in court.

http://itunes.apple....d309409507?mt=8

I hope it never comes down to that, because those charts are rediculous. Mother nature throws in way too many variables to be able to make a chart that dictates legal shooting light. I understand we need some sort of regulation, in a perfect world if everyone was honest and safe (impossible) we wouldnt need those rules.

Ill gladly admit that I dont have an alarm or reminder set for legal shooting light, and wont think twice about taking a deer as long as i can clearly identify it and all my surroundings and see through my peep sight. I was just looking for more information on the subject as I had an assumption the law about that would come from way out in left field knowing NYS had everything to do with it.

You best know the times though. I have gotten stopped after dark coming out on state land due to a mile walk and been asked the time legal hunting ends by the DEC.

I copy the chart in the books and laminate and put in my license holder for reference. It has adjustments for location in the state. I am plus 10 minutes.

I wish we were like in other states that are a half our before in am and a half hour after in pm.

I wish we were like in other states that are a half our before in am and a half hour after in pm.

I think they anticipate the "sunrise and sunset" will be stretched. If they made it the half before and after....that would probably get stretched then. Botom line, just like any other reg, the enforecement will be at the discretion of the ECO. It may come down to whether his eggs were cooked to order that morning or not..lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

You best know the times though. I have gotten stopped after dark coming out on state land due to a mile walk and been asked the time legal hunting ends by the DEC.

I copy the chart in the books and laminate and put in my license holder for reference. It has adjustments for location in the state. I am plus 10 minutes.

That's so ridiculous what if you didn't have a watch. The DEC will have to mandate that all hunters must carry a watch while hunting along with your license. Because if you don't have a watch how would you know when legal shooting time is (SUNRISE). If caught without watch off to the pokie.

Thats ridiculous, no need to do that or memorize the hours. If someone stops me I will say I only shoot between 10am - 3pm, leave me alone!

That's so ridiculous what if you didn't have a watch. The DEC will have to mandate that all hunters must carry a watch while hunting along with your license. Because if you don't have a watch how would you know when legal shooting time is (SUNRISE). If caught without watch off to the pokie.

You aren't required to carry a ruler either but you had better make sure at least one spike is 3" if you only have a buck tag and better make sure the point is at least 1" if you are in an AR area.

You aren't required to carry a ruler either but you had better make sure at least one spike is 3" if you only have a buck tag and better make sure the point is at least 1" if you are in an AR area.

Some people look at it the opposite way, they take < 3" spikes so they count on doe tags, but still count toward their career tally of bucks lol.

I allways hear people shooting before sun up!

Certainly doesn't mean it is legal. As mentioned in an earlier thread, I HAVE passed on a deer because it was too early. When I first started hunting over thirty years ago, my father made sure I knew how important it was to know the time and try to be legal at all times. It only takes a couple of morons to make life rough for legal hunters.

Not a good comparison. Maybe you should have said have your vision checked that would be a better comparison.

With the bow..... if I can see the pins and my peep, then it's pretty light out. Alot more cautious with firearms though. Fortunately my Leupold VX-2 is about 3 times better than my binoculars for counting antler points in the 1/2 light, and about 8 times better than my eyes. Definitely always wait until colors are pronounced, but I've never had a shot at first light anyway.