No turkey poults

Water Rat

That's strange..After a dry June there should be poults all over the place..I have not seen any either..I have seen a big hen on the property several times, so big I thought she was a jake until I put the binocs on her...Nary a poult...

• Sad 1

Just saw the first poult of the year. With all the turkeys in the neighborhood , it’s kinda depressing that this is the only poult I’ve seen. Hate to think how many she lost.                                    5573FA59-A9C6-4ACD-97E9-68FF849E0FF2.thumb.png.cdef76a3e2641e6d232c1b259448c0d4.png

I had two hens in my yard this morning.  One has 5 fist sized poults, probably just a couple weeks old at most.  The other is a larger bearded hen than had 9 large poults.  The bearded hen has been around here for maybe 3 years.  Last year she had just one poult, maybe the smaller hen with 5 little poults.

• Like 1

Same in my area.  From what I'm gathering from trail cameras is that there's so many coons the turkeys don't have a chance to get a good brood started past laying eggs. The number of coons on my cameras at night is unreal.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, E J said:

Same in my area.  From what I'm gathering from trail cameras is that there's so many coons the turkeys don't have a chance to get a good brood started past laying eggs. The number of coons on my cameras at night is unreal.

Same here.. I've seen a spike in racoons and don't have any poults on cam. That's over in 8A.

• Sad 1

There like fleas around here. See many hens with large broods regularly in my area.  Earliest brood I seen was May 28th. There not quite 1/2 the size of mom now.  Also seeing some that are the size of a morning Dove. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

This little poult is getting bigger....still no sign of the hen. Poor little guy is walking around kee keeing for the hen that never shows up. The other turkeys constantly harass it when it only wants to be in the company of other turkeys. Oh well........Mother Nature I guess.IMG_6849.thumb.PNG.820858c4149d55d19fe0c614e06efb6e.PNG

I saw one flock recently in a clover field (Schuyler County, North of Watkins Glen). Hen had one poult with her that was about the size of a grouse and she also had 5 smaller ones that were dove sized. Remember that DEC wants to hear about turkey poult sightings during the month of August. The have an online form on their website,

I had only seen 3 poults until a few weeks ago.  Once we got some rain they started getting out in the hay fields (like on a normal year) around here.  I would say they were on the small side, but at least I am seeing some.  

I have been driving 1+ hour to our family farm in Central VT and there are plenty of poults there.  I counted 2 hens with 19 poults in one field.  My brother says there are at least 3 flocks like that on the farm.  

• Like 1