Decent starter crossbow

luberhill

Agree they are rare and please correct me if deluded but I understand this is first year cross bow can be used in last 2 weeks of early archery season in southern zone, so one might expect a little more rigor than usual.  They do check on antler length on areas with restrictions. Some one I know lost an antlered deer to them on those grounds last year.

6 hours ago, Downstate Dud said:

Agree they are rare and please correct me if deluded but I understand this is first year cross bow can be used in last 2 weeks of early archery season in southern zone, so one might expect a little more rigor than usual.  They do check on antler length on areas with restrictions. Some one I know lost an antlered deer to them on those grounds last year.

It appears that you have time-traveled back about 6 years, to 2014, the year that the crossbow was legalized in part of NY archery deer season.

A legal antler has to be 3" long.  Male deer with shorter antlers, including "buttons", may be tagged with DMP's. Most, but not all "antelerless" bucks are around 6 months old during hunting season.  That is the year that the quantity of meat on them is the lowest but the quality of that meat is at the highest.  I am really hoping for one this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Downstate Dud said:

So back to my query from wiser more informed bow heads, if NY DEC regulations state  " A crossbow must have compound or recurve limbs with minimum width of 17 inches (outer tip of limbs excluding wheels and cams, uncocked);" 

Does Axle-to-Axle: 16.125” work out as 17 inches (outer tip of limbs excluding wheels and cams, uncocked? Please remember I am a complete novice with a crossbow so don't know what wheels/cams would do to overall width

If they were selling cannabis presume they would know if product was legal or not in different states. Why not for cross bows?

It would be close... but probably. You would need to measure though as each bow may be a bit different.

Just Curious ..... when was the last time Any ENCON official  was out in the woods measuring anything ? I've been hunting 40 plus years and have never run into an ENCON Officer in the woods ! Anyone ?

Dislike button...just cause you get away with it don’t make it legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Thanks to wolc123 for correcting my time warp.

Another beginners request for informed advice:- 

On line discussions seem to suggest worst feature of cheap bows is that they have lousy scopes and it is better to remove them and put on a decent one. BUT if most shots at no more than 30-?40 yards wouldn't  a red dot sight be more helpful? Anyone tried this?

On 8/30/2020 at 11:17 AM, Downstate Dud said:

Thanks to wolc123 for correcting my time warp.

Another beginners request for informed advice:- 

On line discussions seem to suggest worst feature of cheap bows is that they have lousy scopes and it is better to remove them and put on a decent one. BUT if most shots at no more than 30-?40 yards wouldn't  a red dot sight be more helpful? Anyone tried this?

I will try and answer this one for you after I get in a few hunts with stock scope on my Centerpoint sniper.  I liked it for sighting in with good daylight, but I am not sure how well it will do in the woods, just after sunrise and right before sunset.

The stock red/green dot site on my Barnett recruit has been good in those conditions.  My only worry with that is if the battery goes dead at a bad time (I always carry a spare), and the intensity control knob is hard to turn.

I underestimated the range on my first shot at a deer with that Barnett, resulting in a low hit.  What I thought was a 50 yard shot, turned out to be 59 yards and the bolt struck low. Fortunately, the errors cancelled out.  Insufficient penetration at that range was trumped by shot strike location.  The mechanical broadhead just made it thru the heart.  Had that bolt struck higher, where I had intended, the recovery from a likely single-lung hit would have been much tougher.

• 1 year later...

I have killed all five bucks that I shot at with my $ 250 Barnett Recruit.  I like it better than my  $ 250 Centerpoint sniper 370.  It is not as fast, which limits it’s effective range to about 50 yards, but it is much lighter an easier handling.   The sniper may be good for 60 yards.

The sniper is front heavy and almost needs to be used from a rest.  The recruit handles easier than my Ruger 10/22 carbine and can easily be shot offhand.

I prefer (2) decent economical crossbows for less money than one expensive fancy one.  That way, if one breaks, I keep hunting with the other.  The two different styles is also nice.  I use the longer range heavy one from my blinds with good rests, and the lighter one from hang/on stands, offhand  in standing corn, or from small popup blinds.

1 hour ago, brendaalex said:

1st of all I live in Michigan and the only hunting I do is white tail archery. This season I found that my old weak ass can't draw my bow back from a seated position anymore while up in the treestand. I've decided to go the crossbow route but know virtually nothing about them. I am wondering if I should just start with a cheaper one ( barnett, center point) because my average shot is only around 30 yards in the pine tree forest I hunt anyway. However, I do not want to throw away 2 or 3 hundred dollars if the cheaper ones are complete garbage. In the firearm world I would be the first to say "you get what you pay for" and tend to buy all high end equipment. I do not plan to use this crossbow extensively so I'm struggling with some of the high end prices.
I guess this is the bottom line, is a 2 or 3 hundred dollar crossbow good enough to practice with and hunt with or do I need to at least get into a 700-1000 price to be satisfied with the given scenarios? The Ravin price range is out of the question for now at least because I'm not sure I'm going to love it. I've heard a few people say they tried a crossbow, didn't like it and went back to their compound.
Thanks for the help guys

C8756520-372C-49F9-BEFF-6EBE62A347C7.jpeg

• Haha 1

I had both Barnett and Centerpoint and they work fine for hunting. I eventually bounced for a Wicked Ridge with the built in accudraw system that is a pleasure compared to the detached system I bought for the Centerpoint. When I had mine you had to buy it separately from a different company, but the crossbow worked fine. Good luck.

14 minutes ago, brendaalex said:
I'm looking for recommendations on a crossbow for my grandson. My grandson turns eight this spring and will be hunting next year. He will be hunting from a tree stand and most likely a double hang on set or I may get a double ladder stand.

If you can find this deal

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-Patriot-415-Crossbow-Package-415-FPS-Camo-AXCAW200CKPD/754582846?athbdg=L1300

Side note , not sure if he can legally hunt in NY until he is 12 yrs old.

Edited by suburbanfarmer

• 4 weeks later...

You appear to have travelled back in time around 6 years, to 2014, when the crossbow was permitted as part of the New York archery deer season.

A legal antler must be three inches long. DMPs can be used to tag male deer with shorter antlers, such as "buttons." During hunting season, the majority of "antlerless" bucks, but not all, are approximately 6 months old. That is the year when the amount of flesh on them is at its lowest, but the quality is at its finest. This year, I'm really hoping for one.