Camping and fly fishing advice

BKhunter

Hey All,

How do you all pack in you back country fly fishing gear, and what do you consider must haves to bring. Planning a camping trip and bringing my fly rod, but don't want to bring in overkill. What case/tube do you use to bring in your gear with? Thanks in advance.

BK

I assume you're fishing for trout.

From someone who used to carry a shit ton of stuff with me, I now have it down to a few pockets or sling if I feel I need some extra.

Rod, reel, two new leaders 9' 3x (will handle any streamer), one small spool of 5x tippet (will take care of any dry), nippers, hemostats, ten flies (you can add more), floatant, magnifying glasses.  

The rod tube gets strapped to the outside of the pack, everything else goes into a small bag. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, left field said:

I assume you're fishing for trout.

From someone who used to carry a shit ton of stuff with me, I now have it down to a few pockets or sling if I feel I need some extra.

Rod, reel, two new leaders 9' 3x (will handle any streamer), one small spool of 5x tippet (will take care of any dry), nippers, hemostats, ten flies (you can add more), floatant, magnifying glasses.  

The rod tube gets strapped to the outside of the pack, everything else goes into a small bag. 

Yes was going to give a go at trout.....this was helpful thank you!

1 hour ago, left field said:

My pleasure. Lots of stuff you can add in if it's a fishing-first trip, but you really don't need much if you're just casting for a few hours a day. 

Or tenkara.

Yea I am kinda winging it. First time fly fishing so have my set up ready and going to learn. May want to break up the day a little and hike or just relax at camp. Should be fun regardless.

First time? It may be worth doing a lesson if you have time. 

My guess is that you're going to a lake? If so, you won't have a lot of back casting room so you'll have to develop a decent roll cast.

I might also add a collapsible net as it may be tough to handle fish if you're dealing with a line, leader, etc for the first time. 

Good luck.

• Like 2

Brush up on a preferred  knot for leader attachment .  Nothing worse than leader to fly line  parting ways out in the middle of nowhere. If your a true beginner  that is the hardest knot . Dont count on the damn slinky loop. Been there done that .

I have a 4 piece rod tube that holds the rod with reel attached . That's what I use to hike in . If theres a chance of slip and fall over rugged ground a seperate tube and a reel pouch buried  deep in the pack is probably  a more protective  way to go  .

One decent size box with nymphs, streamers , generic dry . 2 leaders  one up and one down size tippet. Strike indicator  clippers forceps  floatant... small split shot . Insect repellent  of choice and or a preferred cigar. 

Good luck ... pictures please.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Brush up on a preferred  knot for leader attachment .  Nothing worse than leader to fly line  parting ways out in the middle of nowhere. If your a true beginner  that is the hardest knot . Dont count on the damn slinky loop. Been there done that .

I have a 4 piece rod tube that holds the rod with reel attached . That's what I use to hike in . If theres a chance of slip and fall over rugged ground a seperate tube and a reel pouch buried  deep in the pack is probably  a more protective  way to go  .

One decent size box with nymphs, streamers , generic dry . 2 leaders  one up and one down size tippet. Strike indicator  clippers forceps  floatant... small split shot . Insect repellent  of choice and or a preferred cigar. 

Good luck ... pictures please.

Good call on the cigar!!!