Spinner building

chrisw

Started the prep work for this Salmon/steelhead/pike/trout season with some spinner making. Just got a Twistech wire bender and a shipment of components. We do pretty well swinging these through current and casting in staging areas, nothing like a salmon or Steelie smoking a spinner!IMG_20200723_174350608.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It is definitely more satisfying and cost effective taking fish on lures you make yourself.  Also, it provides a great way to use free time in the winter.

Yea it's always cool making your own. It is cheaper than buying them but the initial investment can be a bit pricey. The wire bender I just got was $130 but well worth it to produce professional quality wraps and loops. I'll probably throw some on eBay when I have way too many haha. I've got about $300 in components now too so if you're only using a handful of spinners a year it's easier to just buy them for sure.

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Yea it's always cool making your own. It is cheaper than buying them but the initial investment can be a bit pricey. The wire bender I just got was $130 but well worth it to produce professional quality wraps and loops. I'll probably throw some on eBay when I have way too many haha. I've got about $300 in components now too so if you're only using a handful of spinners a year it's easier to just buy them for sure.

I may try some spinners this winter, I think I have 2 different wire benders, but they are not fancy ones.  It has been a long time since I made spinners.   Usually I stick with jigs.  The materials and equipment for that are always free or very cheap.  My dad made my vise and a girl at work gave me a head mold, after her father passed away.   I have a good supply of lead that somebody gave me, and I never have trouble getting plenty of deer tails.   Several family members raise chickens, so getting those feathers is never a problem.   My nephew has a couple brown chicken heads in the freezer for me now in fact.  I always ask him to lop them off close to the body, so I get plenty of those nice long "hackle" feathers.   My wife never misses a spool or two of thread from her sewing box.   The only thing I need to purchase is the hooks and the powder coat paint.