New bow hanger

Got the idea to build some ultra light weight bow hangers . For awhile ive been wanting to get a 3d printer ,from there i wanted to use it to mold custom carbon fiber . Part of the reason for this project was to start to learn about the bonding procedures for carbon fiber . For the first one i purchased the tube ends so i could see how much clearance they use from the aluminum to the tubing for epoxy . By doing so i learned the ends are also slotted to allow for thermal expansion and not fatigue the epoxy . A few pictures of the build and the total weight is at 5.3 ounces without the tree screw . I have tubing with half the wall thickness for the next batch , i will be making all the tube ends for that build ,i'm guessing the total weight on those will be 3.5 ounces finished. 

20200724_084053.jpg

20200724_090542.jpg

20200724_120111.jpg

20200724_192824.jpg

20200724_192839.jpg

20200724_203955.jpg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Looks amazing! I would think you'd want a deeper hook for the end?

I copied a similar version ive hunted with for a few year ,its plenty wide enough for either your cam or a hole in your riser.  

• Like 1

Heres the difference between the two tubes ,the larger diameter is the current build and the smaller stuff is for round 2. It's crazy if you've never handled carbon fiber ,it weighs nothing ,you can try as hard as you want on a 8 inch piece but you cant even flex it let alone break it.

20200724_211015.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Great job JK.......I love it.  

What's the plan for the screw end?  Gotta be a long slow taper with a sharp point.

I dont have access to a lathe that I can cut a tapered thread on so I called in a favor from a fellow tool maker that I've worked with most of my career. 

Resized_20200720_192846.jpeg

• Like 4