WI Tall Tine Tubers plot 3 weeks in

If you are spreading really small seed like clover you could mix it with something larger, like fertilizer. Usually you fertilize a few days before seeding, but a few pounds extra in a plot will not hurt you or burn the seedlings.  I use a Seedway speaker which I think I got at Ace or True Value. $35 or 40.    

Yours does look like the seed was moved around after spreading. 

Did you use a cultipacker ? That usually pushes the seeds in enough to keep heavy rain from moving them.

I use these 3 seed spreaders.  The little plastic Scott on the left is my favorite for small stuff like clover or turnips. The old cyclone bag spreader in the middle works well for larger stuff like wheat, rye, and soybeans.

The new Chapin bag spreader on the right I have only used for fertilizer and it worked wonderful for that.

The trick for even distribution, aside from cultipacking, is to set the rate on the low side.  Make multiple passes from alternating directions until the correct poundage per acre is spread.

20200721_200707.jpg

for more even coverage, divide the amount of seed you are going to spread in half. do half the passes lengthwise of the plot and the other passes at roughly right angles. Makes a more even distribution in my experience. roll or drag in. Have had pretty good luck with just slowly running over the seed with a atv.

• Like 1

Looks like a nice solid round of rain coming up on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday next week, gotta get in the last 2 plots on August 1st sharp!

Better go out Wednesday afternoon and fertilize both the last plots to prep for Saturday.

WI Ravish Radishes + Winter Peas Plus + I'll stop at the feed store and get some Rye, mix that up and throw it on the kill plot we made tucked in the back.  Probably just put rye on the other acre I tilled up Sunday.  Hopefully everything tilled, planted and germinating by the 3rd or 4th day of August!  

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it, looks good. but the best way to sread seed is to use a hand spreader and spread i ton the light side, so you can go over it twice. This helps from putting too much seeds in one area at a time. and also gives better coverage.. spread it one way then the second way go 90 degrees to the first passes.. 

cheap 20$ red bag seeder works great

On 7/25/2020 at 8:28 AM, Otto said:

If you are spreading really small seed like clover you could mix it with something larger, like fertilizer. Usually you fertilize a few days before seeding, but a few pounds extra in a plot will not hurt you or burn the seedlings.  I use a Seedway speaker which I think I got at Ace or True Value. $35 or 40.    

Yours does look like the seed was moved around after spreading. 

I do the same thing using pelletized lime.  $35 Earthway seeder.  

• Like 1

Definitely after the first hard frost, the turnips become "sweeter" to the deer. And they will hit them harder. After the first good snow, or if snow gets deep, set up close, as they will be all over that plot. 

Nice work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, grampy said:

Definitely after the first hard frost, the turnips become "sweeter" to the deer. And they will hit them harder. After the first good snow, or if snow gets deep, set up close, as they will be all over that plot. 

Nice work!

Setup close eh?  I got just the spot 30 yards away: 

IMG_20200724_171854.jpg

• Like 1

Radishes are doing good Tall  tine tubers are coming in As are the sugar beets and the biologic maximum is now sprouting as well everything is coming in according to plan hopefully by September it will be lush and thick 

C951EE40-5629-4FD6-A27D-FE65AC55617B.jpeg

81655953-A1CC-4FD1-BFEF-CDD27A95F1EE.jpeg

B58920BE-6074-42B1-A6CC-47286FA90AF5.jpeg

3C59B4CC-5905-4392-B6F1-11D7020AAF5D.jpeg

• Like 1

Shot of rain really helped the plots.  The radishes are doing great as are the Tall tine tubers  
the biologic winter bulbs and sugar beets along with the maximum are really coming in great as well. 

should be perfect for early bow into muzzleloader 

C146CF9E-A67C-4D4A-8E9B-F9E4DE38C266.jpeg

40DAE3DC-E667-474E-93A4-5A38255C86E4.jpeg

0376DA4F-7122-481D-9AA0-E64F01E8EF47.jpeg

• Like 2