blackbeltbill

American Woodcock: Some Vocalizations.

Looking forward to October 1st!  I Love to Hunt these Timberdoodles and have a number of Hotspots as far as where they will be Flying into during a Starlit Night on their way South and ahead of any Frost.

2 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I most likely have heard this noise out, but all I ever notice is their wing sound as they fly by me. They taste a little fishy.

Timberdoodles are indeed Tough to Hit!    I suspect, I will probably move some Deer around for the sitting Bowhunters this coming October 1st.

Glad I clicked this one. I was well aware of the take flight vocals, but had no idea of the on ground call. I hear it every year, and never had a clue.

• Like 1

Come late September, I am going to walk early a one of my Woodcock " Fly in" areas to see what the Beavers have been up to.  

I shared this Location info with ATBuckhunter here. 

Nice video, Bill..Thanks for sharing...I have been fortunate to hear and see a few woodcock vocalizing on the ground..

One was in Georgia in February when I was hunting feral hogs and most of the rest were here in NY when I was spring gobbler hunting....As I recall, most of them sounded a bit more NASAL than the video, but  voices vary somewhat, which is why  I can't sing quite as well as Ronnie Milsap....

• Like 2

I have been seeing more Woodcock in Orange County the last few years.  Personally, I think they migrate soon then Hunters Realize.  Can't Wait!

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I have been seeing more Woodcock in Orange County the last few years.  Personally, I think they migrate soon then Hunters Realize.  Can't Wait!

Numbers have increased here. I 've seen Woodcock in November and again in late February, while collecting Maple Sap, this side of the state. I don't think they migrate very far.  Their actions are quite unique. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Numbers have increased here. I 've seen Woodcock in November and again in late February, while collecting Maple Sap, this side of the state. I don't think they migrate very far.  Their actions are quite unique. 

Back when, I was a kid in the mid 1970s- oldtimers would meet at the Local Diner to talk Pheasant,Ruffed Grouse, + especially Woodcock. -- Did The Flight Come In Last Night?  I would listen.  

Now all those Hunters are gone. Time flies.

23 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Back when, I was a kid in the mid 1970s- oldtimers would meet at the Local Diner to talk Pheasant,Ruffed Grouse, + especially Woodcock. -- Did The Flight Come In Last Night?  I would listen.  

Now all those Hunters are gone. Time flies.

I remember my father and granddad get quite worked up over opening Woodcock season, years ago.  I went out with them when I was younger. Remember them saying they reached their limit. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I remember my father and granddad get quite worked up over opening Woodcock season, years ago.  I went out with them when I was younger. Remember them saying they reached their limit. 

Right! The Woodcock opener was almost like The opener of Spring Turkey Today.   How times have changed!

I remember 1 Fall day, I knocked down 2 Woodcock within about 3 minutes amid a good 4 shots. In less then 5 minutes, I hear " Bells" and soon see 2 Orange Blobs enter the Field and head in my direction! The 2 Hunters walked fast in my direction and of course their Dogs reached me first.   I remember getting 1 more Woodcock up and knocking that one down too before these 2 Huntersportant close and their dogs started to Flush those Timberdoodles up.

The Nerve of them to enter my area-- LOL!

• Like 1