Oddest thing you have seen in the deer woods.

agross

I was just wondering what were some of the oddest things you have seen in the woods deer hunting. (Got the idea after watching rerun of primos where guy had bucks chasing does and then fight nuder his stand) THings like fights, mating, deer sounds etc etc

Best i can think of that i ever saw was in Pennsylvania one year while bow hunting just inside woodline i saw a smallish 5 pt get chased off of a doe by a big spike / small fork. The 5 got real pissed and then proceeded to make numerous rubs and scrapes on the other edge of the field.

Other than that i just usually see deer walking by on trails or hauling A during gun season.

• Like 1

Well strangest think i ever saw leaving the deer woods was 2 guys dragging a goat and tying to their car to take to the check station before heading back to buffalo. They were very proud of their spike!! lol... happened in east otto about 20 years ago..

coolest thing ive ever had hapen in the woods was when i was 16 i shot a really big buck with the bow and was dumb and chased the deer tons of blood but no luck finding it. i waited about 6 hrs for my grandfather to get home from work he had me leave my bow in the house since it went onto posted land we went to the last spot of blood and with in minutes deer where coming in from every direction down the hill into the orchard that we were standing in with in5 minutes we had over 20 deer feeding around us as if we werent even there there probably 6 bucks ranging from spikers to baskets 8pointers. some of these deer were with in 10 feet of us and just ket feeding around us i kept burping to make it sound like grunt sounds very awsome experience one i will never for get.

2 years ago I had a great snowy owl land about 20 feet from me. She did a full 180 with her head a couple times which was fun to see. After a bout 20 minutes of watching her I waved, at which poing her eyes from ()v() to OvO before flying away about 100 feet, and higher up, and then spent 5 mintues pacing back and forth trying to figure out what the eff I was. That's the sort of thing you see when you can wear full camo in bow season without fear of being plugged by an idiot.

At the checking station a couple years back in Mexico Ny i think it was, we brought my grandpas buck there, and 5 minutes in a guy from the city came over in his truck all happy about the doe he took... He pulled it out of the back of his truck and it happened to be a german shepard... Cops were called on spot and he was taken away.

While tracking a buck my brother shot his first year bowhunting down this nasty ravine we decided to break for lunch. Sat down pulled out our lunch and we were talking up a storm not even being quite and we hear this noise behind us, we were goofing around and didnt notice a doe standing so close to us we could reach out and slap it. It was very cool to see. T

I was sitting in my stand one day about 12 foot up and looked in the tree to the side of me there was a wood chuck looking right at me. He was about 12 foot up in the tree. I never knew until then that a wood chuck could climb trees.

I had something similar happen. I sat down turkey hunting one day and a few minutes later looked to my right and up and saw a wood chuck coming down from a tree (8-10) feet up.

Saw a couple nice bucks lock up while fall turkey hunting.

Hawk landed above me one time

Chick a dee landed on my arrow

A couple red squirrels raising hell (which ended up decapitated) during bow season, one was only a graze but had a red-tail come in and play cat and mouse with him for a while (the red tail won).

Had another red squirrel raising hell during turkey and i got to the point where i figured nothing was going to come in with this racquet. Pulled up on him and could not see him through the scope (directly above me) so i looked down the side of the barrel and gave him a load of #4 turkey shot, he landed about 5 feet from me (what was left of him). I packed up shop and headed out and as i was crawling under the fence the flock of turkeys showed up crossing the field (ended up taking two hens with one shot).

Coon made it about a foot from my feet while turkey hunting (pitch black out) before he realized something wasn't quite right.

Probably the coolest thing i have ever experienced was my first ever goose hunt. A buddy and myself layed out in a combined corn field no blinds (just covered with corn stubble) and a dozen crappy carry lite shells (neither one of us really had a clue what we were doing. No birds all afternoon and then my buddy spots a flock of about 50 way off over the top of the hedge row headed our way. Well 50 went to 100 to 200 to 400 plus and as soon as the first birds cleared the hedge they locked up and started dropping. Before we knew it we had a cloud of geese flying and landing all around us. I sit and sit waiting for my buddy to give the signal but he was aw-struck and never says a peep. One of the last birds to come down comes in from my right and i close my eyes because i think i am on the X. I felt the wind as he passed over and landed about 5-6 feet to my left. He starts walking toward me and before long i feel pressure on my left knee. He knew something wasn't right and decided to move in a hurry. Finally we get our act together and jump up swing on the birds and unload six shells between us and never cut a dam feather. :sarcastichand:

Nothing outrageous but never the less cool encounters.That's the type of stuff that keeps me going back even if i don't end up bringing home game.

Climbed up in my stand last year before daylight. Got settled in and waited for light. As it started to get to the point I could see, I looked over to see something moving in the tree next to me (about 15 feet away). A little more light and I realized it was a Tom turkey roosted for the night! He paced back and forth on that branch for about 15 minutes trying to figure out what I was, how I got there, and how HE was getting the heck out of there!

I also had a stray cat follow me into the woods on the first day of deer season a few years back. She was sitting ON my boots when I shot my deer that morning. Four deer walked within 20 feet of me.

Climbed up in my stand last year before daylight. Got settled in and waited for light. As it started to get to the point I could see, I looked over to see something moving in the tree next to me (about 15 feet away). A little more light and I realized it was a Tom turkey roosted for the night! He paced back and forth on that branch for about 15 minutes trying to figure out what I was, how I got there, and how HE was getting the heck out of there!

I also had a stray cat follow me into the woods on the first day of deer season a few years back. She was sitting ON my boots when I shot my deer that morning. Four deer walked within 20 feet of me.

that happened to me with a cat. when it got by my stand i sprayed it with scent killer and it scared 8 of its 9 lives out of it, lol

i had a hawk fly out of the same tree i was in and nab the chipmunk i was intently watching all afternoon right out from under me.

saw a blue jay attack a gray squirrel... blue jay won.

ive had deer walk up to me close enough to poke them in the eyes and i got it all on tape. that was the defining moment that got me into deer hunting haha

the coolest thing ive had happen was when i was sitting in my stand before dark early in the season, i kept hearing something above me breathing, it was very faint but very consistent and every now n then i could hear it move. dont you kno its a porcupine sleepin. well he woke up and started getting closer so i decided to make it apparent that i was there and so i started movin. well when they move they move at a snails pace and it was cool to watch him, then i moved and he stopped and looked at me for a little bit got a little closer trying to figure out what i was then decided he'd better get movin up to the top of the tree and fast. that porcupine hauled butt up to the top and chilled there the rest of my hunt. it was so comical to watch him with how slow he moved on the way down and how fast he moved on the way up.

Ok ready for this one this really happened to me.

I was bow hunting around the early 90's i think

93 a warm oct afternoon.It was a trac of land between

a corn field and a road with houses on it.A couple walked

down from one of the house's to a area that was alittle thick

and brushy they laid their blanket down and proceeded to

have some fun.These were a grown couple probably looking

to liven things up.At first I was gonna warn them butI got embarressed

to say anything.Then this lasted about 30mins and I was gooing to clap

but decided not to embarress them so they just finished and left.

needless to say I saw no deer that day.I sware this is a true story

and everytime I got back in that stand I thought of that day and what

happened.

Edited by hb270deermanager

Had a porcupine climb right up my tree to my stand while I was bowhunting. That was cool. I didnt want to shoot it because I didnt know what I would have done with it after. None the less very cool. The thing had to be at least 30-40lbs. Biggest porkie I ever saw in the wild.