Oddest thing you have seen in the deer woods.

agross

Ok ready for this one this really happened to me.

I was bow hunting around the early 90's i think

93 a warm oct afternoon.It was a trac of land between

a corn field and a road with houses on it.A couple walked

down from one of the house's to a area that was alittle thick

and brushy they laid their blanket down and proceeded to

have some fun.These were a grown couple probably looking

to liven things up.At first I was gonna warn them butI got embarressed

to say anything.Then this lasted about 30mins and I was gooing to clap

but decided not to embarress them so they just finished and left.

needless to say I saw no deer that day.I sware this is a true story

and everytime I got back in that stand I thought of that day and what

happened.

Now there's a great story! Sounds like the rut was in full swing that day. I bet if there was ever a day you were glad your camo was keeping you well hidden, it was that day, huh? LOL

• Like 1

Weirdest thing i ever saw was in the springtime. There was a spider and som other weird bug fighting. They were locked onto eachtother and the unknown bug actually killed the spider and startred dragging it away. It was like something you would see out of National Geographic. I got it on video too and everybody i show just watches in disbelief.

John

Edited by mbucks27

Was sitting on the ground, gun hunting a few years ago. I had a this year's deer come right up to me, sniff me (within 2 feet), and then slowly back away.

The hardest part of the entire experience was to not make eye contact with the deer so that it didn't spook. I swear to god my heart was going to pound out of my chest.

• Like 1

Ok ready for this one this really happened to me.

I was bow hunting around the early 90's i think

93 a warm oct afternoon.It was a trac of land between

a corn field and a road with houses on it.A couple walked

down from one of the house's to a area that was alittle thick

and brushy they laid their blanket down and proceeded to

have some fun.These were a grown couple probably looking

to liven things up.At first I was gonna warn them butI got embarressed

to say anything.Then this lasted about 30mins and I was gooing to clap

but decided not to embarress them so they just finished and left.

needless to say I saw no deer that day.I sware this is a true story

and everytime I got back in that stand I thought of that day and what

happened.

Note: He kept going back to that stand! :D

• Like 2

I have quite a few cool encounters.

Had a big owl almost get me while sitting in the dark 25 feet up a tree waiting for light. That scared the beep outa me.

Have had the luck to see quite a few snow owls and eagles more recently.

Had a Coopers Hawk take out a pheasant right in front of me while in my climber. That was super cool. Bam

Had a skunk play chicken with me while crossing a stream on a log. He won!

Sitting in my climber one opener on state land and had a guy come in and climb a tree 40 feet from me. To late to move as in 10 minutes to sun up. We looked like a couple idiots staring at each other.

Had a couple teachers bring a whole van load of kids to hike on opening day on state land. None in safety colors and some in browns!! Flippin antis are loons.

Had a guy park next to me one opening morning drove from over an hour away and had his gun lock on and the key was back home.

Had a button come up to me while sitting in a swamp and came within an inch of putting his nose on my boot. After what seemed forever I said boo and I think he just about peed himself.

Those are more like the neatest not oddest, the oddest would be some of the hunters I have witnessed! Boy some of them are sumptin!

Weirdest thing i ever saw was in the springtime. There was a spider and som other weird bug fighting. They were locked onto eachtother and the unknown bug actually killed the spider and startred dragging it away. It was like something you would see out of National Geographic. I got it on video too and everybody i show just watches in disbelief.

John

I would love to see that video. You have it up anywhere?

Not very odd, but cool: two years ago during deer season (gun), a male grouse would walk by my stand at the same time every day, hop onto a nearby log (maybe 20 yards) and drum for a few hours. He did this for the entirety of the gun season, off and on. There were a few days when he didn't show and we thought maybe he was something's lunch, but then he'd show up again the next day! It was very fun to watch. One time a whole family of grouse (mom with the grown-up chicks) came down to check him out. My husband and I named him and we agreed that when we went grousing after deer season was over that we weren't allowed to pop him! :lol:

The story about the couple is too funny!

Edited by Jennifer

Few years ago spring Turkey hunting I'm up against a tree got a pair of deeks out next thing you know a few Deer in the feild just a few yards from me just eating casually. Now I hear hoof thumping, figured I'm busted and withing seconds the spot will be blown.

Nope, big doe pops out and can't seem to figgure out whey these Turkeys won't move. Right after that she's within a few feet of me munching on some leaves - and then she noticed me, or something odd about the tree next to her. I have a full face mask on but it was the 2 minute stare down - no blinking. And the Doe continued to stare right at me chewing slowly and finaly wondered off.

Maybe not the oddest thing but damn cool.

Edited by Fantail

This past opening saturday i'm sitting in my stand and at about 7:30am a huge hawk flies down and lands on the branch right above me. It was so close I could have reached out and touched it. It perched there for about 10 secs. By the time I got my phone out of my jumpsuit to take a picture it flew off. This is why I love hunting and being outdoors.

I was turkey hunting with my nephew last fall when we hear all heck breaking loose in the brush in front of us. We had no idea what was coming. All of the sudden out of the brush comes beatuiful 8 point with a spike trailing it. They casually walked by us, maybe 15 ft. away and never had a clue we were there. My nephew was 12 and it was definitely something he will always remember.

Yesterday - I watched a mink chase a chipmunk within 2 feet of me. It then proceded to chase it right at me - i had to jump up and they went within a foot of my left leg ! The chipmunk escaped into a hole. Here's the best part - the mink then turned looked at me and charged me ! it must have been ticked off that it lost it's meal - it stoped about 2 feet from me and stared me down for a good 60 seconds

• Like 1

I was sitting in my stand one day about 12 foot up and looked in the tree to the side of me there was a wood chuck looking right at me. He was about 12 foot up in the tree. I never knew until then that a wood chuck could climb trees.

How do you think they learn to "chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could"

Last year turkey hunting I was set-up along a logging trail looking down it (maybe 50 yard line of site). Off to the left I heard what sounded like a pack or horses running through the woods. I was so upset, ( and trying to figure out who the hell was on property with horses) that I stood up to see. Just as I stood up, a herd of whitetails broke through the brush and crossed the trail right in front of me. They were 2 and 3 abreast, and I counted at least 8 tails running past me, but I'm sure there were more.

After I caught my breath and (checked my pants), I paced out the distance they crossed from of me at 8-10 yards. No clue what spooked them, or where they ended up, but definitely an experience I'll never forget.