Oddest thing you have seen in the deer woods.

agross

I climbed into my treestand one morning and had company from a rat.

Another time a chickadee landed on my boot, climbed my leg and arm to my shoulder, hopped across the collar of my coat, bit me on the ear lobe and flew away.

Wierdest thing I saw was when I was 15 in a tree stand with my brother. Late afternoon and we are watching a deer come in waiting for a shot. It walked next to a hemlock and some kind of cat jumped on its back and took off chasing the deer and screaming down the mountain. Nearly gave us the chits. It was too far and too low light to see whether it was a bobcat or a lion.

had an owl come in for the kill on my cell phone when i was texting the wife on watch in my stand.It got withing inches.We were literaly face to face about a foot or so apart.I jumped then it flew into a tree about 15 feet away.I tried to get a pic with my phone then it flew to the next tree and just sat there for a few minuites staring at me.It was awsome!

i was in the woods the second weekend of bow and i havent seen one deer yet, i was hunting a afternoon hunt, and to my left a little doe pops up. i got so happy first deer of season im gonna shoot it,it was 30 yards and then right behind it i see movment so i pull down my bow and wait hopeing for a buck. as they approch it turns out to be 8 turkeys, and what was strange to me was the turkeys start to fight with the deer or play idk,and the doe runs off,it was just so funny to see turkeys beat up a deer. they were pecking at it weird,it was just cool to watch i guess even know the turkeys messed up my chance to take the doe.wish i had a camera that day

Edited by myke123

Couple years back i was pulling tree stands in the spring. As i walked through the field to my first set, i noticed something in the wheat field parallel to me and keeping pace with me. As i got into the open woods, i noticed it was a bird about the size of a small female pheasant but didn't know exactly what it was. It followed me to my first stand ,squawking and right on my heels. I climbed up and started lowering the stand while he stood at the base of the tree the whole time. On we went together to the next stand and the next stand. About 5 hrs later and 3 creek crossings that he had to fly across, i loaded the stands on the 4 wheeler and headed for the barn, a good 3/4 of a mile away. I went at a medium pace to see what would happen and the poor guy ran as fast as he could to keep up the whole way. At the barn i stacked the stuff away while he watched through the overhead door and i couldn't take it any more so i found a box, walked up and picked him up like a kitten. Now i had to know what this bird was and why it was acting the way it was so i drove to my dads and showed him. He took one look and said it was a female Grouse.? Never saw one in my life. I drove back and while driving through the field i heaved her out the window for fear she would continue to follow me if i got out and let her go. Still no idea why she followed me for at least 4 miles and let me pick her up like a pet..? I think she had a crush on me.LOL

One other cool thing while hunting. Was sitting in a creekbottom stand one evening and i could see turkeys coming off the upper fields, flying just abovethe tree tops, and landing in the trees to roost for the night. Well as they one by one came over, i could see one coming my way from a couple hundred yrds out and he's headed my way. With their great eyesight, there's no way he's not going to see me right? Apparently this one was blind because dispite my eyes bugging out of my head and my arms being raised to protect my face, he brushes right by me and lands on the limb not three ft from my head. We stood there looking at each other like "one of us has to go" for about thirty seconds when he decided he really felt like finding another tree where he could sleep alone. It was quite a sight to see 20# of spurs and feathers crash landing right next to my face..

Couple years back i was pulling tree stands in the spring. As i walked through the field to my first set, i noticed something in the wheat field parallel to me and keeping pace with me. As i got into the open woods, i noticed it was a bird about the size of a small female pheasant but didn't know exactly what it was. It followed me to my first stand ,squawking and right on my heels. I climbed up and started lowering the stand while he stood at the base of the tree the whole time. On we went together to the next stand and the next stand. About 5 hrs later and 3 creek crossings that he had to fly across, i loaded the stands on the 4 wheeler and headed for the barn, a good 3/4 of a mile away. I went at a medium pace to see what would happen and the poor guy ran as fast as he could to keep up the whole way. At the barn i stacked the stuff away while he watched through the overhead door and i couldn't take it any more so i found a box, walked up and picked him up like a kitten. Now i had to know what this bird was and why it was acting the way it was so i drove to my dads and showed him. He took one look and said it was a female Grouse.? Never saw one in my life. I drove back and while driving through the field i heaved her out the window for fear she would continue to follow me if i got out and let her go. Still no idea why she followed me for at least 4 miles and let me pick her up like a pet..? I think she had a crush on me.LOL

This is something quirky that sometimes happens with female grouse!! Sometimes they get really enamored with a human for some reason, which is pretty funny. Check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=friendly+grouse&nfpr=0

Sometimes they are attracted to vehicles like ATVs, because of the low frequency 'putting' of the engine is similar to a male grouse drumming... but who knows why they are so friendly with people?! I think it's really cool.

• Like 1

I was sitting in my stand one day about 12 foot up and looked in the tree to the side of me there was a wood chuck looking right at me. He was about 12 foot up in the tree. I never knew until then that a wood chuck could climb trees.

Yup, I had no idea either. This year I'm riding down a trail on my atv. I see something run down the trail in front of the atv and then climb right up a tree like a squirrel. 10-15 ft up it stops and looks at me. Woodchuck.

Ok ready for this one this really happened to me.

I was bow hunting around the early 90's i think

93 a warm oct afternoon.It was a trac of land between

a corn field and a road with houses on it.A couple walked

down from one of the house's to a area that was alittle thick

and brushy they laid their blanket down and proceeded to

have some fun.These were a grown couple probably looking

to liven things up.At first I was gonna warn them butI got embarressed

to say anything.Then this lasted about 30mins and I was gooing to clap

but decided not to embarress them so they just finished and left.

needless to say I saw no deer that day.I sware this is a true story

and everytime I got back in that stand I thought of that day and what

happened.

Too bad it was in the 90's, today it would be on Youtube by now :-)

Great Story BTW

I was in my stand & could see a guy walking in from the road towards me . He walked into the woods about 50 yds. away to a fallen tree, dropped his one piece blaze orange suit took a crap, did the paper work, pulled up his suit, turned & waved to me & walked back out of the woods to his car. lmao!