Gout .... WTF

GreeneHunter

I had to help remove gout from the back of the neck of a 12 foot gharial once.  It was at the top of it's neck at the base of it's skull.  When they cut it open, it was like feta cheese.  The vet scoop it out with a spoon.

I will again ask the same question I asked Lefty...how many times during a cocktail party did you lead with, “Then, there was this one time when I helped remove gout from a 12’ gharial!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

I will again ask the same question I asked Lefty...how many times during a cocktail party did you lead with, “Then, there was this one time when I helped remove gout from a 12’ gharial!”

After high school I got a job as a zoo keeper at the Bronx Zoo.  I worked in the herpetology department.  My guidance counselor hooked me up because he knew the director there.  They drugged it up and then threw a towel over it's eyes.  Gators and crocs calms down a bit when you cover it's eyes.  Then a bunch of us jumped on it's back to tie it up.  I was assigned the tail.  I think they did it as a prank because it was only a few months into the job and I was maybe 140 lbs at most at the time.  Big guy stayed calm though.  After the year I realized as much as I loved animals, I kind of like money too so off I went to college.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 1:35 PM, crappyice said:

I will again ask the same question I asked Lefty...how many times during a cocktail party did you lead with ...

So this one time, in Malaysia, I parked in front of my house and saw my neighbour sitting on top of his car. I got out and was about to ask him what he was doing when an 8' monitor lizard came around his car and headed toward me. 

We spent an hour chatting on top of our cars until the lizard went back into the jungle. 

image.png.1d795ec6f5b2f8b1b82de158abaac4c9.png

Edited by left field
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, left field said:

So this one time, in Malaysia, I parked in front of my house and saw my neighbour sitting on top of his car. I got out and was about to ask him what he was doing when an 8' monitor lizard came around his car and headed toward me. 

We spent an hour chatting on top of our cars until the lizard went back into the jungle. 

Are they dangerous? And if so that guy on the MC heading towards it is screwed. 

Amazing

1 hour ago, left field said:

Taste like Chicken ?

They can be dangerous. Or put another way, I didn't want to find out. They are fast as hell and would kill cats and dogs in the neighbourhood. 

The Komodo Dragon is the largest of the monitors. There's a lot of video of them eating deer and pigs alive but I won't post them.

The real bitch were the monkeys who would climb in your window to steal and eat your food.

Of course, then there was the guy I met who kept a tiger in his apt in Mexico City. I'll save that for another time.

P.S. But I'd rather face a monitor than full-on gout. Or dengue again.

Edited by left field
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

So the wife says we need to back off Seafood .... Hmmmmm whom shall I give all the Shrimp to ?

Yep, too much shellfish will definitely trigger a attack. Allopurinol taken every day keeps the uric acid levels in check. Took a while to get the dosage correct, but I can have seafood without worrying if I'll be in pain the next day.  

On 8/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, left field said:

They can be dangerous. Or put another way, I didn't want to find out. They are fast as hell and would kill cats and dogs in the neighbourhood. 

The Komodo Dragon is the largest of the monitors. There's a lot of video of them eating deer and pigs alive but I won't post them.

The real bitch were the monkeys who would climb in your window to steal and eat your food.

Of course, then there was the guy I met who kept a tiger in his apt in Mexico City. I'll save that for another time.

P.S. But I'd rather face a monitor than full-on gout. Or dengue again.

Komodo's have poisonous saliva that other monitors don't have so that helps them.

PS: Oh...Gila Monsters are poisonous too.

Edited by Elmo

Yeah, I was surprised to just read that as I grew up believing it was the bacteria. You'd think that 12 feet of cold blooded dragon teeth would be enough to get by, but no ... venom too. I couldn't watch the video of three of them eating a deer alive. 

There's small quirky movie called The Freshman starring Matthew Broderick and Marlon Brando playing a version of Vito Corleone that features a Komodo Dragon. Worth a watch.

6 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

So the wife says we need to back off Seafood .... Hmmmmm whom shall I give all the Shrimp to ?

Get on allopurinol and eat whatever you want...I've been on it for years, and it doesn't affect me...affect me....affect me.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, left field said:

Yeah, I was surprised to just read that as I grew up believing it was the bacteria. You'd think that 12 feet of cold blooded dragon teeth would be enough to get by, but no ... venom too. I couldn't watch the video of three of them eating a deer alive. 

There's small quirky movie called The Freshman starring Matthew Broderick and Marlon Brando playing a version of Vito Corleone that features a Komodo Dragon. Worth a watch.

I saw one that opened up a deer's belly, ripped out a near full term fetus, and ate the fetus while while the mother deer was still alive.

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Get on allopurinol and eat whatever you want...I've been on it for years, and it doesn't affect me...affect me....affect me.....

Your lucky.  I take 2 pill twice a day. ( Can't remember the dosage. Have to look at the bottle) and if I over do seafood, I'll get a mild case. Colchicine knocks that out quickly.