Old 20 gauge bolt action,,anyone know anything??

I know this is a long shot but i just picked up a really old 20 gauge bolt action shotgun.It has no serial number on it no marking from a maker im not shure what it is..My one buddy said they didnt even put serial numbers on super old guns,and my uncle says they do i have to find it.Has anyone ever had,seen,or even heard about a gun like this!!I'm going to try and post a pic up!!

Most commercial guns would have some kind of marking, especially a bolt action since most bolt action shotguns were relatively recent, at least compared to break open single barrels and double guns.

One possibility... After WWI and WWII, there were quite a few military mausers that were brought home as souveniers. Proper ammo was hard to come by at that time, so a significant number of them were rebarreled as shotguns. The ones I have seen were 12 gauge, but I see no reason why some of them could not have been rebarreled to 20 gauge..Such a gun might be relatively void of markings...

If its that old to be honest i know nothing about the gun I could be wrong but the barrel fits size looks that of a 20 gauge,and the guy i got it from said it was a 20 gauge so thats what i went on.I just got it because all my guns are new and it looks pretty cool i wanted to restore it and bring her shine back!!Im going to do some looking around.

Mossberg and Stevens made 20ga bolt action guns.....also 410's.(and marketed through Sears as J.C.Higgins also when Savage had them)

I have a 410 Mossberg NIB.....post pics of the action each side and from the top and that will help.

DONT "shine" it up until you know what you have.

• Like 1