Old 20 gauge bolt action,,anyone know anything??

Most bolt action shotguns were manufactured either by Savage/Stevens or Mossburg. Marlin made a couple models, as did Winchester and others.

Sears, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto and others had the guns made by Mossberg , Stevens, Marlin , High Standard and perhaps others and had thier own trademarks put on them..That explains the similarities in many "hardware" brands. Mossberg made most of the bolt actions. The levers were Marlins...The break open single shots were made by dozens of manufacturers. The pumps and autos were mostly High Standard. Doubles were made by many manufacturers back in the 1800s and early 1900s, but the more recent doubles were Savage/Stevens.

I got some info that may be helpful to you from my brother. When I described it he said it sounds like a "lunch box" gun. I thought he was pulling my leg. Anyway just like we all pocket things from where we work, gunsmiths on the factory lines would build their own guns by taking parts over time. They did it before the stamping. And per him, there are a number of different ones around. He had an old double 410 Ithaca that wasn't marked ithaca but had the gunsmiths name engraved.

• Like 1

I got some info that may be helpful to you from my brother. When I described it he said it sounds like a "lunch box" gun. I thought he was pulling my leg. Anyway just like we all pocket things from where we work, gunsmiths on the factory lines would build their own guns by taking parts over time. They did it before the stamping. And per him, there are a number of different ones around. He had an old double 410 Ithaca that wasn't marked ithaca but had the gunsmiths name engraved.

That is a term I never heard, interesting... Thanks for sharing that

The bolt action Mossberg 20 gauge that is being discussed here with the c-lect a choke is a model 385KB.

I have the same gun. It was my first shotgun my dad bought for me in 1978. They also made them in 12 gauge.

Im still trying to upload pics im wondering if the gun is worth anything?

I don't think there is presently much collector interest in bolt action shotguns.

But who knows, perhaps in 20 years there might be.

When I was a kid, you could buy surplus military rifles for as little as ten bucks apiece. Many of those are worth hundreds of dollars apiece now.

Back in the early 70s I bought an 1895 Chilean Mauser in excellent condition for $35. I sporterized it and it became my first deer rifle. If I had that same rifle now in unaltered condition, it would be worth several hundred dollars.

If its that old to be honest i know nothing about the gun I could be wrong but the barrel fits size looks that of a 20 gauge,and the guy i got it from said it was a 20 gauge so thats what i went on.I just got it because all my guns are new and it looks pretty cool i wanted to restore it and bring her shine back!!Im going to do some looking around.

If its that old to be honest i know nothing about the gun I could be wrong but the barrel fits size looks that of a 20 gauge,and the guy i got it from said it was a 20 gauge so thats what i went on.I just got it because all my guns are new and it looks pretty cool i wanted to restore it and bring her shine back!!Im going to do some looking around.

I would be very careful as to what you restore and how you restore as it may very well de-value the gun.

• 9 years later...

I just had one burn up in a house fire, a week ago. It was 70 years old. I bought it when I was 12 years old (1951). It had a 2 round magazine and an adjustable choke on the end of the barrel. I really hate losing this gun because it was my very first gun. You are correct when you say there is No serial number Because It does Not have a serial number no matter what anyone says

• Sad 1

• 8 months later...

I just started researching and came across this even though this is 9 years old.   I found this info about the different models of this shotgun, depending on which it is, it was man. from 1947 to 1959. Ive tried to paste a link but it wont paste it but did allow me to paste below what was on top of the page    The website is alloutdoor.com 

Curious Relics #008: O.F. Mossberg & Sons 185D Bolt-Action Shotgun

2 hours ago, left field said:

Man, this thread is like my date with Mary Ann Magillitcutty in the ninth grade. One very long tease and when I finally got her sweater off ... "is that all there is?"

That's why it's best to make sure you look at the first post of a thread to see the date. Why people revive threads like this is a little odd to me.